'Check for Updates' box difficult to navigate to

jwill

Under Configure, System, the "Check For Updates" box is tricky to navigate to. It is like a puzzle...it took me a while of bouncing around randomly to figure out how to approach it from below. It seems impossible to navigate to it from above.

Scott84Z28

I assume he means while in MBC, not the configurator.  If you go in the config in MBC, and the bottom there is a button for check for updates.  You just have to scroll down through the menu to get to it eventually.  I never use it though, everytime I log into MBC with my admin account it automatically prompts me to install the new updates.

• Like 1

HTPCity_Planner

I assume he means while in MBC, not the configurator.  If you go in the config in MBC, and the bottom there is a button for check for updates.  You just have to scroll down through the menu to get to it eventually.  I never use it though, everytime I log into MBC with my admin account it automatically prompts me to install the new updates.

I use the bolded way also.  Never had a problem.

I am talking about the checkbox to turn on or off automatically "Check for Updates", not the box to manually 'Check for Update' now.

ltLj2ac.png

Edited by jwill

CBers

@@jwill - leave it checked all the time.

That way you'll get notified and can take action when you want.

What are you using to navigate around the menus, a remote, mouse or keyboard ??

Don't get confused with the "Check for Update" at the bottom right of that screen, in the middle of CONTINUE and UPDATE LIRARY.

That's the one to use when you want to check from within MBC.

Edited by CBers

What are you using to navigate around the menus, a remote, mouse or keyboard ??

Don't get confused with the "Check for Update" at the bottom right of that screen, in the middle of CONTINUE and UPDATE LIRARY.

That's the one to use when you want to check from within MBC.

I'm not confused. Please read my post carefully. There is a bug in MBC that does not link the "Check For Updates" checkbox properly to the items around it. If you use the remote or keyboard to try to navigate to the box, it is very difficult. It cannot be approached from above at all.

Edited by jwill

CBers

I'm not confused. Please read my post carefully. There is a bug in MBC that does not link the "Check For Updates" checkbox properly to the items around it. If you use the remote or keyboard to try to navigate to the box, it is very difficult. It cannot be approached from above at all.

I'm not in front of my HTPC at the moment, but perhaps @@ebr can take a look.

phatnovice

I just tried this on my laptop using the keyboard and can confirm that moving up and down through the left hand menu, you can't get to the check for updates check box. I had to go to the right hand column move to the Make watched menu item and then use the left cursor key to get to it.

I'd never come across this behavior before because I usual;y use a mouse when doing the initial config.

I just tried this on my laptop using the keyboard and can confirm that moving up and down through the left hand menu, you can't get to the check for updates check box. I had to go to the right hand column move to the Make watched menu item and then use the left cursor key to get to it.

That is one of two ways to get to it. There is actually one other, you can get to it from below if you first navigate to the [-] box below it then go up.

But it should not be such a puzzle to get to it. Just hitting down arrow several times from the top left column should include that checkbox, but it does not.

This is just an oddity in how WMC handles navigation.  Should be fixed but it is actually quite tricky to do so.  I'll look at it when I get some time.

Maybe the real question to ask is... does that choice need to be in two different places for the same client? Doesn't that just lead to problems when a user is positive they've set it one way, but maybe it was in the wrong place? Which has precedent over the other?

Maybe the real question to ask is... does that choice need to be in two different places for the same client? Doesn't that just lead to problems when a user is positive they've set it one way, but maybe it was in the wrong place? Which has precedent over the other?

It is just two different views of the same item.  It isn't possible for it to be turned on in one place and not the other.

It is just two different views of the same item.  It isn't possible for it to be turned on in one place and not the other.

OK, that's good to know.