Feature: Merge libraries from multiple servers

fiktr

Hi, Why do you need two different servers?

What can't you just make a drive share from the one computer and mount it on the other and have a libraries on one Emby Server?

MyMediaAtHome
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, Why do you need two different servers?

What can't you just make a drive share from the one computer and mount it on the other and have a libraries on one Emby Server?

Because merging servers is far more flexible.
As an example you could merge  a server on an Android phone in Germany,  iPhone in Japan, 3x Windows PC in Florida and  a MacBook in Australia.

Merging that way has an additional benefit. Control.
I could for example share a server but exclude a certain folder with presentations I made for work.

That question was to GhostDemon616 concerning Emby use for his kids.
There is potentially a simpler solution for his particular setup.

• 5 months later...
AZOMBIEonCRACK

+1 

This would be useful for a lot of user's setups with people that are not too network savvy or get discouraged easily.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Houfino said:

5 years and nothing?  😕 😕

Hi.  This is still something we're interested in but as a personal media server the vast majority of our users don't need this functionality so other items have taken priority so far.

Tom83

I love your work (lifetime premier subscriber here) and use emby every day with great satisfaction.  It's one of the best investments I've ever made.

That said, I must say that I think you're underestimating what a game changing feature this would be.

21 minutes ago, Tom83 said:

I think you're underestimating what a game changing feature this would be.

Hi.  I can see it as game-changing for people trying to run illegal streaming sites :) and we would have to figure out how to combat that.  Can you outline how it would benefit a majority of Emby users? 

Like I said, we are still interested in this but there are other features that benefit a much wider audience still.

Tom83
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I can see it as game-changing for people trying to run illegal streaming sites :) and we would have to figure out how to combat that.  Can you outline how it would benefit a majority of Emby users? 

Like I said, we are still interested in this but there are other features that benefit a much wider audience still.

Hopefully my reply doesn't come off as argumentative.  It's not intended that way.  Just trying to better understand the concern.

How would that benefit pirate sites if only the owner could actually link them?  Wouldn't he or she need to share their emby premier key in order to do that?  Also, they'd still be subject to the same client limit, wouldn't they?  I'm sure I'm missing something....

I never claimed that it would benefit a majority of users..... but for those who have legitimate uses for this, emby would be the only real option.

1 minute ago, Tom83 said:

How would that benefit pirate sites if only the owner could actually link them?  Wouldn't he or she need to share their emby premier key in order to do that?  Also, they'd still be subject to the same client limit, wouldn't they?  I'm sure I'm missing something....

I don't really want to explain any more (don't need to educate people on how they may do this) but, suffice it to say, it would make it much easier for them to "fly under our radar".

2 minutes ago, Tom83 said:

I never claimed that it would benefit a majority of users

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you said that.  It is just that, with our limited resources, we need to apply them to features that do benefit a majority of the user base.

Thanks.

Tom83
1 minute ago, ebr said:

I don't really want to explain any more (don't need to educate people on how they may do this) but, suffice it to say, it would make it much easier for them to "fly under our radar".

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you said that.  It is just that, with our limited resources, we need to apply them to features that do benefit a majority of the user base.

Thanks.

That's fair.

Thanks for the dialogue.

• 2 months later...
On 7/5/2021 at 9:28 AM, ebr said:

Can you outline how it would benefit a majority of Emby users? 

How I would see this being quite useful to users in general would be setting up a couple of NAS boxes.
For example a Synology 920+ has only 4 drive bays.  Once filled you either have to get a bigger NAS or expansion box which costs more than a new NAS.

So being able to "join" servers would allow you to have one box mainly for Movies and another mainly for TV Shows as just one example.
This would reduce the size of library.db files since there is less content on each box.  It would give you the ability to support more streams as each box can only transcode/tone map a few streams when not direct played, etc..

If you had a large music collection (tends to slow down Emby Server) you could put this on it's own box which wouldn't need a GPU.
So there could be some really nice advantages to doing this.

It would not be unreasonable to require a separate "add on server license" for any joined servers. The addon server would not need users populated as all validation of users could still be done on the main server.

• 4 weeks later...
brwoodford

Add my experience to this as a "Why" use case.

Recently I decommissioned my 24 bay Unraid server. Space, noise and just heavy monster to keep moving about (Moved countries a few times in past 3 years).

I was looking for a way to have smaller boxes, and actually wanted to move away from spinning metal and use 3-4 smaller off the shelf nas boxes (like the Synology 620Slim) with SSD each running their own collections but presented as one.

On the synology I did try and use the remote drive map via SMB and NFS (So can have one master Emby, with shares to others) but they proved unstable and timed out their connections over a few days. I tried using unassigned drives on Unraid, and this was solid when connected to the Sinology's, but would mean building an unraid box just for this use (Currently you need at least one spinning disk in unraid, before you can setup ssd pools).

Long story short, I gave up and to many headache and would end up being a mix of off the shelf and some custom NUC or mini PC acting as Linux or Unraid front end. Bought a TrueNas Mini XL (And put unraid on it :D :D ) and fully loaded it with 12tb HDD and some SSD for Cache/Docker. Its still much larger than I wanted, but smaller than a 4u rack server. But I know I will hit the issue again in future when these disks fill up and it cant scale without either replacing the disks, or throwing on additional external drive bays. Would be nice to walk to nearest computer shop, and buy what ever the latest reasonable value Synology or Qnap (Or even Astor etc) to add to the pool

8 hours ago, brwoodford said:

Would be nice to walk to nearest computer shop, and buy what ever the latest reasonable value Synology or Qnap (Or even Astor etc) to add to the pool

Hi.  This is possible now as the location of the storage and the location of the server process do not have to be on the same machine.

DrBoneSaw
1 hour ago, ebr said:

i.  This is possible now as the location of the storage and the location of the server process do not have to be on the same machine.

Can you elaborate a bit on this? I have Emby and Emby Theater completely setup on my machine and would like to allow my roommate access to it and to be able add his libraries to it so we don't each have to have a separate instance of Emby running. Can I do this? Thanks

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, DrBoneSaw said:

Can I do this?

Nope, but he can network share his storage which you would then add to your instance. 

DrBoneSaw
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

Nope, but he can network share his storage which you would then add to your instance. 

But he still can install Emby and just sign into my server over the lan, right?

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, DrBoneSaw said:

But he still can install Emby and just sign into my server over the lan, right?

Sure, if you give him access. He doesn't have to install anything and use browser access/playback or use Theater if you have Premiere subscription. 

• Like 1

brwoodford
9 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This is possible now as the location of the storage and the location of the server process do not have to be on the same machine.

Thank you for the reply. I will have another test. I did seem to remember this was possible before but was limited to smb and required the share to be fully open without any ability to enter security credentials. Has this change? Or even better has nfs support been added (as this would allow for nfs ip restrictions to be placed)

cheers

• 2 months later...

My case

I have a family server that host a emby

My friends though my invest enter the emby world, host one in his home two

We want to share library

And i bought a organization emby server account that collect some tv shows

I think this is a case that merge emby is best solution

Marijuana
On 10/4/2021 at 10:56 AM, GrimReaper said:

Yes but it lags and throws up too many errors to play message in emby quite often, been there done it.

Marijuana
On 7/5/2021 at 10:28 AM, ebr said:

People running illegal streaming sites do not want to use your emby server, they use free open source more secure options not emby. The PAYING emby customers want this feature whether we pay monthly or pay for the lifetime premium, please stop using excuses to why it takes 5 years to do something. I wasn't going to reply to this but come on dude get real with us. If we pay for emby it is up to you to get things done for us if you don't like a feature just simply say Nope Not Happening!

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Marijuana said:

People running illegal streaming sites do not want to use your emby server, they use free open source more secure options not emby.

r/EmbyShares. So much for not using. 

• Agree 1