Feature: Merge libraries from multiple servers

fiktr

+1

This would be a great feature and one that's holding me up from buying premier.  Once this is done, I will buy / subscribe to Premier in a heartbeat. 

Plex offers it, which I want to get away from because they have gone to shit lately, and I love Emby except this one holdup.  Seeing as this has been out there since 2016, I hope it's almost developed!

MyMediaAtHome

this would be handy but would also be nice to divide the workload

if a certain movie is in use a lot then have the workload spread to other servers automatically

I think you can do that in part manually.

For example if you have 1 huge disk with movies and 3 servers. Link all those servers to that huge movie disk.

If you have 9 guest/user accounts spread them over those 3 servers.

The spreading could be simply 3 accounts on each server. But also based on the server specs and/or the expected activity/bandwidth usage of the account.

Yep, I'm fully aware it's far from perfect, but I think it can help a lot in certain situations.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 5:33 PM, OBXMan said:

Merging Live TV channels from two servers into a single TV guide would be awesome.

What do you mean by this?

I presently merge TV from 4 source into my guide with Emby Live TV. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Would gladly see it. This will also simplify the case, when you have old NAS + NUC. It would be possible to install Emby on both devices, but only index movies on NAS, and NUC Emby will just act as Slave

1 hour ago, barat said:

Would gladly see it. This will also simplify the case, when you have old NAS + NUC. It would be possible to install Emby on both devices, but only index movies on NAS, and NUC Emby will just act as Slave

Hi. If all you need is to merge the file systems, you can have Emby Server on just your NUC and give that machine access to the NAS file system...

20 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi. If all you need is to merge the file systems, you can have Emby Server on just your NUC and give that machine access to the NAS file system...

But then, I'll loose real time monitoring, since SMB/NFS might not support inotify? Am i wrong?

Edited by barat

Think we may be talking apples and oranges.  I have two locations, each has an HDHOMERUN providing live tv.  The HDHOMERUNS want to be on the same LAN as the server so require a local server.  I would like to view them both from EMBY and be able to see the channels from both devices at both locations in the same guide.  Currently I can switch between servers but that is kind of a pain. I figured if I had a server at each location and could "merge" them, that would solve my problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXMan said:

Think we may be talking apples and oranges.  I have two locations, each has an HDHOMERUN providing live tv.  The HDHOMERUNS want to be on the same LAN as the server so require a local server.  I would like to view them both from EMBY and be able to see the channels from both devices at both locations in the same guide.  Currently I can switch between servers but that is kind of a pain. I figured if I had a server at each location and could "merge" them, that would solve my problem. 

This is slightly different and likely doable with only one server.  I've helped a couple of people with this and can do it myself. Open a new thread in the Live TV section https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/97-live-tv/ with a title similar to "Combine tuners from 2 locations into Emby Server" and we can explore different possibilities.

Carlo

• 1 month later...

What about 2 servers within the same home?

I'm thinking about buying a second Synology NAS, would I be able to have folders from both the Synologies in the same library?

The EMBY server app would remain in the same Synology, but adding folders from the 2nd one that is.

PenkethBoy

If you mount the folders from the second nas to the first - then add those to your libraries - you should be fine

• Like 1

rbjtech

Perhaps I'm over simplifying this - but why could you not simply map a remote fileshare onto each others emby instances ?

You use use a number of tools to achieve this - VPN, Remote Fileshare etc - all you need is a UNC path and you can simply add it into your library - where the storage physically is doesn't really matter.

I use multiple 'file servers' now on my current system simply by using <\\server1\filepath> and <\\server2\filepath> in the same library.

So as long as you can get a reliable remote fileshare working - then I see no reason why this would not work ... ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Perhaps I'm over simplifying this - but why could you not simply map a remote fileshare onto each others emby instances ?

You use use a number of tools to achieve this - VPN, Remote Fileshare etc - all you need is a UNC path and you can simply add it into your library - where the storage physically is doesn't really matter.

I use multiple 'file servers' now on my current system simply by using <\\server1\filepath> and <\\server2\filepath> in the same library.

So as long as you can get a reliable remote fileshare working - then I see no reason why this would not work ... ?

I have a setup very similar to what you descript.  Basically, my router connects to the router (via openvpn) at my father-in-law's house to bridge the two LANs.  I have a HDHOMERUN and a pc with an emby server on his network.  While I can add the HDHOMERUN to my server as a video source rather easily...... since the transcoding happens on my emby server, that means it streams, *uncompressed* over the openvpn connection.  That's not ideal, since it makes streaming impossible.  

What would be nice is if the emby server on his end could do the compression/transcoding, and then feed the video to the emby server on my end over the vpn connection.  Then it *should* be watchable.

• Like 1

Hi @Tom83

Another method you could do is setup a DVR at your father-in-law's house.  Using something like NextPVR or ChannelsDVR you could then compress the streams before being sent through the VPN connection.  Both of those programs can export an M3U file that you feed into Emby.  They could also server up TV via M3U to your father-in-law's house as well.  

• 2 weeks later...
canada99

You can build your own m3u VOD playlist from different emby server movie links but is very time consuming. I did this in the past adding each movie manually with IMDB covers from links etc but it took forever. Some iptv sellers do it that way if there not pulling from seedboxes just build your own file to host and connect to it from kodi or even put it in the iptv part of emby should work.

example:

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:-1, MovieName, tvg-logo="imdb movie cover link here",

http://123.123.12.12:8096/web/index.html#!/item?id=55756586

If your adding tv series it will take forever and also add your login info like so http://username:password@123.123.12.12 

Vlc media player works great for testing things like this once you make a small list to try out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
GhostDemon616

Would like to see the 2 servers I’m in on the same screen. Kids don’t really know how to change server, would be better if I could see all the content from both servers