Feature: Merge libraries from multiple servers

fiktr

BlazedMonkey
26 minutes ago, Marijuana said:

People running illegal streaming sites do not want to use your emby server, they use free open source more secure options not emby. The PAYING emby customers want this feature whether we pay monthly or pay for the lifetime premium, please stop using excuses to why it takes 5 years to do something. I wasn't going to reply to this but come on dude get real with us. If we pay for emby it is up to you to get things done for us if you don't like a feature just simply say Nope Not Happening!

Thats not really their style: 

Marijuana
54 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

r/EmbyShares. So much for not using. 

What the 😬 just looked , why would people use a 25 limit server for pirating looks like I was wrong.

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, Marijuana said:

why would people use a 25 limit server

They likely go for higher tiers, not the base 25-devices-limit ones. As they can also run multiple servers pointing to the same libraries.

Marijuana

Bottom line is you can't let what others do stop you from building an amazing platform in this world there's always thieves and crooks online fraud whatever the case may be. Don't let crooks deter from making great features like this one. It is frustrating wanting something that never happens 😔

• Agree 1

Marijuana
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

They likely go for higher tiers, not the base 25-devices-limit ones. As they can also run multiple servers pointing to the same libraries.

I didn't know that, from googling it looks like a big thing to 😐 People who exploit what others spend so much time perfecting they just ruin it for everyone.

• Agree 1

Again, what features we work on has everything to do with cost benefit and this particular feature - while still very intriguing - has an extremely high cost with a benefit to an extremely small audience of our users.  That is the real issue with any feature request.  How long a request has been out here really isn't an indicator for this cost/benefit analysis.

Marijuana
13 hours ago, ebr said:

Again, what features we work on has everything to do with cost benefit and this particular feature - while still very intriguing - has an extremely high cost with a benefit to an extremely small audience of our users.  That is the real issue with any feature request.  How long a request has been out here really isn't an indicator for this cost/benefit analysis.

Thank you for the explanation and sorry if I was a little snappy before, I understand time is money and I would also agree this feature would only be for a smaller group of users who want to share emby with friends family and from what I just learned even pirate. I have an idea it might not be a good one but who knows, maybe you can put a price on what it costs for features and people could donate towards it ? or even make the features work by paid plugin only that way you get your money for the time ? I mean look at all the apps out there with in app purchases.

Edited by Marijuana

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 12/2/2022 at 1:58 AM, kbrawl said:

has this feature been implemented or is it on standby. because i would like to do this

No, it has not been implemented.

I'm not sure what you would gain from this that can't be done now. It wouldn't be exactly the same but 2 servers could map drives to each other so the mapping is the same between them with each server having it's own full copy of the libraries.  You could then manually setup users on one server or the other to distribute the load between them.

TouchASpider
10 hours ago, cayars said:

No, it has not been implemented.

I'm not sure what you would gain from this that can't be done now. It wouldn't be exactly the same but 2 servers could map drives to each other so the mapping is the same between them with each server having it's own full copy of the libraries.  You could then manually setup users on one server or the other to distribute the load between them.

I have 2 servers.  One hosted locally with some content and one hosted remotely sharing a friend's drive+content (server is owned by me).  I would LOVE to merge the libraries.  I don't see how I can do this now.  Switching Emby servers to browse content is a pain for the family.

You can setup a TailScale https://tailscale.com/ VPN that is used strictly by the two machines.

With the VPN in place you can access the files of the other computer  just as if it was a computer on your LAN (just slower). 

You can then map the other machines drives to your local machine and set those up on your main server.  You can do the reverse as well so files could be accessed from either server. You won't technically need two servers running at this point but it never hurts to have a spare up and running.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
gene0915
On 12/4/2022 at 7:51 PM, Carlo said:

You can setup a TailScale https://tailscale.com/ VPN that is used strictly by the two machines.

With the VPN in place you can access the files of the other computer  just as if it was a computer on your LAN (just slower). 

You can then map the other machines drives to your local machine and set those up on your main server.  You can do the reverse as well so files could be accessed from either server. You won't technically need two servers running at this point but it never hurts to have a spare up and running.

Just wanted to revisit this thread and see what's up, thanks for the Tailscale idea!

Some other ideas I was kicking around to address this...... using something like UnionFS, OverlayFS or MergerFS to mount the remote drive. My fear with Tailscale (and other VPN solutions) is the overhead. VPN connections (due to encryption) usually take a speed hit. Will somebody streaming a high bit-rate video over a mapped drive have problems?

I have 1 gig up/down and the person I was going to merge media libraries with also has 1 gig up/down so maybe VPN usage will be fine?

Speaking of merging libraries.... example; I already have /mnt/md0/Movies added. If I use Tailscale and mount his movie folder and bring THAT into Emby (I know we have a lot of movies on both our drives) how does Emby handle that? CAN Emby handle that? (if the same movie is added from 2 different folders/libraries?) Will it present duplicates or just a little symbol in the poster indicating there are two versions?

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few ways to do this, so I would experiment to see what works best performance wise as well as maintenace wise with Emby.

I would check out and learn Rclone as it's quite powerful.

Carlo

• 6 months later...
Museum9929

Just wanted to say my "want this feature as well" Loved it at plex but moved away from them because of recent decisions.

Would just be great to be able to add 2 Servers to your account and you can decide what library's you see on your home screen or not same for continue watching.

Just want everyone to be open minded about this 😀

PuffyToesToo

So basically, this has been my situation and why I wanted to do this. My partner and I have been in a LDR for like, 7 years. I spend a great amount of time at their place and vice versa. We both run our own servers, but because we are in different countries, we wanted to simplify our usage. That is all, nothing more. It doesn't matter anymore as our approval to marry came through at the end of last year and I will be relocating there in April. I just wanted to chime in because there ARE perfectly legitimate reasons to want this, albeit a rather niche one.

• Like 1

MagicDoubleM
On 7/17/2023 at 10:38 PM, gene0915 said:

Just wanted to revisit this thread and see what's up, thanks for the Tailscale idea!

Some other ideas I was kicking around to address this...... using something like UnionFS, OverlayFS or MergerFS to mount the remote drive. My fear with Tailscale (and other VPN solutions) is the overhead. VPN connections (due to encryption) usually take a speed hit. Will somebody streaming a high bit-rate video over a mapped drive have problems?

I have 1 gig up/down and the person I was going to merge media libraries with also has 1 gig up/down so maybe VPN usage will be fine?

Speaking of merging libraries.... example; I already have /mnt/md0/Movies added. If I use Tailscale and mount his movie folder and bring THAT into Emby (I know we have a lot of movies on both our drives) how does Emby handle that? CAN Emby handle that? (if the same movie is added from 2 different folders/libraries?) Will it present duplicates or just a little symbol in the poster indicating there are two versions?

May I ask you how you plan to establish a connection between two computers on the internet? I'd very highly suggest using a VPN as base layer, for privacy and security reasons.

With your kind of line, I'd just give it a shot.

Tailscale is based on Wireguard, which is capable of doing pretty good speeds. In my scenario it wasn't the limiting factor, be it Tailscale for client2client or Wireguard for router2router connections, here it's just the 40mbit/s upstream thats capping me. Depending on your hardware you're probably not going to saturate the full 1gbit/s, but you should have plenty enough headroom for streaming media, including high bitrate 4k-stuff. 

So, mounting a NFS-share to your lib, installing the "auto group versions" plugin should do the trick. Meta-data should be considered carefully, also the process of generating thumbnails is something to keep an eye on. But as I said, with 1gibt/s I'd just start testing.

If you are on windwos, there is also wireguard-nt which pushes the speed a bit further.

18 hours ago, PuffyToesToo said:

So basically, this has been my situation and why I wanted to do this. My partner and I have been in a LDR for like, 7 years. I spend a great amount of time at their place and vice versa. We both run our own servers, but because we are in different countries, we wanted to simplify our usage. That is all, nothing more. It doesn't matter anymore as our approval to marry came through at the end of last year and I will be relocating there in April. I just wanted to chime in because there ARE perfectly legitimate reasons to want this, albeit a rather niche one.

Congratulations!

• Like 1