Intel Quick Sync Causing Emby Not to Play ANY Media on ANY Client. Little help?

Armasword

Armasword

Hi guys, first post here.

I have a new install of Emby on a server using an ASRock N3700-ITX motherboard. The CPU is small, but supports up to 4K hardware accelerated transcoding via Quick Sync. If I set Emby with Quick Sync disabled, I am able to watch on any of my clients, but only up to 480p. If I turn Quick Sync on, I get nothing on any client. The stream opens like normal, but nothing ever shows up. The system does not register any kind of an error, and unless I back out of the stream myself, it will sit indefinitely on a blank screen because the DLNA client is not aware that an error has occurred. If I watch from the Emby UI on a PC web browser, its the same story. Everything is current (Emby version, OMV updates, Debian updates, and BIOS).

I installed Plex and get the exact same result. All clients hang with no stream and no error, so this is probably a compatibility issue more than it is a problem inherent in Emby. Any ideas here, though? I'm sure I'm not the first person to use these intel chips for this purpose. They've been out six months now and everyone online has been raving about them for HTPCs.

Questions:

(1) Even doing transcoding without acceleration, I think I should be able to do one 1080 stream without issue. Why am I locked at 480?

(2) What can I do to troubleshoot Quick Sync under these circumstances?

Armasword

Bump.

EDIT: I found a recent BIOS update! I'll give that a try shortly and see if it remedies the problem.

Edited by Armasword

Armasword

ASRock must have caught this before I did. They released a BIOS update a few days ago that addressed this exact issue.

Everything is now transcoding in 1080p with hardware acceleration. YAY!

I'm so excited to have this up and running. Happy streaming!

ryba1986

ASRock must have caught this before I did. They released a BIOS update a few days ago that addressed this exact issue.

Everything is now transcoding in 1080p with hardware acceleration. YAY!

I'm so excited to have this up and running. Happy streaming!

How exactly the system you have installed?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, was wondering what kind of performance you are getting from the Asrock n3700, trying to decide between that and the Asrock Q1900-ITX but not a lot of information out about the n3700 in terms of cpu usuage during transcoding. Thanks