Make Emby Server start with Windows Server 2012 R2?

hansolo77

hansolo77

So originally, Emby Server was designed to run via a taskbar icon.  This worked before, but I disabled it because I wanted to have it running as a service.  I did that because I wanted the server to be running if the computer reboots, and I hadn't had the chance to log into a desktop to have the taskbar app start up.  This was working great.  Then I started to notice some of the things I have scheduled (like Server Restart) not working, and automatic updates needing to be manually installed after disabling the service.  The restart plugin specifically only works with the taskbar app, and doesn't work when the server is running as a system service.  So I've switched back to using the taskbar icon.  Trouble is, the taskbar app doesn't automatically start with Windows.  I have to manually go into my Start menu and launch it.

The tricky thing here is that this is Windows Server 2012 R2.  I had another program a few months ago that I wanted to have run at login too, but ultimately gave up on it because there was no way to make it work.  There isn't any "Startup" folder like what you would find on earlier versions of Windows.  So there's no way to create a shortcut and place in that folder.  I also tried (with the other program I gave up on) adding registry keys and editing the msconfig.  Speaking of msconfig.. it actually says "Startup items are not enabled on this system" on the Startup tab.  So I'm not sure how to proceed.  I have drivers that load up on startup just fine, as well as my PVR service (NextPVR) but I have no idea how they managed to get configured to run on login.

So I'm looking for advice and instructions on how to make the tray app start on login, rather than rely on the service.  Little help?  Thanks guys!

Koleckai Silvestri

Run Task Scheduler. Create a Task to run Emby Server. Set the trigger to "When Computer Starts".

Happy2Play
hansolo77

I tried running that shell command and it doesn't work. Maybe it's not available in Essentials?

hansolo77

I will try that. I don't think it will work though. It has only 1 shortcut in there (Speedfan) and I think that was the program I was trying to get to work before.

Koleckai Silvestri

I don't know why you don't have access to gpedit.msc. Are you logged in as a server administrator?

Currently, I am using Windows Server Essentials 2016. I am not sure how your server is setup and most home situations don't really need a lot of security. I've been trying to do best practices while learning more about Windows Server. The issue with the startup folder is that you actually have to log in as that user. If you only have one user, then great. However, you still have to log in as them. Using an auto-login reduces security. I am using the server as a Windows Service with its own user and permissions. This keeps it away from other server duties. I have been using this script to update the server on a regular basis:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26607-powershell-script-to-update-server-when-running-as-a-service/

I hope you find a solution that works for you, though.

CqpbmEN.png

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri