Only very few images (covers, persons etc.) are shown in library

flexy123

flexy123

So I installed EMBY on a separate laptop on my 1GB LAN.

I put my UNC paths in there like \\Server\Media\Moviez whereas "Server" is another PC on the network with the Media drives attached.

It scans the files but only a very small portion of images, maybe 1-3 total from hundreds of movies is even displayed. I can exclude mis-identification since I already had Emby running on the Server PC and there more images showed. However, overall it seems that the correct reading of movies/shows etc. and especially displaying images currently is totally broken or happens "randomly".

I also checked network permissions etc. and can't see why it wouldn't display the stuff right.

This happens in Web client but also Emby Theater. For example, right now on my 1st drive is 71 movies and it only shows ONE cover, everything else is blank.

How can I debug this and find what's going on?

Edited by flexy123

flexy123

I uploaded some logs.

To me it seems like an identification issue mainly having to do with TheimgDB, but I cannot see why it can't ID some rather clearly labeled files.

For example, it has difficulties finding the movie "Selena" when the folder (or file) is called "Selena - The movie" etc.. or otherwise gets totally thrown off when the file names are not totally exact.

Say, "Miss Congeniality Deluxe Edition (2000) DVD Rip" etc. I mean isn't it obvious what movie this is etc..?

Please check the logs and let me know, at this point (without major renaming which I want to avoid) Emby is totally unusable to me.

I wouldn't know why I would need to rename files which *should* be obvious? (Even if a filename might have additional information).

Also...for example one movie it simply cannot ID..."The Supper (2014)". See log. There IS only one movie "The Supper" made in 2014. Why can't it id that?

server-63587861076.txt

server-63587865556.txt

server-63587867697.txt

server-63587871237.txt

server-63587876420.txt

Here are a few observations.

It doesn't look like you're adhering to the moving naming convention: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

It also appears that there are xml files which Emby is trying to read as a metadata source which are not formatted properly.

I'm not sure what The Supper (2014) is. I can't find it on TheMovieDB or IMDb

Closest I can find is The Last Supper (2014)

Can you give a concrete example of a failure by providing the exact folder name and file name? thanks.

Say, "Miss Congeniality Deluxe Edition (2000) DVD Rip" etc. I mean isn't it obvious what movie this is etc..?

Obvious to a Human, yes but not to a computer.  Your brain immediately knows to ignore the words "Deluxe Edition" and "DVD Rip" but there is no way for the computer to know that, in that context, those words should be ignored (all of them could appear in a legitimate movie title).

Tharnax

Obvious to a Human, yes but not to a computer.  Your brain immediately knows to ignore the words "Deluxe Edition" and "DVD Rip" but there is no way for the computer to know that, in that context, those words should be ignored (all of them could appear in a legitimate movie title).

Yes, as ebr points out it "appears" like the movie name is obvious.  For a number of years I put [bluRay] at the end of all my titles that I had ripped from a Blu-Ray disk so I could easily identify by folder what the source type was for the movie/TV series.  I would manually identify in EMBY server each of those Blu-ray movies, since EMBY couldn't identify them exactly as you described.  The problem was earlier on prior to EMBY being called EMBY when the server required a reinstall I'd have to go back an manually identify the movies again.  I finally decided one day to update the folder/file names and EMBY has worked great since and now identifies 95%+ of new Movies/TV series correctly.  Not ideal as it does take time, but it is a one time fix and if you install the CoverArt plug in, it can identify DVD vs. Blu-ray in EMBY for you if you want.

flexy123

Sorry, meant "The Last Supper (2014)" of course. I will do a wipe and rebuild/rescan of the DB and will list some examples where it didn't read information.

flexy123

Check the log and in particular the file names, folders...

I can give you just ONE example...

/Amadeus (1984)/Amadeus (1984).mkv

CANNOT be read. There is not even any confusing info in the folder/file name. Same for many other movies. (See attached images)

It also says "error parsing XML file" throughout the logs, but I don't have/use any XML files in my folders. It shouldn't even parse them? So of course there are errors since I don't have them.

Edit: Attached CORRECT log this time

Edit2: According to log, TheMovieDB only throws errors with three movies, but a lot more than that don't show images.

Example: "Meet the Fockers"

There are not many movies called "Meet the Fockers" you will hopefully agree? :)

post-11690-0-38904500-1452361478_thumb.jpg

post-11690-0-68120000-1452361478_thumb.jpg

server-63587960847.txt

Edited by flexy123

flexy123

that log makes no mention of amadeus, fockers, and has no xml parsing errors.

It has 4 XML parsing errors in it, note I updated the log shortly after I initially posted this. But this is the point, according to the log, TheMovieDB only has 4 or so problems, Stepmom, The Arrival, Selena - The Movie plus one more, but MANY MORE movies don't show images, not just those four. Yes, no mentioning of Meet The Fockers etc., and this also shows empty thumbs of course.

Means it's not even parsing them then? I mean check my screenshot, most are empty thumbnails.

Edit2: What I did 10 mins ago, removed folder in Emby, restarted server, added Movie folder. Let it scan. (Scan went astonishly quick, I'd say too fast...maybe that's a first indication what's wrong?) Folder "Moviez" has 75 or so movies in it, but only 23 thumbs show.

Edited by flexy123

I do see the xml parsing errors but there's no mention of one in the Amadeus folder. I guess we need to circle back to posts #2 and #5 and zero in on a single concrete example with all information related to that one single example

Deathsquirrel

Looking at the logs, if you organize and name your files according to Emby's naming conventions and clear out existing xml\metadata before scanning it will work.

lulzyatlas

This thread lol.

Make sure your folder and file names are as simple as Name and Release Year if possible. Emby takes every word in the path seriously. There are media renamers to do this for you.

If you're familiar with win prompts or shell or whatever CLI for your platform, run a command over the video directories deleting all .xmls .nfos .jpgs pngs gifs etc etc, this should throw out any old metadata.

After, if refreshing in Emby with proper names and clean folders doesn't do it, try removing the path from the library and re-adding to rescan into the DB.

If it still doesn't get em, something could be wonked between the meta grabber and the dB. At this point I'd try a database reset or clean reinstall. I've only had the DB break on me once, for reasons I still don't know, but if all else fails.

For metadata that's properly detected and shows in the metadata manager but not usual browsing, sometimes intermittently, restarting some clients would fix (ET stale cache? Doesn't matter), sometimes a server restart would. (+1 for scheduled restarts, constant uptimes have no real benefit lol).

As always the usual things apply, chkdsk, and network efficiency etc etc, pic meta data can get lost in a corrupted file segment or delayed/lost packet just as easy.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Edited by lulzyatlas

flexy123

Guys, we're running in circles.

As I showed earlier...how more accurate than

"\Amadeus (1984)\Amadeus (1984).mkv" can it get?

The folder (as do others) has the exact, correct naming and so does the actual file. (I think I had filebot running over there already in an attempt to clean out and clarify stuff). I am also not having any .XML files in my media folders whatsoever

Yes I am aware of those tools like filebot, TheRenamer etc. and I use/used them.

Network efficiency...there might be something to it. Before I had EMBY on the actual server with the attached drives. I don't remember but didn't have those problems whatsoever.

I moved and reinstalled EMBY on a laptop now on the network, UNC shares over the (wired) 1GB LAN. Now I see those missing thumbnails.

Could you let me know how to do a complete DB reset? AFAIK I didn't see any such option.

Edited by flexy123

Happy2Play

Could you let me know how to do a complete DB reset? AFAIK I didn't see any such option.

You could remove the libraries and perform a library scan, database clean, then re-add them.

flexy123

I installed Win10 on the laptop/server now (updated from Win8.1), wiped settings/db, re-installed BETA.

So far, all movie covers/images are showing but now having the issue with the of actor images like the guy in the other thread. For me, this is minor, at least the movies are showing. I am sure it'll be solved in one of the next updates.