Further Master Lock Findings

tired dad

tired dad

My saga with the master lock and disappearing movies in Emby continues, and I've found some items of note that others may have run into,  so here you go.  The findings are based on my system, your mileage may vary.  They are presented for Kodi 15.2 and Emby 1.1.62, so take that into consideration.

If you're interested in this thread on my initial battle with the master lock, read here:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23065-how-i-solved-the-emby-and-kodi-master-lock-issue/

The rationale for multiple profiles with locks for some of them is simple: I'm not a single guy in my twenties running Kodi/Emby on one machine.  I'm a dad with a teen and preteen who each have their own collection of movies and we, the parents, have some movies that are not appropriate for their age group.  Not "adult" movies, just movies they don't need to see.  I have movies on two servers, and several clients (PC, Apple, and Surfaces), so it's a bit of a complex ecosystem.  Having the lock on Emby sources only won't work as they'd still be able to see the other movies (via the posters) they don't have access to, even if they cannot play them.

OK, onward.

My initial thread indicated that the one infallible fact was that Kodi needed a source file that pointed to a dummy source, otherwise enabling the master lock just didn't work.  The other finding I had was that you had to set up your profiles first, and then allow Emby to do a full scan for each user, and then enable the master lock.  Well, that was then, this is now... since then Emby and Kodi have both upgraded their software and so I gave it another shot.

Things I have found out:

• You can indeed create profiles, then the master lock, and then additional profiles later, and still have everything work
    • Previously creating any new profile after the "dummy" source file was created kiboshed my whole system
  • It does not matter if, when creating new profiles, you choose to copy the default skin settings or not
  • Sharing the same source does not seem to matter anymore, unlike the first try I had at doing this; this may be because the later Emby builds now add the dummy source files once a scan is complete
  • No matter what I do, if I choose "local paths" as a playback option in Emby, and enable the master lock, I see no movies.  Don't ask me why.
  • Copying the thumbnail folder from the master profile and dropping it as a junction to the other profiles in Windows saves disk space
  • Once the master lock is enabled, it doesn't matter if you create new profiles and exit the system, or load them right away (unlike my previous experience)
  • I found that the default in Emby's settings to enable the Cinema mode to be problematic, sometimes resulting streams that will not play... turn it off and the system is just fine.
  • Other profiles can have their own lock codes
  • I've tried this on three skins: Confluence, Arctic Zephyr and Titan, and all have minor issues, but work well for the most part.
  • Once you create a profile and use local paths in Emby, you are hooped for that profile.  I tried turning them off and resetting the local Kodi database via the Emby settings, and it had no effect for me.
  • Finally... if you don't see any movies in the profile, go to the power menu (at least in the confluence skin) and enable the master lock and your movies will reappear right away.  Very odd.  You will have to do this each time you load that profile though.

The key to everything so far for me is to leave local paths off when creating new profiles.  It seems that Emby and the master lock do not get along well, and changing this one setting has solved my problems.  So far.

If anyone has been able to get local paths to work with multiple profiles and the master lock, I'd be interested in hearing how you did it.  I suppose the other question is ... does the local path playback really matter?

• Like 2

haroldmchugh

It sounds like you have been driving yourself crazy just as I have been doing for months.  I feel your pain, literally.  It seems that enabling master mode is the only way to allow the non master profile to access the emby content.  This will unlock the settings, which allows settings to add the exact content we need another profile to block.  It's mind numbing.  I wish that I had the experience to dig into the code to fix this insane but yet simplistic feature.  Kodi is designed specifically to use profiles to block content.  The emby addon is written to allow only one master user access to content if the kodi password feature is enabled.  I have four Pi's and a windows HTPC almost constantly running and native paths is a must for me.  I hope your work arounds work for you for now.  For now, I will continue to scream in frustration.

• Like 1

tired dad

It sounds like you have been driving yourself crazy just as I have been doing for months.  I feel your pain, literally.  It seems that enabling master mode is the only way to allow the non master profile to access the emby content.  This will unlock the settings, which allows settings to add the exact content we need another profile to block.  It's mind numbing.  I wish that I had the experience to dig into the code to fix this insane but yet simplistic feature.  Kodi is designed specifically to use profiles to block content.  The emby addon is written to allow only one master user access to content if the kodi password feature is enabled.  I have four Pi's and a windows HTPC almost constantly running and native paths is a must for me.  I hope your work arounds work for you for now.  For now, I will continue to scream in frustration.

I just tested it with a live system... four users and a full library scan, and NOT using local paths.  All is working well (so far) with the master lock on the master user and the parent account with a lock as well.  If you don't mind me asking, why are local (or native?) paths a must?

Edited by tired dad

imadunatic

Is it the master lock that really throws the monkey wrench in the mix?

Also, any reason you don't use separate media info and sources for each profile? http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25195-multiple-kodi-profiles-media-info-and-media-sources/?p=245282 Does changing info and sources to separate for any and all users have any effect on your setup? 

I'm currently running a very similar setup (5 users/profiles all with separate sources and info, but no master lock on anything) and its working great so I'm assuming the master lock is what breaks it? 

tired dad

Is it the master lock that really throws the monkey wrench in the mix?

Also, any reason you don't use separate media info and sources for each profile? http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25195-multiple-kodi-profiles-media-info-and-media-sources/?p=245282 Does changing info and sources to separate for any and all users have any effect on your setup? 

I'm currently running a very similar setup (5 users/profiles all with separate sources and info, but no master lock on anything) and its working great so I'm assuming the master lock is what breaks it? 

Yup, it's the master lock that breaks it; as soon as it's entered as a PIN everything works fine, but only if you DO NOT use local paths (I think that's where Kodi plays it directly... when I've tried local paths, I see the full path name on the info screen;  without them, I see a random string of digits and numbers).

I am currently using separate sources and info, but previously used "share same source" with no issue.  I see in your thread that you had issues with it, but I never did (at least that I am aware of)

imadunatic

Thanks for the info @@tired dad, we currently have the honor system with 2 teens and a pre-teen, but I'm sure I'll be enabling pin locks in the future.

I don't use local paths, so I assume this should work as expected (if I'm reading your posts correctly)?

• Like 1

tired dad

Thanks for the info @@tired dad, we currently have the honor system with 2 teens and a pre-teen, but I'm sure I'll be enabling pin locks in the future.

I don't use local paths, so I assume this should work as expected (if I'm reading your posts correctly)?

Yes, I have disabled local paths and it works great.  I am now testing on another machine to make sure the configurations are working properly.

tired dad

@@imadunatic and @@Angelblue05

I solved it! I solved it!  Master lock, with multiple profiles and pins, and direct play via local paths!

Well, it's working so far...

The answer was here in this post, but I didn't clue in:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23065-how-i-solved-the-emby-and-kodi-master-lock-issue/?p=225752

The source file for Kodi currently has this setting:

<source>
      <name>Emby</name>
      <path pathversion="1">smb://embydummy/dummypath1/</path>
      <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
    </source>

But as you can see in the post from @@Angelblue05, in my other thread, local paths worked with just 

<source>
      <name>Emby</name>
      <path pathversion="1">smb://</path>
      <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
    </source>

And there you have it!  DO NOT USE  smb://embydummy/dummypath1/, just use smb://  (and repeat that code set twice)

This works for both local paths and having Emby stream for you, and in many combinations.  The caveat is that if you use local paths, you must turn off Cinema mode in Kodi the Emby plugin.  I have tried it with:

1. Emby account with password and no PIN on Kodi, no local paths -- Success!
  2. Emby account with password and PIN on Kodi, no local paths -- Success!
  3. Emby account with no password and no PIN on Kodi, no local paths -- Success!
  4. Emby account with no password and PIN on Kodi, no local paths -- Success!
  5. Emby account with password and no PIN on Kodi, local paths -- Success!
  6. Emby account with password and PIN on Kodi, local paths -- Success!
  7. Emby account with no password and no PIN on Kodi, local paths -- Success!
  8. Emby account with no password and PIN on Kodi, local paths -- Success!

This was on a small library set, as I didn't want to reset my larger database but everything is coming up roses so far.  I am now going to redo my HTPC with the real library to use Emby passwords, Kodi PINS, and local paths.  I'll let everyone know how it goes.  It it works, then @@Angelblue05 I suggest we change the dummy source file to the second code set above.

Edited by tired dad
  • Like 2

tired dad

Ok, I will adjust accordingly. :)

What do you mean by turning off Cinema mode in Kodi?

Trello card: https://trello.com/c/aZURAnWg/195-convert-masterlock-paths

Thanks for looking into it.  It's still working as of today.

Sorry, Cinema mode in Emby, not Kodi.  It's on by default in the Emby add-on settings ("Disable Cinema mode" flag is off), and for whatever reason, it makes the streaming of my media not work at all (when local paths are disabled).  As soon as it's off, everything is fine.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I will have to test the cinema mode then. It has nothing to do with this, it's only adding the trailers to the playing playlist in Kodi. 

tired dad

I will have to test the cinema mode then. It has nothing to do with this, it's only adding the trailers to the playing playlist in Kodi. 

And... that's why I find it so odd.  If I am not using local paths, and ask Emby to use the cinema mode, I just get the busy spinner for a long time with the message "opening stream", which eventually times out.  Remove that, and BOOM!  It loads within seconds.

tired dad

Where are you started playback from? Library? Widget? Let me know, so I can try to replicate. Thanks.

From the library, in any view, in any skin.

tired dad

Where are you started playback from? Library? Widget? Let me know, so I can try to replicate. Thanks.

My apologies... it's been a long week.  When local paths are enabled, the state of cinema mode in Emby is irrelevant, the files work.  When the local paths are OFF, and Cinema mode is ON, I get a "playback failed" error and a message to check the logs.

Angelblue05

Heh, ok that makes more sense. Do you have actual trailers set up in the emby cinema mode? I've tested quickly without an issue. Trailers play as intended, then the main item.

Please post your Kodi log (no Kodi debug, just the add-on log level set to Info), thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Angelblue05

The change to smb:// is in github. To get it added, a manual sync can be run. It won't delete previously added dummy paths entries, so you can delete them manually via Kodi's interface.

• Like 1