Replace existing low quality metadata images with new high quality images

af22

I spent a few hours manually going to the metadata manager and downloading new higher quality versions of my movie posters after noticing they looked blurry due to them being around 500 pixels wide.

It would be nice if the metadata downloader can handle this for me.  My movie collection is many years old, it has retained a lot of old low quality images.

I would like it to have rules:

- must be xxx resolution

- must be xxx aspect ratio

- download the one with the best rating

- download the one with the most votes

• Like 2

politby

Hope a semi hijack is okay :)

I would love to be able to have a way to tell MB what kind of poster image to download. I prefer to use actual posters rather than disc covers. But in most cases the first image the scraper finds is a disc cover so invariably I have to go and change the primary image manually.

This of course would require the sites, e.g. themoviedb.com, have the images tagged in some way. Maybe they don't.

WWWestern

This of course would require the sites, e.g. themoviedb.com, have the images tagged in some way. Maybe they don't.

There you just have to vote for the poster (by stars) that you like. Of course, now you still have to manually download liked poster, but maybe you do good deed for others.

Hope a semi hijack is okay :)

I would love to be able to have a way to tell MB what kind of poster image to download. I prefer to use actual posters rather than disc covers. But in most cases the first image the scraper finds is a disc cover so invariably I have to go and change the primary image manually.

I don't believe there is any type of tagging done to figure this out. It is all just upload and then you can vote for covers.

Back to the idea itself. It is a good idea. Though I wouldn't have it do it automatically. More along the lines of a filter of some sort. Let the web client tell you that the images are low resolution and then you could manually fix it. Would be less dangerous then an automated method.

• Like 1

Back to the idea itself. It is a good idea. Though I wouldn't have it do it automatically. More along the lines of a filter of some sort. Let the web client tell you that the images are low resolution and then you could manually fix it. Would be less dangerous then an automated method.

This would be great. I have a lot of posters that are a little blurry on the movie info pages of MBT.

So just a dumb question.  If i delete all the images in my media directory.  Theoretically MB3 would slowly repopulate them back from the web right, hopefully with higher quality images?

over time, yes, but it will not do that immediately in response to the deletion. You would need to use the refresh button on the edit pages. Unfortunately we don't have bulk editing capabilities today but it's planned.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Ghostm

I was having the same concerns as the op, to be honest, I prefer the op suggestions more so with the ability to have it pick the highest rated artwork automatically, make it an option and if people want to manually make changes they dont have to enable it. I myself prefer automation and the less you would have to fiddle with your artwork for some people like me, the better. I prefer to watch the media and let mb3 handle the rest of my scrapping automatically instead of combing through it myself. I have always chosen the highest rated artwork and made it primary, i just corrected a few oddities where mb3 made posters default that were lower rated artwork and were different dimensions then the rest of my posters (one was back to the future).

This would have not happened if a set highest rated artwork option to primary was present and thats all I selected. I have not came across the highest rated poster I did not like. Imo anyway I only use the webbrowser editor as a last resort if i absolutely have to change artwork manually that mb3 downloaded. Occasionally maybe you will come across a movie with no rating for posters or artwork, but that rarely happens and at that point i accept I will have to make manual selection if i want. Mb3 scrapes my artwork 90% perfectly, adding some of those options to automatically download based on certain criteria preferred by the user would help me anyway make it even more efficient and more accurate.

Xbmc addon scrapper also has an option to exclude fanart with text, mb3 is scrapping some fanart i dont like with a ton of text and writing on it, does not look very good. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind is the latest victim. 

That addon also has the ability to overwrite and redownload all existing artwork which I also wouldnt mind seeing as per the op's issue. 

Edited by Ghostm

An automatic option in my opinion is not going to work as everyone has different tastes and will rate and vote on those images based on those tastes.

What if there is 3-4 posters with the same rating, which one does it decide what to choose.

You say MB3 is scraping fanart with a lot of text on it,which does not look very good,but that again is down to personal taste. (I hate it as well)

I am sure having the highest quality images is high on quite a few peoples lists (including mine) but for a lot of people they just do not care what images come through as long as there is an image there.

An automatic option in my opinion is not going to work as everyone has different tastes and will rate and vote on those images based on those tastes.

What if there is 3-4 posters with the same rating, which one does it decide what to choose.

You say MB3 is scraping fanart with a lot of text on it,which does not look very good,but that again is down to personal taste. (I hate it as well)

I am sure having the highest quality images is high on quite a few peoples lists (including mine) but for a lot of people they just do not care what images come through as long as there is an image there.

Like i mentioned this is not a fail safe way, but it would improve it downloading low rated artwork which is often rated poorly because of low resolution or other issues.

And as mentioned if you would not want it to do this, dont turn it on (disable it by default), it would be an option. For me im happy with every highest rated artwork so far, some of the art it currently grabs for posters is weird dimensions the back to the future poster for instance was less height wise then every other poster and was rated low. Like you mentioned I am  one of those users who dont really care what artwork it grabs, but i do want it to be the same height and not low quality compared to the rest of the artwork. Right now it seems its just guessing i dont know how thats any better, and most people i think would side with the highest rated artwork if they had a choice and an option to enable it over mb3 just guessing. If their are two or three highest rated, it would pick whichever, its not a big deal.

Im just trying to find a better way to get rid of it downloading some of the low quality odd dimension posters thats rated poorly that mb3 seems to grab occasionally. And for people who have different tastes your doing it manually anyway, and selecting it manually on your tastes....simply  do not enable the option.

And the artwork with text is another option, not something users would have no control over, in  xbmc with the artwork downloader program you can enable or disable it. Im not proposing any of this not be something users cannot enable or disable.

And its just a suggestion, implementing it might be incredibly hard, were just discussing it in theory..... but i dont see how having an option to grab highest rated artwork is going to be worse then what its currently guessing right now.

Edited by Ghostm

Aussiedroid

I am in the same scenario and dredding thought of manually finding and updating. Newer media has HD artwork but many older ones don't. I could always force update using metabrowser across everything but would like some level of control to identify (and then do manually) or filter. I have hand picked much of the artwork and don't want to loose all that effort with a blanket force update on everything. Hard scenario though.

just do it a little at a time. with the web interface you can do it for ten minutes a day while your'e at work :)

Aussiedroid

@@Luke yeah started on some .. bit here and there just takes a lot of time  ;) Easy to loose track too. I've accepted though that MC stuff is constantly evolving and this sorta thing is needed now and then. All part of the fun! lol

I havent tried web interface remotely (I should) but I do work at home most days so when time permits I do a bit here and there. 

Still a filter or flag or wash would be super handy. In another 5yrs maybe I could see this process having to be potentially done again when we all have 4k resolutions and artwork needs higher resolution to look fresh again on better displays. Well ... maybe  :D

• 1 year later...
badaas

really need this, minimum width for posters, especially now with 4k +50" screens. Majority of posters emby has scraped are 350px wide :/

• 6 years later...
52 minutes ago, DarKni8 said:

Hi , is there any workaround for this. Episode images look like they are highly compressed.

Hi, workaround for what exactly?

DarKni8

EPisode thumbnails looks highly compressed, same goes for some posters

Edited by DarKni8

On 5/30/2022 at 12:37 PM, DarKni8 said:

EPisode thumbnails looks highly compressed, same goes for some posters

HI, please go over an example. Thanks.