LiveTV subtitles and multiple audio tracks

fc7
Go to solution Solved by fc7,

I'm new to Emby Live TV feature and loving it so far. :)

Sorry if this was asked before but after a search nothing came up.

I'm in Spain using a HDHR tuner (HDHR4-2DT) connected to the antenna to tune free to air channels in the DVB-T system.

With digital TV we now have the option to choose different audio tracks (ie: spanish, english) and also subtitles (I think is similar to close caption in the US but not exactly the same).

Question is: does Emby support to select different audio tracks from a live tv stream (I couldn't see any option) and also to enable subtitles? If yes, does Emby need to have guide data available to support it or it should work without it?

Thanks

• Like 1

mellomade

EmbyTV just dumps the native stream from your HDHR-4 to .ts.  So any audio/subtitle tracks in the original stream will be in the recorded file.

Playback of those alternate streams will depend on your device - but most Emby apps you can generally select between multiple audio tracks and turn on/off subtitles - yes.

EmbyTV just dumps the native stream from your HDHR-4 to .ts.  So any audio/subtitle tracks in the original stream will be in the recorded file.

Playback of those alternate streams will depend on your device - but most Emby apps you can generally select between multiple audio tracks and turn on/off subtitles - yes.

I just made a test and it's not working for me.

In my TV for the same channel I can choose between two audio tracks (spanish and english) plus I can enable subtitles/close caption.

On the other hand, I tried Emby using the iOS app and in this app I can't choose any options regarding audio or subs. There is only one option for audio and no option to enable subs at all.

I need to mention that right now I don't have any guide data (different issue that I'm working on with schedules direct).

Is it possible that since I have no guide data Emby doesn't now about the available subs and audio tracks?

I will try to test using the webclient to see if it behaves differently than the iOS app.

I test also from a Surface RT device running Windows 8.1 app. Same thing. No options to choose the alternative audio track or to enable subs. :(

And same behavior with the webclient and Safari. :(

Maybe is a limitation of the tuner?

Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by fc7

I would like to get this working too as my wife is deaf and needs subs to work. At the moment we have to use NextPVR to watch live and recorded TV.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At least I'm not alone. So maybe it's not a problem but just the lack of a feature.

@Luke: can you clarify if the feature it's not there or we are having some problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fc7

What live to backend are you using because this is already supported in dvblink and tvheadend

EmbyTV. The one included with Emby.

Edited by fc7

And I'm using NPVR Plugin. DVB-subtitles are supported in NPVR, but not in Emby. I can click them in the viewing windows, but they won't appear onscreen.

Edited by Damstas

DVB-Subtitles will play fine with VLC, but not with Emby  :(

They should also be configurable to be always on, rather than to each time enable them.

Edited by Damstas

Spaceboy

And I'm using NPVR Plugin. DVB-subtitles are supported in NPVR, but not in Emby. I can click them in the viewing windows, but they won't appear onscreen.

Sounds like you need the dev of the nextpvr plugin to implement the stream probe, we had this done recently on dvblink and although it's not quite there I now get multiple audio tracks and subs

Sounds like you need the dev of the nextpvr plugin to implement the stream probe, we had this done recently on dvblink and although it's not quite there I now get multiple audio tracks and subs

Is this feature planned for EmbyTV too or should I start thinking about adding dvblink to the Emby mix?

I would love to keep it simple and just use EmbyTV if possible tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spaceboy

No idea. My personal preference was and still is to keep them separate as for now I'm using the dev server builds because I need some of the latest functionality but I need 100% reliability from TVs server for WAF. But I think it will be a long time before emby add support for external tuner cards and cams anyway

No idea. My personal preference was and still is to keep them separate as for now I'm using the dev server builds because I need some of the latest functionality but I need 100% reliability from TVs server for WAF. But I think it will be a long time before emby add support for external tuner cards and cams anyway

Thanks for the feedback. I may try tvheadend (since is open source) and the Emby plugin. If it doesn't work either I may give dvblink a shot.

Still I would really appreciate to know if the audio multi track support and subtitles support are in EmbyTV roadmap. Maybe @@Luke or the lead developer of EmbyTV (not sure if it's Luke himself or someone else) can answer that.

Edited by fc7

DVB-Subtitles will play fine with VLC, but not with Emby  :(

They should also be configurable to be always on, rather than to each time enable them.

I can confirm that I can play DVB subs with VLC and also multiple audio tracks streaming directly from the HDHR.

pünktchen

What live to backend are you using because this is already supported in dvblink and tvheadend

@@Spaceboy

to have an option to choose subtitle tracks is the one thing, but do they really show up in the webinterface player or any other Emby app?!

@@Spaceboy

to have an option to choose subtitle tracks is the one thing, but do they really show up in the webinterface player or any other Emby app?!

Last night I setup tvheadend and the Emby plugin with the hope of getting subs and alternative audio tracks.

As with streaming directly from HDHR if I stream directly from tvheadend with VLC or with a tvheadend client then I get all the options. But then doing it from any Emby app I tried (iOS, webclient, Windows) the options are not available. In both cases tvheadend is using the pass profile but it seems that subs and multiple audiotracks features are not implemented in Emby for LiveTV yet.

As a side note a positive thing is that using tvheadend as the backend I now have EPG data (ota epg) which is cool.

Hopefully the missing features in the livetv player will come sooner or later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by fc7

pünktchen

Last night I setup tvheadend and the Emby plugin with the hope of getting subs and alternative audio tracks.

As with streaming directly from HDHR if I stream directly from tvheadend with VLC or with a tvheadend client then I get all the options. But then doing it from any Emby app I tried (iOS, webclient, Windows) the options are not available. In both cases tvheadend is using the pass profile but it seems that subs and multiple audiotracks features are not implemented in Emby for LiveTV yet.

As a side note a positive thing is that using tvheadend as the backend I now have EPG data (ota epg) which is cool.

Hopefully the missing features in the livetv player will come sooner or later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The option to choose different audio or subtitle tracks is already there in Emby if the live tv plugin provides these informations. For audio it's working without any problem for me. It's the Teletext and DVB subtitle that neither Emby server nor Emby clients cannot handle for me. That's why my question @@Spaceboy
  • Like 1