Podcasts - Podcast Management

gebhard

gebhard

Hi,

I'd like to propose the below detailed feature request.

I know that there is a podcast plugin, but this prodivdes only channel functionality w/o download and storage options (AFAIK).

Basic version:

• configuration options:
    • list of podcast URLs
    • interval to connect to configured podcast URLs and download new episode
    • path where to store the downloaded episodes
  • functionality:
    • in configured intervals sequentially connect to configured podcast URLs
      • download all new episodes and store them in the configured path (PATH/<podcast name>/<some episode name>)
      • store information about downloaded episodes in DB
      • next configured podcast
    • perform maintenance task (whatever is needed)

Possible future enhancements:

• configure podcast name and path on a per-podcast basis
  • individual download schedule per podcast
  • blacklist (reg exp) for not to download episodes
  • purge job (based on episode download date)
  • download and apply meta data
  • export / import podcast lists

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Gebhard

• Like 1

Sorry, I forgot to mention in the other thread, the channel content downloading feature was moved to a plugin, since the feature is only used by a small number of users. Install the Channel Downloader plugin. It does not have the kind of feature set you're looking for above, but it does have basic downloading.

gebhard

Thanks for the reply, I'll try that (when the access error reported in the other thread is solved).

I really appreciate the responsiveness in this forum :)

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

after testing the podcast and channel plugin I've come to the conclusion that this is not the podcast management I'd like it to be. It's missing essential features for me.

Please be aware of the situation (only personal impression based on quick tests):

• Plex doesn't have podcast support AFAIK (but has been asked for several times)
  • Subsonic has basic podcast support but some limitations

Implementation of thorough podcast support would be an outstanding feature of Emby.

So my whish list for Emby would be:

• every podcast is a channel, either video or audio
  • configuration options:
    • main podcast directory
    • per podcast:
      • podcast URL
      • video or audio
      • interval to fetch new episodes
      • how much new episodes should be downloaded at max
      • path where to store the downloaded episodes (default: <main podcast dir>/<podcast name>)
      • purge interval: never / based on max date / based on max count
      • sort order in channel (default: newest episode on top)
  • functionality:
    • in configured intervals sequentially connect to configured podcast URLs
      • download all new episodes and store them in the configured path
      • store information about downloaded episodes in DB
      • next configured podcast
    • perform maintenance task (whatever is needed)
    • list all episodes in channel
    • mark / highlight downloaded episodes (downloaded episodes should be distinguishable from non-downloaded ones)
    • allow episode management (per episode / per marked episodes):
      • delete (marked) episode(s)
      • download (marked) episode(s)
      • add to playlist

Possible future enhancements:

• blacklist (reg exp) for not to download episodes
  • download and apply meta data
  • export / import podcast lists

Cheers,

Gebhard

right, podcast management has never really been the goal. it's more about just plugging in a podcast url, then click and play as that's what most people want. the above are all good ideas, i'm not sure what the audience would be for it though.

• 3 weeks later...
thefirstofthe300

I actually believe that Emby could be a kickass podcast management solution for the simple reason that it has the potential to sync play states across devices. I have looked and no solutions offer this functionality.

To add to this wish list, syncing to mobile devices.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
liberdiko

Those features would be a killer! I hope someone would code this. I have looked for some time on a way to manage podcast across devices and doing it via Emby seems the better way so far.

bfir3

I know in older server versions, the server wouldn't remember the resume position for audio tracks (regardless of the length of the track), but this functionality alone would go a huge way to improve the experience on Emby for listening to podcasts. Has it been changed in newer versions? Just need to save the ResumePositionTicks or whatever it is when playing a user is playing audio tracks as well. At least then we could manage the podcast metadata manually and still use Emby to play the episodes. Without remembering the resume position it's not really practical to use Emby to listen to podcasts.

Edited by bfir3

• 2 weeks later...
cuddlepuncher

So I also would like to voice my support for improved podcast features.  It's something I use a lot and would love to be able to uninstall my podcast app and use Emby even more.

It's a little frustrating even because it seems like Emby already has all the functionality that would make a decent podcast app, it just needs to be combined.  The current podcast plugin subscribes to feeds and works well.  It checks for and displays new episodes.  Emby can also sync playlists for offline listening and sync new items added to those playlists.  All the essential features are there they just aren't put together in one podcast section.  The only new feature that would need to be created is the ability to auto delete old and or listened to episodes.  The rest of the features that are needed already exist in some form in other parts of emby.

Honestly, Emby already works well enough to at least display all of my podcasts and it looks great.

l6fZV3l.png

XT8NvgT.png

The only thing it lacks is remembering the resume position when stopping an episode. I will probably mod it in for my server in a really crude way, but until then I can't really listen to my podcasts with Emby when I have other players that remember the resume position already.

Edited by bfir3

The Podcasts plugin has been updated with a new configuration screen to match the look and feel of the rest of Emby Server. I think you'll find it much more enjoyable to use and configure now. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the notice. I'll have a look and provide feedback when the server and plugins are on the latest release in freenas.

Cheers,

Gebhard

• 5 months later...
allen.odden

Does anyone know what happened to the "Channel Downloader" plugin? I am working on getting my podcast system setup, but music libraries don't support resuming and the podcast app doesn't download anything