Automatic Library Update

bigbadrabbit

bigbadrabbit

I thought automatic library scans after adding a file or folder is a standard setting but as it seems it doesn't work for OS X users?

Only thing that can be set is a time interval or system event like wake-from-sleep which isn't quite the same as auto scan on folder content changes.

Is there a way to enable such behavior?

Yes it's currently not supported for OSX, sorry.

To scan on an interval, go to the server dashboard -> Scheduled Tasks, and adjust the schedule for the library scan task. The default is every 12 hours but you could change it to every three hours if you want. There is also the ability to schedule a scan after it wakes from sleep, all on that same screen. Try it and let us know if you have any issues. Thanks.

bigbadrabbit

Thanks. Any plans for this feature?

Came from Plex and it's working without any problems across all platforms, including OS X.

We have it on other platforms. It's just a little unstable in the library that we're using for it on OSX but I am watching it for new versions to see if it gets resolved.

• 4 weeks later...

Its' not supported for OSX, sorry. But we do have features that allow you to setup notifications from apps like sonarr that will trigger the necessary scans, if that's what you need.

bigbadrabbit

Sorry, but that's clearly NOT the feature that was requested/needed...

We need automatic library updates after adding new media. 

Why is such a basic self-evident feature so hard to implement?

The server runs under the mono runtime, and that's what provides the file monitoring capabilities. Unfortunately their file monitoring implementation for OSX is not stable at this point and causes unhandled exceptions that can sometimes cause Emby Server to crash. So until that improves we've taken the feature away from the OSX release. You can try to enable it via the hidden config file in /programdata/config/system, set EnableLibraryMonitor to Enabled

bigbadrabbit

I see. Apart from that, the mono runtime is clearly the reason why Emby on Mac OS X is so buggy, sluggish and unstable.

I'd really wish there was a true Mac OS version of Emby and not a ported one. I'd so much like to use Emby instead of Plex.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate all the work that's being put into Emby's development. And the newer Mac-versions are clearly more stable then before. 

But because of all that buggines, i'll always have to switch back to Plex.

hstamas

I see. Apart from that, the mono runtime is clearly the reason why Emby on Mac OS X is so buggy, sluggish and unstable.

I'd really wish there was a true Mac OS version of Emby and not a ported one. I'd so much like to use Emby instead of Plex.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate all the work that's being put into Emby's development. And the newer Mac-versions are clearly more stable then before. 

But because of all that buggines, i'll always have to switch back to Plex.

Man, I 100% agree. I would so much like to be using (or at least try to use) Emby over Plex but just can't get a proper install going let alone a chance to actually use the program. Unfortunately not having content auto refresh is a deal breaker in my house.

I've updated the mac release to a new version of mono. This upgrades us from mono 3.12 all the way to 4.2, a very big jump. So this is probably worth re-evaluating again to see if it's more stable now.

bigbadrabbit

This is by far the most stable server release for Mac OS. Thanks so much, Luke! :D

A few things i've noticed:

Web Client

• Some menus i have to click twice to enter them correctly.
    For example when hovering over a poster --> click on the three dots --> then click on "Bilder bearbeiten" (edit images?) - there i always have to click twice to enter it. Using latest Safari 9.0.3

• Changes like setting watched/unwatched flag or change images only show up when force refreshing the webpage (also Safari)

Server / settings / library update

• First server startup sometimes takes up to 2 minutes before i can enter server settings or the web client (latest Mac OS 10.11.3, latest Mac mini i5 / SSD)

• Is there some command (http or cmd) for updating the library manually? (Web Client doesn't count ;-))

Emby for Kodi

• It's not possible to edit/change poster artwork inside Kodi? Even if i setup native playback. Any chance to implement that?

I really hope that from now these Mono upgrades are being integrated on a regular basis... Thanks again!

Edited by bigbadrabbit

bigbadrabbit

Thanks! Can you answer that already?

• Is there some command (http or cmd) for updating the library manually?

• 2 weeks later...
hstamas

I've updated the mac release to a new version of mono. This upgrades us from mono 3.12 all the way to 4.2, a very big jump. So this is probably worth re-evaluating again to see if it's more stable now.

Luke, does this mean that Emby for OS X now auto updates?

majorsl

Could you provide an example of the URL that would be used to do a library update? Without the auto-library update, I could call it from a script (maybe curl) when I'd want to force an update.

Thanks!

hstamas

It notifies you when an update is available.

Are we talking a system update or a library update? Im looking for Emby to update the contents of my library on my client when a new TV show or movie is added. I am under the impression that Windows does this but not OS X. If you are indeed referring to a library update, how does it go about notifying you?

Edited by hstamas

Right I see what you're saying. Since we updated mono with the last server release, I think we can probably restore the feature for OSX, so I'll add that for the next release.

• 4 months later...
kevin47

This would be a lot less painful if there was a "Rescan Library" item in the Emby widget in the OSX menu bar.

Now, if a add a new file (aka latest GOT episode) all I'd have to do is select rescan from the menu bar.  Now I have to go digging through many screens. 

I've posted the mac version of the new release a little early so that new users can start getting it now. You can grab it from the website if you'd like to try it:

http://emby.media/mac-server.html

The release is not up on the blog yet but you can read the changelist from the latest beta:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases

Lots of performance improvements, bug fixes, and a few new features. Enjoy.

• 1 month later...
hstamas

Right I see what you're saying. Since we updated mono with the last server release, I think we can probably restore the feature for OSX, so I'll add that for the next release.

Has this in fact been enabled on OS X now Luke? I see the check box for it in my libraries but when I check it then go back its unchecked.

Yes. If you're running the latest version of Emby Server you can enable it on a per-library basis by clicking on that particular library in library setup.