Paid app

kolbasz

Cruise

Just a quick question about having purchased it a long time ago. How do we go about having it attached to my google account that I have purchased it. I don't currently have a device that doesn't have the app installed, so I cannot test from a device that hasn't had it installed. Do I have to email you something or how exactly does it work? As I don't know when I will get a new device to get it done, and will likely forget by that time. 

Just a quick question about having purchased it a long time ago. How do we go about having it attached to my google account that I have purchased it. I don't currently have a device that doesn't have the app installed, so I cannot test from a device that hasn't had it installed. Do I have to email you something or how exactly does it work? As I don't know when I will get a new device to get it done, and will likely forget by that time. 

If you purchased it a long time ago then we have an in-app process that you can use by clicking the "Already Paid" button. Unfortunately there is no way to associate to your google account because that data was lost when it became a new app, so that's what you have to do. It's a one-time process per device.

• 2 weeks later...
skippyrocks

I read up on this first too. Installed it all and have just started to get it up and running... Now (after all this time of being informed that it was free) I find out that I need to pay. :( Not cool.

I WAY prefer the 'old days' (could call it ancient days) when you got some software/ a program, installed it and it would work- free or paid.

Nowadays everything is constantly evolving, requiring way more support and thus, req

I read up on this first too. Installed it all and have just started to get it up and running... Now (after all this time of being informed that it was free) I find out that I need to pay. :( Not cool.

I WAY prefer the 'old days' (could call it ancient days) when you got some software/ a program, installed it and it would work- free or paid.

Nowadays everything is constantly evolving, requiring way more support and thus, req

The app was always paid except for a 12-month period during 2015. We work extremely hard, I'm sorry we are unable to deliver all of that for free.

Cruise

If you purchased it a long time ago then we have an in-app process that you can use by clicking the "Already Paid" button. Unfortunately there is no way to associate to your google account because that data was lost when it became a new app, so that's what you have to do. It's a one-time process per device.

Just so I know how long does the process usually take to get the app going? I just got a tablet the other day and I send the request email a couple of days ago and just would like to know so I don't constantly check it when it could be a week or so away.

Apologies for the delay. Sometimes we get a little backed up with them. We'll try to get them all caught up today. Thanks.

Cruise

Apologies for the delay. Sometimes we get a little backed up with them. We'll try to get them all caught up today. Thanks.

Thank you. Can confirm it is now active for my tablet. Sadly my phone had an issue and had to be wiped so I need to wait for that to be reactivated. But at least I have one.

tenchimuyo93

i used to love MB3/emby.... now after getting a new phone only to find i cant use something ive been using for a year that was free isnt is kinda a slap in the face.

i understand you guys need to get paid but where was the warning. not even a notification on the server (got 200+ of them). sorry gotta go elsewhere.

You can still enjoy it on your previous device for as long as you like. We hope you will reconsider. We work really hard here to bring you guys the best experience we possibly can.

Zaphon

Well, guess I should have done more research.  I just installed Emby tonight as I'm sick and tired of the constant pestering from Plex about paying, and not being able to use any of the apps without paying.  Only took me 15 minutes to run into the same problem with Emby after getting it all up and running and installing the Android app.  So much for an open-source alternative.   :o

Edited by Zaphon

Well, guess I should have done more research.  I just installed Emby tonight as I'm sick and tired of the constant pestering from Plex about paying, and not being able to use any of the apps without paying.  Only took me 15 minutes to run into the same problem with Emby after getting it all up and running and installing the Android app.  So much for an open-source alternative.   :o

Actually we are open source but that doesn't mean we can be completely free. Emby is our job. Without being able to cover costs there is now way we can be competitive with other products, including the one you mentioned.

• Like 1

Zaphon

Actually we are open source but that doesn't mean we can be completely free. Emby is our job. Without being able to cover costs there is now way we can be competitive with other products, including the one you mentioned.

To each their own.  I'd be ok with charging for support or allowing people to support the program via donations, but to charge for the software to unlock features is just counter-intuitive to what open-source stands for.  But as I said, to each their own..  Back to my quest of finding a true open source alternative to Plex/Emby..

Open source does not mean free. The entire softwarea industry is going open source right now because it's the trendy thing to do, but that does not mean everything is becoming free. if you knew how hard we worked, I think you might feel differently. We have a small team that works really long hours. If you work then I would suggest asking your company to switch to voluntary donations, see what that does to your income level :) If you like open source and want to contribute, we would love to let you earn your unlock.

• Like 1

Zaphon

Open source does not mean free. The entire softwarea industry is going open source right now because it's the trendy thing to do, but that does not mean everything is becoming free. if you knew how hard we worked, I think you might feel differently. We have a small team that works really long hours. If you work then I would suggest asking your company to switch to voluntary donations, see what that does to your income level :) If you like open source and want to contribute, we would love to let you earn your unlock.

I am very well aware of the definition.  However, in my 20+ years of using open source software I've not had to pay to play for any of it (as I've only run into a few projects that require you to do so).  I have voluntarily given money to projects, and even purchased support on a few (as I want to continue to see them succeed).  I have even been involved in multiple open source projects over the years, as both the owner of the project as well as a contributor.  But I never set any expectation that I would support myself off them (that's what my daytime job is for, where we don't develop open source software hence my income level is safe).  But hey, I can respect wanting to get paid for it, it's what I do for a living.  However, there's a model for that already, closed source.

Edited by Zaphon

overClocked!

To each their own. I'd be ok with charging for support or allowing people to support the program via donations, but to charge for the software to unlock features is just counter-intuitive to what open-source stands for. But as I said, to each their own.. Back to my quest of finding a true open source alternative to Plex/Emby..

Hi.

Did you know the server and built-in web app (and some client apps) are completely free and fully functional?

If you would like to use Emby for playback on an unlimited "try before you buy" basis, you can do so by using your mobile web browser to connect to your server. Just open ports on your router so you can connect to your server while you are remote and enjoy the experience. Once you do, you might change your mind about paying the one-time $5 charge to unlock playback on the Android app.

In the spirit of donating to support open source projects (which Emby has always been), the $5 payment is one way you can contribute to its ongoing development without being badgered constantly while using your Native Android app in your mobile device. But if you want something for nothing, you have options for that, too. Just use a web browser to connect to your server and enjoy your content. It's pretty fantastic that way, too. And totally free without limitations.

There are other free options you can use without paying a single dime. But when you see the incredible amount of work put into this amazing product, you will understand why there is also a paid support model for premium features.

Here's hoping you will reconsider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zaphon

Hi.

Did you know the server and built-in web app (and some client apps) are completely free and fully functional?

If you would like to use Emby for playback on an unlimited "try before you buy" basis, you can do so by using your mobile web browser to connect to your server. Just open ports on your router so you can connect to your server while you are remote and enjoy the experience. Once you do, you might change your mind about paying the one-time $5 charge to unlock playback on the Android app.

In the spirit of donating to support open source projects (which Emby has always been), the $5 payment is one way you can contribute to its ongoing development without being badgered constantly while using your Native Android app in your mobile device. But if you want something for nothing, you have options for that, too. Just use a web browser to connect to your server and enjoy your content. It's pretty fantastic that way, too. And totally free without limitations.

There are other free options you can use without paying a single dime. But when you see the incredible amount of work put into this amazing product, you will understand why there is also a paid support model for premium features.

Here's hoping you will reconsider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.  And trust me, I understand you.  However, what you have described is exactly why I am looking to move away from Plex.  It used to be free to use the server, the clients, etc.  Then overtime it has become "try before you buy" (as I can watch for a short period on the Android app for example).  It has even become annoying on the Web side as well (in the last few versions, the server now complains if it's not logged in saying it is an "unclaimed server").  And I can't even use the clients on half my devices anymore as they removed the ability to put in a static IP to my server (the actual server is in a separate location and I reach it over an IPSec tunnel (I have gigabit internet and routers capable of doing IPSec at wire speed, so not worried about performance)).  The same with my mobile devices (VPN in, and configure manually).

My entire problem with the Plex model is it's all account based.  I don't want to "login" to my server, my clients, etc.  I just want to unlock them so I can use them all with out the nagging.  I don't need the plex servers to tell my clients how to reach my server.  I simply need the software to work without being pestered/limited in any way (and without phoning home).  Yeah that probably puts me in a bucket different from most users (who want the convenience of it just works vs the complicated setup I have).

So I started looking for alternatives as I have very specific desires (specifically an open-source alternative vs Plex which is closed source)  And as I mentioned above, I would have been willing to pay to play if the way it worked was right.  Several people mentioned Emby to me, hence why I tried it out.  However, what I ran into is almost identical issues to what I have with Plex (and obviously some discrepancies in my theory of open source).  I haven't fully ruled it out yet, as tonight I will try it with all my devices (I have a plethora of set top boxes around my house that I want to test with:  Roku 3 and 4, Amazon Fire TV (4k Model), 4th Gen Apple TV, Chromecast, and I am expecting an nVidia Shield Pro today.  I also have several tablets and mobile devices:  Android, Amazon, and Apple)

Now I'll be honest, I'm not sure the perfect solution for me exists out there, as for example one of the features of the mobile app that you pay for is to download a copy to your device for when on the go, but that's not something I care about.  I have unlimited LTE and great coverage in all the areas I visit (yet again, making me different than the majority)

Anyway, I'm way off topic.  I'll keep looking, see if I can make this work for me reasonably or not (my wife's first complaint was lack of plugins that we use on Plex, since we've been Cordcutters for 8+ years, some of her shows she watches she get's through plugins on Plex)

Edited by Zaphon

Check out the login mechanisms in our apps - you can use a plain server address without using any online Emby accounts if that is what you want. The Emby connect feature is entirely optional.

He was being facetious. Just a way to add zero value to the thread and make himself look foolish.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Vidman

How long will users be able to access their server without any online emby accounts? Please explain why asking that makes me look foolish

It doesn't make you look foolish. The choice of login was a design decision we made back in the beginning and there is no intention to change it. However, we do sometimes pay a price for it with users confused about having multiple ways to login.

Vidman

Thanks Luke thats a bit clearer than your first reply.

And thank you speechless for adding zero value to the thread[emoji14]

Thanks Luke thats a bit clearer than your first reply.

And thank you speechless for adding zero value to the thread[emoji14]

Dude.. You know you posted that to make a ridiculous statement. Youve been here for years. So have I. The way your post is with the leading.. . and ending... makes it look this way. So I just called it how it looked. One peek at your post history and you have a tendency to always do this so I just assumed. Sorry if you are offended at honesty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles