Paid app

kolbasz

keneighteen

Bye not using this app anymore. I dont like this being sprung on us without notification.

It was buggy to begin with but it was free so no complaints. Not gonna bother with this anymore

Edited by keneighteen
  • Like 1

Grimmers

Yeah, honestly I'm fine with supporting developers and would rather use this app than go back to PLEX, but I have to agree that this was quite poorly handled and is done in a very shady manner.

You've set this up in such a way that you can still show as 'free' on the play store, but hold the core defining feature behind a paywall, tricking both unaware new users and existing ones who are returning. It's a deceptive attempt to have your cake and eat it too and designed to slowly entropy away existing free users as they eventually reinstall the app. Now of course I realize you guys have to compete with PLEX who have a similar app model, and I wouldn't necessarily mind if not for the complete lack of communication about this to your users. It's literally just reinstalling one day to find the core feature of the app taken away from you. Software development should be about adding features, not removing them, especially when that something is core functionality.

It's all just left a very poor taste in my mouth and leaves me feeling like I'm being bait-and-switched rather than supporting a project of my own volition. It probably doesn't matter too terribly much to you guys since I'm sure you are playing the long game where new users who weren't spoiled on the 'old ways' will be more willing to pay the troll toll, but I'm definitely at the moment pretty unwilling to pay for this.

Yeah, honestly I'm fine with supporting developers and would rather use this app than go back to PLEX, but I have to agree that this was quite poorly handled and is done in a very shady manner.

You've set this up in such a way that you can still show as 'free' on the play store, but hold the core defining feature behind a paywall, tricking both unaware new users and existing ones who are returning. It's a deceptive attempt to have your cake and eat it too and designed to slowly entropy away existing free users as they eventually reinstall the app. Now of course I realize you guys have to compete with PLEX who have a similar app model, and I wouldn't necessarily mind if not for the complete lack of communication about this to your users. It's literally just reinstalling one day to find the core feature of the app taken away from you. Software development should be about adding features, not removing them, especially when that something is core functionality.

It's all just left a very poor taste in my mouth and leaves me feeling like I'm being bait-and-switched rather than supporting a project of my own volition. It probably doesn't matter too terribly much to you guys since I'm sure you are playing the long game where new users who weren't spoiled on the 'old ways' will be more willing to pay the troll toll, but I'm definitely at the moment pretty unwilling to pay for this.

Hi, this was actually not our intention, as we've taken measures to keep the app free for everyone who was using it for free before, even if you uninstalled it. But you are right, it could have been better handled.

Please know this is not an attempt at deception at all.  The description of the app states right up front that it is free for Premiere subscribers but requires an unlock for those that aren't.  But I know no one reads descriptions...

The way the stores are constructed, this is the only way we can provide a free app to one group of people and a paid app to another - without each group having to install a separate app and understand that they need to do that.

• 1 month later...
vick1982

I am a premiere supporter.. why cant anyone in my family get full version of app just by logging in to my server which is emby premiere... it makes no sense they have to be on my local network when logging in?????

Edited by vick1982

I am a premiere supporter.. why cant anyone in my family get full version of app just by logging in to my server which is emby premiere... it makes no sense they have to be on my local network when logging in?????

Our intention is to allow you to share it with everyone in your household. For people who are out of your network, we ask that they purchase the single app unlock. That is the reason for the local network requirement. Please note, they do not always have to be on the local network, just one time.

valitudor

Hello!

I am a user who paid for this Android application. A few weeks ago, my phone stoped working and its logicboard was replaced by manufacturer. Since then, I can't use your application. What can i do to use your application beyond that 1 minute lmitation?

Thank you!

Hello!

I am a user who paid for this Android application. A few weeks ago, my phone stoped working and its logicboard was replaced by manufacturer. Since then, I can't use your application. What can i do to use your application beyond that 1 minute lmitation?

Thank you!

Hi, welcome. On the unlock screen, click the "Already Paid" button, and follow the instructions there. Thanks!

vick1982

Our intention is to allow you to share it with everyone in your household. For people who are out of your network, we ask that they purchase the single app unlock. That is the reason for the local network requirement. Please note, they do not always have to be on the local network, just one time.

yes i  know it is only once on the local network... this is still just annoying.. connecting to a premiere member server should be enough to stop limitations. This would encourage more people to be a premiere supporter to avoid these issues when they want to share with anyone.  

ericcorp

A question about the Android single in app purchase.  I have an emby server at home, but I want to play videos offline on my android.  The app purchase page indicates you get access to emby sync with the in-app purchase, however after doing so, the sync button redirects you to the purchase page, saying you need a subscription.  Can you clarify what features you get with each item?  I opened a Google Play ticket for a refund with you as well, since I'm just testing this vs Plex, and with the cost being the same for a monthly paid account, I'd much rather use plex.

Also, does the download button on Android do anything?  When  click it, nothing happens.  Is that feature behind the paywall as well?

The app purchase page indicates you get access to emby sync with the in-app purchase,

Can you tell us exactly where you saw that?

Sync is a server feature that requires Premiere.

ericcorp

Can you tell us exactly where you saw that?

Sync is a server feature that requires Premiere.

Since I've already made the IAP, the page isn't the same, but if you load the app and attempt to play before you actually make the IAP the screen says you can either have emby premiere or a one time IAP to unlock these features, and then in the feature list it has all the premiere features.  It's probably trying to say "playing on mobile requires either but if you have premiere you get all these others" but it's ambiguous.  Also,  I did the premier purchase, and it works really poorly, the app is janky on my stock N5x, and it's really not something I can use regularly.  

gstuartj

I'm dedicated to this project, but I have to admit the new approach to licensing in some of the apps comes as a bit of a bummer, and has disabled viewing for a few of my users. This is a big project, and clearly parts of it need to be monetized, but I'm wondering if there might be a better way to handle the licensing. There are a few major problems with the current model:

1. Limiting usage to a physical location rather than by relationship diminishes the usefulness of the software. I only share access with my immediate family, but we don't live together. This could push more users toward competitors.
  2. It also breaks functionality for legitimate users. What about users who run their Emby server in the cloud? Or who have two residences?
  3. Some users might have 50 clients on their local network, some might have 2 local, 3 remote. One client has far fewer total clients, but can only use 2 without paying an additional charge the network with 50 clients isn't required to pay.

Just for comparison, some similar proprietary software we all know about allows administrators to designate certain users on their server as "Home Users," which allows them to use client apps on that particular server for free (but doesn't carry additional benefits). This commercial app allows up to 15 users to be put added to the designated "Home" list. I think a similar model for Emby would be very reasonable.

I'm dedicated to this project, but I have to admit the new approach to licensing in some of the apps comes as a bit of a bummer, and has disabled viewing for a few of my users. This is a big project, and clearly parts of it need to be monetized, but I'm wondering if there might be a better way to handle the licensing. There are a few major problems with the current model:

1. Limiting usage to a physical location rather than by relationship diminishes the usefulness of the software. I only share access with my immediate family, but we don't live together. This could push more users toward competitors.
  2. It also breaks functionality for legitimate users. What about users who run their Emby server in the cloud? Or who have two residences?
  3. Some users might have 50 clients on their local network, some might have 2 local, 3 remote. One client has far fewer total clients, but can only use 2 without paying an additional charge the network with 50 clients isn't required to pay.

Just for comparison, some similar proprietary software we all know about allows administrators to designate certain users on their server as "Home Users," which allows them to use client apps on that particular server for free (but doesn't carry additional benefits). This commercial app allows up to 15 users to be put added to the designated "Home" list. I think a similar model for Emby would be very reasonable.

Yes we are definitely thinking about these things and would like to improve on the current model.

gstuartj

Yes we are definitely thinking about these things and would like to improve on the current model.

Good to hear, thanks.

andyuser

Please know this is not an attempt at deception at all.  The description of the app states right up front that it is free for Premiere subscribers but requires an unlock for those that aren't.  But I know no one reads descriptions...

The way the stores are constructed, this is the only way we can provide a free app to one group of people and a paid app to another - without each group having to install a separate app and understand that they need to do that.

Will you please stop hiding behind false technical restrictions. Many applications in the store have a license addon and let google handle the licencing. The ONLY reason you want to do it yourself is it is the only way to have people that have previously purchased and downloaded the free app to have to pay. That is a cute little jab at people who are complainig you have changed the applicaiton description with some tongue in cheek, by the way. I have now had multiple devices stop working after installing an update. I know you think sending an e-mail is sufficient, but when I've fought with the app already to get it to connect, load and play, it asking me to pay because your update broke, then being told to spend more of my time to fix your mistake makes me want to uninstall and give money to someone that has a product worth supporting. The android app is not production ready. I (and many others) beleive its not OK to charge for beta software. I tried to have some of my friends and family use the app, and they found it more effort than worth to them. Sometimes I update the app, and it forgets my server so I have to re-add it. (ok for me, but not others that dont know what the server address is after setup.) Many of these problems will get fixed eventually, but people want their media now. While they are away from home, or traveling etc. One or two times having something fail when then want to use it causes them to uninstall and move on to another service. Your competition is netflix, amazon, spotify, slacker, pandora, HBO as well as plex. One of the annoying things with plex vs emby is the apps for ps3 ps4 needing to be on the local network, rather than being able to connect out to a url. Having a DMZ for your server also renders the app unusable.

Mediocre,

Vidman

Will you please stop hiding behind false technical restrictions. Many applications in the store have a license addon and let google handle the licencing. The ONLY reason you want to do it yourself is it is the only way to have people that have previously purchased and downloaded the free app to have to pay. That is a cute little jab at people who are complainig you have changed the applicaiton description with some tongue in cheek, by the way. I have now had multiple devices stop working after installing an update. I know you think sending an e-mail is sufficient, but when I've fought with the app already to get it to connect, load and play, it asking me to pay because your update broke, then being told to spend more of my time to fix your mistake makes me want to uninstall and give money to someone that has a product worth supporting. The android app is not production ready. I (and many others) beleive its not OK to charge for beta software. I tried to have some of my friends and family use the app, and they found it more effort than worth to them. Sometimes I update the app, and it forgets my server so I have to re-add it. (ok for me, but not others that dont know what the server address is after setup.) Many of these problems will get fixed eventually, but people want their media now. While they are away from home, or traveling etc. One or two times having something fail when then want to use it causes them to uninstall and move on to another service. Your competition is netflix, amazon, spotify, slacker, pandora, HBO as well as plex. One of the annoying things with plex vs emby is the apps for ps3 ps4 needing to be on the local network, rather than being able to connect out to a url. Having a DMZ for your server also renders the app unusable.

Mediocre,

You are wrong

andyuser

You are wrong

What part. Technically, I am not. The only part that was opinion is to their why. Sure I may be wrong, but so far between thinly veiled excuses and incorrect answers on their part (claiming technology is at fault, not their decisions) are all true. You can look at code snippits and other applications. Takeing a free app, making it paid by adding your own licensing to go around licensing already in the store is super shady. Its more difficult, more steps involved, and makes re-installing a longer, more difficult process.

If someone has made a purchase, and you then tell them they have to repurchase because they reinstalled their phone, is making the claim people were only ever licensing the software from the appstore not buying it.

So far the only real response has been one sentence, "it could have been better handled." What does that mean? It doesnt seem like anyone is sorry. Getting access back to accounts after a reinstall isn't quick either. I'm glad I get to wait days for something I already purchased. It is also nice that its at the whim of someone out of the original chain of trust that gets to decide that. Not shady at all.

Why not just add an upgrade license like most everyone else does, that is purchased through the appstore, and can be applied from the app store to a new version of the app?

I'm not sure why you think making people wait on you, to fix your mistakes is a good idea. It is horrible customer service and insulting. Attempting to put the blame on technology for business decisions is worse.

I've had two devices no longer realize they are activated and a third I have a backup of with Ti backup, but every time I try the update, it fails and asks for me to purchase. I am sure many people run Emby over Plex as they don't want a company watching over their media and users. You used to be able to install the latest app, however you like, if you update your phone often for reasons (security, stability, etc) you now have a problem where getting all your paid apps back is very easy, except for Emby. which is a PITA.

Do you have a roadmap of how fast you want to drive your company into the ground, because I think it's working.

Edit: P.S. I wish you would go into more detail as to why I was wrong, since so far, most postings have leaned towards the reasoning of money. Money is a great reason, but i'm not sure its worth insult and deception?

Edited by andyuser

If you purchased the app prior to January 2015, then you purchased it from a different developer under a different name, and that is why we are not able to automatically unlock you. We don't have that purchasing data, which means we have to process you manually and there's nothing we can do about that. There is no false technical restriction. On the other hand, if you purchased after that, or have Emby Premiere, and it's not getting recognized, then this is an issue that can be fixed if you'll kindly work with us.

• Like 1

Takeing a free app, making it paid by adding your own licensing to go around licensing already in the store is super shady.

There is nothing shady here.  Our product (Emby Premiere) is available outside of the store marketplaces and has been since before we ever had an app in a store.

Therefore, we have to support validating that product outside of any of the stores.

Yea we don't go around store licensing, we work both with it and without it, just like netflix, hulu, etc. if you want to get your license in the app store, you can do that. 

Vidman

... But it may cost you a little more due to Google/apple/Amazon taking a cut right?

Edited by Vidman