Go to solution Solved by Tanamur,

Tanamur
MBServer: Version 3.0.5083.27698
MBClassic: Version 3.0.100.0 B12-4.1
MBTheater: Not installed
PC Server OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Codecs: Nothing other than installed with Win7 out of the box and MBServer
Extender:  HP MediaSmart Connect x280n

I would appreciate some guidance on the MB3 preferred library structure for multi-disc music CD's to avoid multiple album/CD entries. I have just gone through a retagging exercise (thanks Luke) with Media Monkey which has greatly improved the information pulled from the tags in recent versions of MB3 Server.  

I did have the CD's stored as...

\Music
   \Artist Name
      \Album Name - Disc 1
         1- Song.mp3
         2- Song.mp3

\Album Name - Disc 2

1- Song.mp3
         2- Song.mp3

...which resulted in multiple entries per album/CD and doesn't always automatically display Disc 1/Disc 2 in the name from the folder structure.

Now I have renamed the physical file tracks on the discs to reflect their respective discs, tagged them as disc 1, disc 2, and combined folders as below...

\Music
   \Artist Name
      \Album Name
         101- Song.mp3
         102- Song.mp3

201- Song.mp3

202- Song.mp3

...but this results in duplicated track numbers and straight album play would then jump back and forth from disc/track 101 to disc/track 201, 102, 202, 103, 203, etc.

52a91f2add14b_duptracksmb3.jpg

Is there a track file naming convention that will let me combine disc folders and get me to the sequential track order from disc1, then disc 2 to disc x? Or, am I going about it all wrong?

Thanks, Tanamur

We read the disc number in the tags, we don't use the file names at all for that. you could try running your song through ffprobe to see what it reports because that's what we use.

Tanamur

We read the disc number in the tags, we don't use the file names at all for that. you could try running your song through ffprobe to see what it reports because that's what we use.

Sorry but I can't find the local path to ffprob.exe or variable to run the test on the file. Where would I find it?

%appdata%\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg  in the ffmpeg folder with the newest date

Edited by Tikuf

• Solution
Tanamur

Thanks Luke/Tikuf - (L)user error. A quick probe of the tracks did not reveal a "DISC:" field. Media Monkey (MM) does tagging a bit differently in that it stores all of the modifications in its own database and then requires you to Synchronize (write) the MM database to the file tags explicitly. I am sure this is a good thing as a double check before user modification of the actual files.

After syncronizing/writing the new tags and a quick MB3 rescan of the files I get this.....

52a955393be4c_MMMusicFixed.jpg

...instead of this....

52a955df1a276_duptracksmb3.jpg

Many thanks gentlemen. Problem solved! RocknRoll, Tanamur

Brendon

How do we handle Album Boxsets??

I don't mean double/triple albums etc... specifically boxsets with multiple albums, i have several of these for Pink Floyd, The Beatles, ACDC, ABBA etc.... each album inside has a unique cover and it would be nice to have a way of displaying it like movie boxsets.

that's not a supported feature right now, and unlike movie collections i'm not aware of any online sources for images and metadata

Brendon

awww but, but, luke i have my own images and will write the metadata lol was just hoping there was some work-around for them, i was having so much fun adding my .flac library now it's supported, i knew i would hit a wall somewhere because it was all too easy :P

Edited by Brendon

• 1 year later...
Tolerant

that's not a supported feature right now, and unlike movie collections i'm not aware of any online sources for images and metadata

MP3Tag (Software, Free) supports images and or metadata from Amazon.com / .de,  and Musicbrainz.org, discogs.com, freeb. for Artists, Albums, etc.

*Kind of old post, I know.