Feature to Force DirectPlay Only Without Any Detection and Disable All Transcoding

gordan
Go to solution Solved by gordan,

The post explaining what to do is at the top of the page. It's pretty detailed (rename ffmpeg to ffmpeg.bin and create a shell script call ffmpeg with the contents as described above).

Deathsquirrel

Oh, ok.

Btw, i know i'm a noob, but could you made a detailed guide about how utilize your wrapper?

IIRC his solution requires a Linux server.  There are other options for avoiding the need for transcoding that will work regardless of your server platform, depending on your specific media and client requirements.

Also, if this is a feature you want to see you should click Like This on the original post in the thread.  That's how votes are tracked.

I'm quite certain you could write something similar in the Windows batch scripting language or power shell.

I could look through the emby sources and write a patch that completely disables auto-detection, but if I were do do that, I suspect the temptation to fork it would rapidly become too great to resist, and I have far too much other open source work on the go at the moment, including Linux distro maintenance.

Deathsquirrel

I'm quite certain you could write something similar in the Windows batch scripting language or power shell.

I could look through the emby sources and write a patch that completely disables auto-detection, but if I were do do that, I suspect the temptation to fork it would rapidly become too great to resist, and I have far too much other open source work on the go at the moment, including Linux distro maintenance.

Sure but at this point it's unclear if Jhyrachy needs your solution at all and, if so, if they can use the one that already exists.  Regardless of your work load jumping on that wouldn't really make sense unless it's for fun.

@@Jhyrachy, what platform is your server, what platform is your client, and what is the problem you're trying to address here?

Jhyrachy

IIRC his solution requires a Linux server.  There are other options for avoiding the need for transcoding that will work regardless of your server platform, depending on your specific media and client requirements.

Also, if this is a feature you want to see you should click Like This on the original post in the thread.  That's how votes are tracked.

yeah, i already know it require a linux server, this is not a problem, i already have it (arch)

Sure but at this point it's unclear if Jhyrachy needs your solution at all and, if so, if they can use the one that already exists.  Regardless of your work load jumping on that wouldn't really make sense unless it's for fun.

@@Jhyrachy, what platform is your server, what platform is your client, and what is the problem you're trying to address here?

I have an Odroid C1+ with a 3Tb Hd attached.

What i want is something that not only works as a file server (i already can do this with SMB or NFS) but scrape all the metadata for my films periodically (for example, if i add a new film, it should search the metadata for it automatically). all of this MUST be plug and play (i mean, i install kodi on any device i want, i download the emby add-ons, that should be multiplatform, and it should works, pretty much how library sharing works on kodi). Also, it MUST works offline (i mean, if i travel and take with me my odroid and the Hard drive, any client connected to the wireless hotspot made by the odroid must works without change of configuration (i repeat, all of this is also done by kodi library sharing)

I understood that emby does exactly this, right? Minus the inconvenient of having to use a GUI (that on a headless server is a pain)

Now, there is a problem with emby: the Odroid that i use is NOT suited for transcoding, it will only slow anything down and cause problems.

So I want to completely switch off the transcoder. I know that some of my devices will not be able to stream some file (like the lumia 630 of my brother, that will not be able to see my 15Gb blu ray rip of the Lord of the Rings), but I don't care. What i care is that the SoC is not stressed and not slowed down (because it also host a torrent client and host some other programs), so i need the minimum footprint possible.

Jhyrachy

Then definitely the OP's suggested solution should be right for your needs.

A bit off topic, but i can't find any info about: emby 100% works offline, right? I mean, if my library is already scraped, even without internet i can play all of it, right?

Also i do not need to insert special setup on the kodi client if i change connection, it will adjust automatically, right? (i mean, switch from ethernet trough the router to an hotspot based connection with a different IP)

lulzyatlas

Ha, talk about uphill battle. I give up. Not switching my entire OS for this and I see this thread has reached the point of "let's just scroll by until they stop posting". Gordon, thanks for sharing a solution for those on your platform, at least someone has an option now.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

breezytm

I think what emby server needs is an option to hide advanced configurations. Plenty of developers are going that route to please both newbies and advanced users. Default for newbie and click on Advanced\expert for well, you guessed it. Expert/advanced users. Plex has it. Kodi has it too. Geez I can think of many apps that I use for media that has it. (PLEX, Kodi, CP, Sonarr, etc..) 

• Like 5

Spaceboy

I think what emby server needs is an option to hide advanced configurations. Plenty of developers are going that route to please both newbies and advanced users. Default for newbie and click on Advanced\expert for well, you guessed it. Expert/advanced users. Plex has it. Kodi has it too. Geez I can think of many apps that I use for media that has it. (PLEX, Kodi, CP, Sonarr, etc..)

its been suggested in relation to other functions. They didn't like it

if you look at the new dialog box we have to schedule live tv recordings, we have a toggle button for advanced settings. so that is a pattern we can continue to use in the future

Pirlo1966

The issue is still that, for 90%+ of users, turning on such an option would create problems instead of solving them.

Not if you make it clear that thicking this box can break playback.

This is why I would need it:

Am using synology NAS running server Versie 3.0.5785.0.  Client is Shield TV with android 5.1 running latest emby beta.

I'm aware of the issues to playback DD in < android 5.1.1. But since I'll have to wait until nvidia rolls out android 6 to shield TV I need to find a solution to playback true hd movies.

I know I can play DD movies by setting "compatible' play back but it doesn't work with true HD. Emby server always want to transcode instead of streaming the movie. But my NAS (synology 1815) cannot handle heavy transcoding. How can I make sure emby server NEVER transcodes?

• Like 1

breezytm

if you look at the new dialog box we have to schedule live tv recordings, we have a toggle button for advanced settings. so that is a pattern we can continue to use in the future

Some people say that style makes Emby server looks and I quote "clunky"

I don't see how that could possibly be clunky, sorry. Not everyone needs those padding fields. It's just a quick flip if you need them

• Like 1

Pirlo1966

The post explaining what to do is at the top of the page. It's pretty detailed (rename ffmpeg to ffmpeg.bin and create a shell script call ffmpeg with the contents as described above).

Ooops, your solution sounds like what I need but I'm one of these average, uneducated users. I strictly have no clue how to implement your wrapper.

I would appreciate if you could share the shell script ffmpeg with the content needed and indicate in what folder it should be placed. I do know how to access my linux NAS folder structure.

Well, according to the developers, average, uneducated users couldn't possibly need such a feature, and they would immediately, figuratively speaking, aim that rocket launcher squarely at their feet, and should therefore remain at the mercy of emby's configuration features or lack thereof.

The location to place it is in whatever directory the ffmpeg binary is. Rename that ffmpeg binary to ffmpeg.bin, and create the script as described in a fresh executable file. You may need to change the user check if on your system emby server runs as a user different from "emby". Note that this will not survive the ffmpeg package update (this will clobber the ffmpeg wrapper with the original binary. Also note that the transcoding directory must be on the same file system as the media itself, otherwise hard-linking (ln line) will fail.

breezytm

I don't see how that could possibly be clunky, sorry. Not everyone needs those padding fields. It's just a quick flip if you need them

Well it wouldn't be to you considering you know what you are doing. Not just the padding field. 

Here's my response 

Everything is "clunky" and difficult to grasp until you understand and use it for a while afterwards it becomes normal and basic. I use both Emby and Plex as my primary servers. I use Emby internally and Plex externally. The server is very very very easy to setup. I can set it up in like 10 minutes. But then again i've set this thing up at least 7 time since Emby 3 was released. It's really not that difficult.
Edited by breezytm

Well it wouldn't be to you considering you know what you are doing. Not just the padding field. 

Here's my response 

Everything is "clunky" and difficult to grasp until you understand and use it for a while afterwards it becomes normal and basic. I use both Emby and Plex as my primary servers. I use Emby internally and Plex externally. The server is very very very easy to setup. I can set it up in like 10 minutes. But then again i've set this thing up at least 7 time since Emby 3 was released. It's really not that difficult.

If you don't know what you're doing then wouldn't it be even more helpful? Because the recording pop-up comes up with nothing but the title and a red record button. I'm not sure how to make it much easier than that. Just talking strictly about the pop-up and not other things

Dizzy49

I wanted to chime in here...

I think that it would be very helpful it a user could set certain things in the device profile.  Right now they can change the name and camera stuff, and that's it.  I'd like to set max bitrate streaming and/or transcoding to sync per device.  For instance, I want smaller files on my phone than on my tablet (8GB vs 128GB).  Typically I'm on 4G on my phone, and using Wifi for my tablet so I might want higher bitrate on my tablet.  Then on my desktop, since I run it through my AV reciever that can decode anything, I would force no transcoding.

I think that would be a more elegant want to implement something like this.  Then the OP would just need to set the device(s) to never transcode and be done.

• Like 2

brendabryg

The issue is still that, for 90%+ of users, turning on such an option would create problems instead of solving them.

I can see logic in both sides of this argument, but honestly the emby users are "dumb" argument is more of a stretch.  

+1 to having the option to force direct play enabled for me

I have a nexus player, can't direct play any mpeg2  WMC recordings (480i or 1080i) in the android TV app.  Direct play in kodi is fine, and through actual VLC outside of the emby app is fine.  I would love an option to force direct streaming for the emby apps... limit it to the Beta group if that helps, hide it however you want it would just be nice to try.

I am so glad I found this thread, and others. I was considering buying a license, but this is a show stopper for me.

1. Since my server is on 24/7 I want it to be low power
  2. If transcoding needs to be done it should be on the client because it is more distributed, and cheaper, and I can have many steams at the same time and I don't have to have a single huge, expensive, server to feed many streams.
  3. Seeing how emby devs treat their advanced users is crazy bad. They all need a lesson in customer service. I'm not sure I want to support a project that treats everyone like an idiot.
  4. Chrome probably have more "dumb" users and even they have an advanced mode. Have you ever used chrome://about/?
  5. There already are options that "break" playback. The above mentioned check boxes will break playback of videos if the client thinks it cannot handle it.
  6. The lifetime license is a lie. It really isn't a lifetime license, but just a normal license. For, example if I buy Microsoft Office I get to keep that version +updates forever but not any new versions. The same as your lifetime license. If you look at dvdfab and avs4you, they offer a real lifetime license. I bought it once and I get all upgrades/versions for free, forever. In fact, even Windows has moved to a real lifetime license. You buy Windows 10 you get all upgrades for free forever.

Anyways that's my rant, just thought you might want to know why this "idiot" wont be purchasing a license for emby.

Edited by PHPpro

Hi there, PHPpro, several pages ago I did say that we always listen to you guys and we do adjust based on feedback. No decision is ever final, and in fact, this isn't really even a decision at this point. Like any feature request, we watch and wait and see what the community feedback is compared to other requests. So stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is keeping track of members who think the OP's idea is a good idea, count me in!

I understand devs hesitation to add the feature in the UI because some people will invariably activate it and then complain that Emby sucks because it "doesn't work right" anymore. In that case, I don't mind a setting that has to be done manually in a config file - providing it doesn't have to be redone after every update.

I too have converted my collection to a format natively playable by pretty much anything and would like the server not to be loaded down transcoding for nothing. My server also runs SQL Express and IIS for some personal web apps. Everything runs swimmingly with a lowly i3-3240 CPU selected specifically for power savings since it's running 24/7. Upping the CPU just so the server can transcode something that it shouldn't need to is not really acceptable IMO. Luckily, it's not too often it needs to transcode, and when it does, it's only been one stream at a time so the i3 seems to still handle it fine so far.

Vidman

The way they keep track is by the "likes " on the original post

BTW luck is not the reason it works well for you most of the time

Edited by Vidman