Feature to Force DirectPlay Only Without Any Detection and Disable All Transcoding

gordan
Go to solution Solved by gordan,

Deathsquirrel

There is no such option with Plex, as far as I am aware. Can you point me at where in their documentation or on their forum it says this?

Like I said, could be wrong about the product.  I haven't seriously used Plex in several years.  The admin and playback UI was moderately dreadful at that time IMO.  In any case, I've seen other projects with a similar approach and think it can be useful.

Please let's not turn this into a religious debate. You guys know we always listen to your feedback, so just like anything else if we see that enough people want it, we will adjust accordingly.

gordan

Please let's not turn this into a religious debate. You guys know we always listen to your feedback, so just like anything else if we see that enough people want it, we will adjust accordingly.

That seems perfectly reasonable. Just out of interest, what constitutes "enough people"?

When using a web browser, you can see the likes given for the first post of every thread. Now the majority have zero, because this feature isnt something all users are aware. If they migrated from the old boards to these forums, the user should understand that. So like the first post of a thread if you also have the same issue, or you feel the same opinion, or want the same feature. Otherwise you posts expressing the same view may not get counted. Use your like buttons more on first posts of threads, people. Clickitty click click more.

@@lulzyatlas like the first post of this thread to add your +1 officially

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

xXSagaiaXx

Yeah, otherwise the value of the feature suggestion section is a grave yard. Come see where the good ideas come to die and never get realized. Everyone deserves their back scratched if they scratch yours. It should be a place of friendliness and common goals. You want feature X too? omg.. Now I can "spend" my wish on another feature since yours was spent on that. Sweet! The comments in a wishes section would be much more friendlier because the people with access to that section have invested in it. This would reduce the time spent chasing posts like this which may drift into antagonistic behaviors and untowards conduct. I agree deathsquirrel. I am only human as are you. Neither of us deserves to be pointed out as an idiot. Everybody has a common goal here. Lets make emby better. So in the spirit of the season, lets put forth a better community. Sorry for the earlier remarks. Im just trying to get progress here. So tiring seeing users hopes dashed, and their ideas left to rot. I get a little tear in my eye.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Microsoft already has a feature for their garage development. You get a limited amount of votes, you can either vote on a feature as many votes that you have or multiple features. As soon as a feature gets enough votes, the dev team starts implementing it into said app. If the feature you voted for goes into development then you get those votes back allowing you to vote again on another feature you would like.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

lulzyatlas

This is being looked at as resolved? That Linux wrapper script will do nothing for Win Servers.

And with Chrome OS playback detection being broken as it's built on Chromium and not supporting external players, the AndroTV client repackaged for Chromium not functioning, and no way to force Emby to realize Chrome has a VLC extension (URL schemes aren't supported, can't launch externally). Its still an issue for that platform (basically any browser based one). Win&Andro appear to be the best at detection, which is nice until it just doesn't work.

When it doesn't work, the people who actually know what they're doing with codecs and have some business setting up a samba based media server with intricacies of port forwards, NAS, and share management would like an option to simply turn the thing off.

Begging to have this considered because some people might not know what they're doing? Functionality over simplicity, wasn't it?

Besides, isn't this why we answer each other's questions here on the forum, so we can all learn more about using Emby and making it work? Why shy away from potential confusion, if someone can't get it to work they can change their setting back or come here to the forum and use it for what its for. Anyone who can't figure out "this check box broke playback" is gonna be in for far worse with a media server.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

AndroTV client repackaged for Chromium not functioning

We do not have an Android TV client repackaged for Chromium.

As for the web apps, they do support vlc with url schemes, but they do not support Vlc browser extensions. There is really no reason to spend time supporting the browser NPAPI extensions because support for them has been deprecated by Chromium.

lulzyatlas

We do not have an Android TV client repackaged for Chromium.

As for the web apps, they do support vlc with url schemes, but they do not support Vlc browser extensions. There is really no reason to spend time supporting the browser NPAPI extensions because support for them has been deprecated by Chromium.

Alright, let me clarify. I know you don't have an Android TV client for Chromium, I reeepackaged it myself with ARChon runtime to try and get around the browsers limitations. A bust but worth a shot, the failure of which shot was also worth noting.

I know the web apps support URL schemes. Chrome OS does not support URL schemes at the very least for VLC. Meaning both extension and app are invisible and unusable to the built in Play using External Player button.

Meaning browser based play is the only option for a client such as this, which due to the limited functionality detection would have broader playback using its own media handling (which would let it plug VLC or MXPlayer into the page for playing) instead of auto detection.

I'm not saying support browser extensions they don't need support. When a media they can play is detected on the page the browser let's them play it. Its just yet again a matter of getting Emby to present that media.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Edited by lulzyatlas

Ok, right. The ability for an external app to take over for browser playback is a valid scenario, so that's something we should figure out.

6 pages, and back to the original question. This is so counter productive. Adding the feature eliminates backlash. The user can now be their own boss, instead of being bossed around. Its just sort of funny to see this unfolded right back to the original question in the first post. The answer is as simple, as a clear yes or no. Which is it? :)

Obviously we know its no, its just a elongated way of saying no without saying it. Eventually with enough "are we there yet?" 's mentioning the title of this thread it will be a yes? One can hope. Hope is like wishing but knowing it wont come true. Wish I could say I have faith. Faith is like wishing but knowing it will come true. Wishes. The word to remember.

Edited by speechles

The issue is still that, for 90%+ of users, turning on such an option would create problems instead of solving them.

For that argument to be logically coherent, it would also imply that no other currently configurable option would have a similar detrimental effect. Does that mean that if I can find one other configurable option I can toggle that breaks emby you are going to accept that this would be a genuinely useful option for a lot of users and just add it? Or does it mean that you will remove the option that I can modify to make emby not work? Which is it?

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

For that argument to be logically coherent, it would also imply that no other currently configurable option would have a similar detrimental effect. Does that mean that if I can find one other configurable option I can toggle that breaks emby you are going to accept that this would be a genuinely useful option for a lot of users and just add it? Or does it mean that you will remove the option that I can modify to make emby not work? Which is it?

IF there are still such options, and effort has clearly been made to change them to prevent it, they would remove or change it so it didn't cause such an issue.

This isn't a contest to embarrass the dev team.  They have design goals and a simple solution that works well with minimal user expertise required is clearly one of those goals.  There are clients that require little or no transcoding for those that need them.  There are clients that may require extensive transcoding, depending on media formats used.  The server is supposed to automate this.  If it's making errors that's a bug and they'll very likely get it fixed quickly when reported.

• Like 1

lulzyatlas

No one's here to try to embarass the devs, if we put a dunce cap on the makers of the product, we become the dunces using the dunce produced product. Basically, we'd all look silly.

Scenarios have been presented in this thread that show an inability to play a full capability of content in certain scenarios and environments, and a method to resolve this has been presented.

Fine tuning auto detection isn't an all encompassing solution, as its entirely dependent upon the client and its framework's ability to communicate what's playable and what isn't (to my knowledge the HTML5 player is simply incapable of passing this information in detail).

Accepting that we're a userbase made up of casual users and power users, maybe we should stop debating if more of us would be confused than not, and look for midground that allows experienced users access to advanced options without making things too easy to break for the curious.

I'd vote a CLI, with its list of commands managed here on the forum, so it can only be found with the appropriate documentation (perhaps this could be groundwork to the fine ffmpeg and codec control that has been brought up here before), but the implementation of commands and a console seems like more overhead than what this feature calls for to begin with.

A warning box stating the option can break things? A seperate, hidden menu, accessible only by URL instead of the click through user flow? This seems like it'd be easy to add in, and the link to these dirty tools could also be kept here in some info thread so only those in search of it came across it.

Of course this is all dependent on if we even get the option, but thinking of safe ways to add it seems like a good start to quelling a fear of beginner panic.

Edited by lulzyatlas

IF there are still such options, and effort has clearly been made to change them to prevent it, they would remove or change it so it didn't cause such an issue.

This isn't a contest to embarrass the dev team.  They have design goals and a simple solution that works well with minimal user expertise required is clearly one of those goals.  There are clients that require little or no transcoding for those that need them.  There are clients that may require extensive transcoding, depending on media formats used.  The server is supposed to automate this.  If it's making errors that's a bug and they'll very likely get it fixed quickly when reported.

Would you kindly take your trolling, anti-helpfulness and ignorance to another thread?

Deathsquirrel

Would you kindly take your trolling, anti-helpfulness and ignorance to another thread?

Nope, all cozy here.  Seriously though, you asked a question and there is nothing trollish about the answer.  What do they do when someone finds a config option that breaks things and generates a ton of support issues?  They disable the option or redesign it to be safer.  You asked.

That won't help you get this feature request.  Finding some other potentially dangerous configuration option doesn't mean they're adding some new potentially dangerous option as some sort of penance or reward.

• Like 1

I think the fellow was more along the lines of, why does it matter to you? You personally mate. Do you have an issue with this feature? To bag on about whats already been said is getting us nowhere. It causes angst. You feel it dont you?

Once again, there is nothing "dangerous" about it. Having this doom and gloom theory is fine. But this isnt what would happen with the feature. Instead of nay say, just listen. The fellow is using ettiquette and stating his opinion. Its fine if you dont agree but stop being "that guy". I mean your reputation is tanking. Now you go, who cares, etc.. And ok, be that way but please be that way where others dont have to see it publically. Defending your opinion is one thing. Appearing to be the "mouth" is just making you look silly. Let the developers chime in. Ebr has a few times. Its now 90% that dont understand it, before it was 98%. Maybe next time ebr will say only 80% dont understand. The point is really treat people as humans and dont choose your opinion as defacto. Have an open mind. Discuss.

Deathsquirrel

Once again, there is nothing "dangerous" about it.

It's dangerous in that it will break playback for some users that don't understand it and generate support issues that are otherwise unnecessary.  That is the result of adding a feature that runs contrary to the design of the product which is requested to solve an issue for which there almost certainly is a solution that doesn't have these complications.

If the server is not direct playing when it should they can fix that instead of doing this.

This is why when I'm training my team on how to process feature requests we spend a lot of time on understanding the driving need instead of focusing on the requested change.  The end users of any product don't necessarily understand the design goals or other factors that go into building a product.  When they ask for a change that helps them they don't always see how it impacts other users.  When I can bring feature requests to the product team at my company in the form of 'we need to solve this problem, here is what they customer thinks should be done' we get a lot more qualified yeses than when it's in the form of 'change x to ' or 'add a button that does z'.

The devs have already said they are REALLY reluctant to make the change requested in the OP.  If there is an underlying issue like clients not correctly being identified as capable of direct playback that can most likely be fixed.  Certainly both EBR and Luke have said so in this thread and have done so in the past.

Its like a game of ping pong with you. You _are_ "that guy". For a second, stop thinking about yourself, about developers, about anything. There is but 1 question here..

How can you make it play a file without transcoding when it chooses to transcode?

Simple, eloquent, epitomy of beauty. I am not asking for reasons why it isnt there. Answering in that way is trying to side track the question. Its easy to answer. Try answering the question this time. Ebr has, but also avoided the question.

Heres where instead of quoting the devs like you do. I just take their answer for what it was. They never said they would not add this option. So not sure where you got that from. They said at this time its not worth confusing new users with. A counter was made to address that. Still the question was never really answered.

Keeping in mind, you are just now aruging for the sake of argument we should maybe stop adding to the length of this post? It is a constant reminder. A little bird in your ear when you see this you just have to post? Its funny, but then so do I. Lol. So touche and an et tu brtue. I raise you 3.50 and call.

Deathsquirrel

How can you make it play a file without transcoding when it chooses to transcode?

Short answer is you can't but if you report the bug the devs can.

From my experience, it's helpful to provide a ffprobe output of the file, a transcode log, and the version info on the server and client products in use.  If the client is a web browser throw in the browser version.

You can. The client can lie to the server. And access the media path directly. The server will still try to serve a transcoded stream. But the client will refuse it. The server then kills its transcoding stream cuz the client obviously dont want it.

This was done maybe to break my blue neon client, but it didnt work..neener neener [emoji14]

The client happily directstreams just fine. This is how I do it when "forcing". It would be nicer if the server directly controlled this.

It is a limitation. Emby is crippled in this way. There isnt really much more to say until the right eyes see this thread and take it to heart. They dont feel that emotional connection with their users. Some say they are out of touch. It doesnt have to be this way. Ya dig?

Edited by speechles

Jhyrachy

Just a question,

since Emby server is open source (isn't it?) why we do not just fork the code cutting out all the trascoding part?

• Like 1

Because forking is an option of last resort. It requires a non-trivial investment of time to figure out the ins and outs of the code to be able to maintain it, and for the fork to have a long term future requires a critical mass of long term interested developers (which means some number greater than 0). OTOH, forking would spell danger for the project because once you have gone that far, there is very little stopping you from making the premium features also freely available in the fork.

For now, I'm reasonably happy with my ffmpeg wrapper script that neuters any and all transcoding when invoked by the emby user. It's a horrible bodge, but it works for me.

Edited by gordan

Jhyrachy

Because forking is an option of last resort. It requires a non-trivial investment of time to figure out the ins and outs of the code to be able to maintain it, and for the fork to have a long term future requires a critical mass of long term interested developers (which means some number greater than 0). OTOH, forking would spell danger for the project because once you have gone that far, there is very little stopping you from making the premium features also freely available in the fork.

For now, I'm reasonably happy with my ffmpeg wrapper script that neuters any and all transcoding when invoked by the emby user. It's a horrible bodge, but it works for me.

Oh, ok.

Btw, i know i'm a noob, but could you made a detailed guide about how utilize your wrapper?