Support H.264 recordings w/ HDTC-2US (HDHomeRun EXTEND) in ServerWMC?

LehighBri

LehighBri

I have a HDTC-2US (HDHomeRun EXTEND) using ServerWMC as my DVR and a Roku 2 as my client.  My HDHomeRun is setup w/ "heavy" as the default transcode profile (which in theory should record to H.264/AVC format instead of MPEG-2).

The Roku only supports certain video types natively, and for all others (like MPEG-2 that comes out of my WMC recordings), Emby transcodes the recordings.  Can anything be done to allow recordings to be captured in a native format that the Roku supports in a Direct Play manner (e.g. H.264 MP4 for example) that taps into the native capabilities of the HDHomeRun Extend?

Until then, my less than ideal workaround is I use MCE Buddy to convert every recording into MP4 format... and then I import that MP4 format into Emby as a library, and then playback of those files works great.  But I'd rather skip that step and just have ServerWMC support it somehow (if possible??).

Thoughts on whether this is something that can be done in ServerWMC (and if not, if there are other alternative options)?

Edited by LehighBri

krustyreturns

This is really down to how the wmc recording service interacts with your tuner when it produces the wtv files - serverwmc is not involved in this.  I don't know how the 'extend' works, but if you can't force the tuner to transode to mp4 when it is being used to create a wtv file, then its not possible.

LehighBri

This is really down to how the wmc recording service interacts with your tuner when it produces the wtv files - serverwmc is not involved in this.  I don't know how the 'extend' works, but if you can't force the tuner to transode to mp4 when it is being used to create a wtv file, then its not possible.

That's what I've come to realize.  I'm hopeful that Emby's DVR service will continue to enhance and will support transcoding natively so that I can move away from WMC.  Until then, I'l continue to use WMC/serverwmc along with MCEbuddy to convert all my WTV files to MP4 files that the Roku can direct play.

krustyreturns

Sounds like a plan.  Strange that you can't purchase an mpeg2 codec on the roku.