Photos 'squashed' & not rotated

johnhb

Hi - not sure if this is the best place for this, but I guess it's server related.

Photos look pretty (very) bad via the web browser/apps - squashed into square aspect ratio and exif data doesn't appear to be honoured for simple non-destructive rotate. I've seen several posts regarding rotate dating back months (years?) - will this ever be implemented?

The squashing issue ought to be an easy fix? just centre instead of stretch/squash? I know this means the edges will be cut off, but for preview purposes it's no big deal and it would look so much better. In fact this would be a better global option for all artwork? For example I have movie covers that aren't quite the right aspect ration and they also get squashed/stretched and look pretty bad.

• 1 year later...
happpyg

Sorry to bump an old thread.  I have just installed a brand new instance of Emby 3.2.19, added a test photo folder and it is not honouring the exif rotation data.  My existing install which has been upgraded to 3.2.19 does work fine with the same test photos?  

@@Luke, am I missing something?

happpyg

Thanks Luke!

Thanks for the fix in 3.2.10 @@Luke  however since that update thumbnail generation is now extremely slow for new photos.  I tested with blank installs of 3.2.17 up to 3.2.20 dropping in the same set of new pics and watching it generate the thumbnails.

3.2.17 : All normal, exif rotation obeyed and thumbnail generation in "Latest Home Vidoes & Photos" on the home screen very fast as well as thumbnail generation in the Home Videos and Folders section.  Clicking on photo thumbnails loaded the full size picture very fast and can move left/right to other photos quickly.

3.2.18 & 3.2.19 : Still fast like .17 but exif rotation not obeyed

3.2.20: exif rotation now obeyed but thumbnails at "Latest...." takes 40+ seconds to generate and then clicking on the Home Videos & Photos icon takes another 90 seconds to generate these thumbnails.  Clicking on a thumbnail takes a very long time to load the full size pic.  

All tests done with the same set of 20 photos averaging 7mb in size each.  Once thumbnails have been generated everything is nice and fast again.

I also had some weird issues where the original test clean 3.2.19 install with the photos orientated wrong was upgraded to 3.2.20 chrome still seemed to keep the old incorrectly rotated thumbnails even though I cleaned out Chromes cache and performed a refresh ticking replace existing images.  IE and Firefox didn't seem to have the same issue and worked correctly?  This is probably something on my end or with Chrome I am guessing and will investigate more later.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. We'll look at the performance for the next release. 

• 2 weeks later...
happpyg

@@Luke - any luck with this?  I add photos regularly and myself and family usually use Emby to view them, the photos side of Emby is almost unworkable now since the photo provider change, adding 50+ photos takes 3-5 minutes to generate thumbnails then that again to view them, even on a high powered VM hosted off a Dual Xeon server. :(  Previously it was much faster, 20-30 seconds to do the same.

Thanks!

The rotation has been resolved. We'll look at the performance of it in a future update. Thanks !

I would not suggest it. There have been database changes along the way. The older versions will not be able to understand the changes made by newer versions.

happpyg

Ok thanks Luke, this was working well and is now broken so I have moved back to Plex for photo viewing as it is something me and my family use a lot, hopefully a fix soon.

Edit: @@Luke - The thumbnail that is generated for the Home Videos and Photos (or just Photos) button on the home screen has incorrectly orientated photos in it too after the update, tested on a brand new install :(

Edit#2 - Luke I have also found that if there is a movie file in the same folder as the photos you are adding and it is alphabetically at the start of the file list, when you click on a photo in a library of type "Photos" or "Home Videos and Photos" it will play that video instead of opening the picture you clicked on.   Also seeing aspect ratio/squashed or cropped thumbnails as per OP, not sure what the norm is with the new photo provider?  Thumbnail issue as explained above also happens to folders nested inside the root folder but only for "Photos" library types, HV&P just uses plain coloured thumbnails? 

Cheers

Edited by happpyg

happpyg

Any luck with this yet @@Luke?  Not sure how far away a "future update" is but this was working well and has been broken by a change.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hi @@Luke, bit of an old thread but noticing that thumbnails for folder icons in photo albums are still not being rotated correctly, tested again today with a fresh 3.5.3 install.  Performance however is fine now. 

This is just the thumbnail overlays for folder level icons in photo albums at all folder levels as well as the "Latest Home Videos and Photos" on the home screen.  Once I go into the folder to see the actual pictures they are all rotated correctly although sometimes cropped, see screenshots below.  The stretching/cropping still seems to be an issue too when looking at the actual picture thumbnails depending on whether the thumbnails are portrait or landscape, not sure how that is determined, some are portrait, some are landscape and some are square?

I'd also be keen to know if/when these thumbnails are regenerated if ever or is it a once off when you first add photos to a folder?

Folder thumbnails:

5badc39420964_Rotation1.png

5badc3c80967a_Rotation2.png

Correct rotation when looking at the same photos, example of square thumbnails.  Sometimes I see portrait, sometimes landscape, not sure why:

5badc3f5f01cc_Rotation3.png

Thanks!

Aaron

Thumbnails of folders currently do not get rotated. It is something we'll look at improving in a future release. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
happpyg

Hi @@Luke, touching an old thread again, still patiently waiting, any progress on this?

I have found one other issue too:

- If a .MOV file exists with the same name as a .JPG file in a folder Emby will use the .JPG for the thumbnail but when you click on the thumbnail it will bring up the movie details.  Clicking Play will play the correct movie.  The two files are grouped together as one thumbnail/item instead of two separate ones.

Existing long standing issue:

- Exif Rotation data does seem to be obeyed correctly once you get to a folder containing pictures after a fix a while back but the Main screen showing "Latest Home videos & photos" as well as thumbnails for sub folders still show thumbnail images that are not obeying EXIF rotation data.

Thanks!

happpyg

Sure, thanks Luke!  

Brand new 4.0.1.0 test server with test photos, I took a few pics of the same arrow rotating the camera, all arrows should be pointing up if EXIF rotation is obeyed.

Home Screen, thumbnail here is taken from a picture "test2.jpg" where another file "test2.mov" exists in the same folder, also icon shows it as a movie and isn't rotated correctly, 

5c53fc139f2e0_1Medium.png

Drill into "Home videos & photos" - folder thumbnails sometimes don't rotate photos correctly - not sure how Emby selects which photos to use as thumbnails for this?  In this case only the 2016 folder but my live server has many more not rotated correctly like screenshots earlier in this thread.

5c53fc9f347ee_2Medium.png

Drill into folder "Test1" which contains pictures and a .MOV with the same name as a .JPG.  The item "test1" below has the thumbnail from test1.jpg but when you click on it it shows the movie details for test1.mov also in this same folder.  Folder contents screenshot below

5c53fd1649464_3Medium.png

Result of clicking on "test1" thumbnail, shows movie details and even the thumbnail here is from the test1.jpg, not test1.mov

5c53fe1f26d37_5.png

Files in this "Test1" folder

5c53fd61061bc_4.png

Thanks again!

Drill into folder "Test1" which contains pictures and a .MOV with the same name as a .JPG.  The item "test1" below has the thumbnail from test1.jpg but when you click on it it shows the movie details for test1.mov also in this same folder.

This is by design because that is the naming convention for the image of that video.

happpyg

This is by design because that is the naming convention for the image of that video.

So if an example folder contains only 2 files, test1.mov and test1.jpg Emby will only show one item in that folder not the two separate items each with their own thumbnail?  If Emby encounters a .jpg file with the same name of a .mov file does it will use that .jpg for the thumbnail instead of splitting them up and getting a thumbnail from the actual .mov file like it does if the .mov is a uniquely named file? 

I could understand that behavior in a movie/video library but not in a dedicated photo and video library where it is possible they have the same name? 

This happens a bit with picture libraries where for example the iPhone takes a .jpg and also a short movie clip which has the same name - I sometimes keep these.  Other examples may be scenarios where i'm combining photos and videos taken from different devices that share the IMG_XXXX naming convention into the same folder.  Admittedly it is rare with 9999 combinations but i do have a few times this has happened in larger folders and I don't catch it because Windows explorer sees them as separate items, it's not until I go to view them in Emby and I am missing those item(s).

Any ideas on the rotation issues?

I know these are probably really small issues in the big scheme of things but the rotation issue in particular has been on the to do list for a long time now and I think handling duplicate names like this would be different in a photos & videos combined library type vs dedicated movie only library type?

Thanks Luke!

• 3 weeks later...

@@happpyg, there have been a lot of improvements related to orientation. I think this is the last one left that needs looking at - when the image is the thumbnail of a video. Thanks.

happpyg

Thanks @@Luke, I agree, being able to have an image and video with the same name as separate items in photo libraries (I understand this is different for Video/TV Series etc) and fixing orientation of folder thumbnails will finish this off nicely!  

The only other thing I've seen in another thread would be the ability to use the phones native sharing abilities (email/message/airdrop etc) or at least save to camera roll - this would top it off nicely!

Thanks again!