WMC Windows 8.1 LAV problems

RCCola

LAV filters worked great with Windows media center 8 however I have upgraded to windows 8.1 and can no longer get LAV filters to work with Windows Media Center.  Most of my movies are in ts file format so Media Browser Theater is not yet a solution for me (hopefully ts files will be fully supported soon).  Currently DVD menu's, skip to scene, fast forward, etc. don't seem to work with ts files.  I can play the movie and pause and that is about it.  MKV's however seem to work quite well with Media Browser Theater.

I would like to continue to use Media Browser Classic with windows media center.

Has anyone been successfull at getting LAV filters to work with Windows Media Center 8.1?

If you did how did you do it?

I already reinstalled my OS 2 times to see if I could get this to work, it however failed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am running win 8.1 and Lav and all is working fine.All I did was update windows and then installed Lav and it worked right out of the box

Have you got the latest Lav installed,I think they are currently version .59

If you can detail your problems a little more,we can have a look and see if we can get them to work.

Yes, I have LAV .59, I did a fresh install (reset) of Windows 8.1 and installed all available updates.  After I did this I installed Media Center from the add features section of Win 8.1.  After I got Media Center working I installed LAV filters.

When I open media center in a window so I can see the task bar if I play a movie the LAV filters are not shown in the task bar.  In LAV filter set up I choose the option to have them show in the task bar, they however do not show up.  I also tried using Win7DSFilterTweaker to get them to work and this did not do it.

Logos302

Silly question did you go to windows update again after you install media center?  There are some "major" updates that fix a lot of compatibility problems with Media Center.

I used to have Shark with Win 8, after I saw all of the complexity of using Shark, and following the recommendations here, I decided to try LAV after upgrading to WIN8.1

The way I installed LAV, was by installing MBT and then letting it do the proper thing, that has worked for me.

Thank you for the suggestions, I tried a fresh install from disc.  Still can't get it to work.  Works fine with Media Browser Theater, however icons will not show up in task bar when using windows media center or windows media center with media browser classic. 

I tried the Win7DS Filter again, still no luck.  I also tried updating the video driver for my intel HD4000 onboard video (core i3 3225), still no luck.  Anyone getting this to work with Intel Quick Sync and Media browser Classic / WMC?

• 1 month later...

Same to me here. I'd say the problem is very complex, not only lav codec related. I got 5 PCs where 8.1 and latest lav video won't work and lav don't show up in tray.

1. Old dell inspiron mini. Old single core atom, poor legacy Intel video, dedicated Broadcom HD decoder. Plays 1080p like a charm, CPU load 20% max in desktop apps like wmp and wmc, but playing video within metroUI apps including IE won't go. Switching to lav using tweaker results in 100% load and lags everywhere. Switching back to Broadcom decoder goes smoothly. I just use official Broadcom driver and haali splitter and ac3filter on this laptop since 8.1.

2. Atom 330 + ion laptop, 1080p runs smoothly with NVIDIA drivers installed via windows update. Desktop, metroUI, everything. Switching to lav using tweaker gives no changes: no tray icon, everything goes on. I just uninstalled lav back and use haali+ac3filter as case #1.

3. AMD +ion2. Everything same as case 2 except for I had to install unsigned drivers due to special hardware (acer Revo rl100). No lav filters running now.

4. Acer w700, core i5, Intel HD. Same as #2. No lav.

5. Vaio core i3 1st gen, AMD ATI don't remember. Lav never worked, even on win8.0, metroUI apps always showed black screen instead of video even in Skype, the only way to  play video was MPC-HC and vlc-like players. In windows 8.1 playing video stopped totally, even in vlc.

After all that all I can say Microsoft somehow restricted playing video using certain codecs on certain hardware letting its own built in codec go first and only. That's fine for new Intel and NVIDIA chips, but old hardware comes unusable. AMD/ATI proved again they are totally stupid when it comes to drivers (latest driver is still somewhere November '13 AFAIR) and you better ignore their hardware if not for gaming.

If anyone gets a solution how to get MS codec down and 3rd party's running instead, that would be great.

Ouch. Forgot. Everything worked fine except case 5 in win8.0 and 8.1 preview. Final 8.1 changed.

Edited by SargeT