Beta - 1080p Samsung Client

cmcg

chessdragon136

Here's the HD video - Youtube link

This is of my experience with the HD version on an H-series TV. I must admit it has gotten better, after an update has made the background image not change when navigating the 3-row view.

Here is the SD video - Youtube link

You can see that the two versions are miles apart in smoothness.

It might be my server, I dunno. It's a quad-core 4GHz i7, 16GB DDR3-3000 RAM, and it doesn't do anything but running Emby.

Thank you for creating these @Ultroman 

After watching these the HD performance is the same as mine.. 

We are trying to chuck in a lot of performance updates but at the end of the day the image data is now 4* larger than it used to be which is always going to slow it down. We'll continue to do what we are doing but as a last resort there is always the possibility of reducing the resolutions of images (maybe 20% or so) and stretching them to fit. 

Given you have tested both versions recently, do you see a noticeable difference in quality in the HD version? 

The difference in quality for me is why we're pushing it to it's limit. When I tried 720p there just wasn't much advantage. I'd still argue that, considering the images are four times the size, the improvement is less than spectacular.

That's why we should exhaust every avenue before reducing the quality.

• Like 4

chessdragon136

On the plus, image caching seems to be stable with one drawback we'll explain on release. And a multitude of other changes are being done as well :)

The only image i'm tempted to lower the res on is the background image - Personally i don't think it needs to be 1080 given its not even meant to be what you're looking at - and given that is the biggest image it may be worthwhile.  

• Like 2

FrostByte

People could set their minimum backdrop width settings to 1280x720 or even smaller and try and force the issue on their end.  Mine are all set at 1920 now.  Too bad there isn't a max size though

Edited by FrostByte

I don't think I agree with either of those options. The background image doesn't need to load in a snappy way. That would be awful in fact. We just need to take care about when we call it. Once it's on screen I don't think it's having any effect on performance.

The golden rule is to ensure only one change is taking place at a time. If you look at the spinning DVD animation, it's only smooth if the background change has finished already.

• Like 3

FrostByte

Agree with cmcg.  Don't make a bunch of drastic changes right away. 

BTW: what do you guys do if an image is > 1920, do you resize it down before displaying it or do you let the TV somehow try and handle it and decrease it?  I've noticed a bunch of my backdrops for newer movies have SUHD resolutions

mcpllabelle

Any word on enabling Cinema Mode on the App, I have it enabled in my server and it works fine with the Android app and the WEB but won't play 2 trailers before the main feature on the Samsung Client.

Any fixes for that?

FrostByte

BTW: what do you guys do if an image is > 1920, do you resize it down before displaying it or do you let the TV somehow try and handle it and decrease it?  I've noticed a bunch of my backdrops for newer movies have SUHD resolutions

NM, I'm looking at the code now

Ultroman

The title-images (primary) are all 1000x1500. Isn't that completely ridiculous? Does the server scale them down to the requested size before sending them to the TV?

Ultroman

Given you have tested both versions recently, do you see a noticeable difference in quality in the HD version?

Noticable, definitely! Worth choppy navigation, no. Stupid, slow TV.

NM, I'm looking at the code now

It never used to be an issue as the resolution was so low. The HD version deals with it by stretching what's its got.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Thanks, I've got a bunch that are 3840×2160 from tmdb lately.  I assume it's shrinking as well as stretching looking at the code

Ultroman

The server should provide a scaled version, from an image-url with width/height/stretchallowed/maxwidth/maxheight parameters, and cache each scaled version of each image. That would make a huge difference. Costly in space, but most servers have space.

It should not be up to the frontend to do image-manipulation.

Edited by Ultroman

chessdragon136

@@Ultroman -> I only meant in the quality of the images, not the app performance 

@@FrostByte -> The App requests the images with a maximum height & width. The server scales the images to these settings before serving it to the app, and these are cached serverside so it doesnt have to do this every time. The app doesnt resize massive images to small ones. 

As for the backdrop, it isn't about when its loaded but memory usage / cpu usage of the tv. Removal of the random backdrop image has definitely increased speed (as reported by ultroman)

But between cmcg and myself we have a plan on all of this - I'm only making suggestions, and the background image i doubt anyone would notice the difference and it is a potential saving to consider in the future. 

And finally, I won't work on or support cinema mode for my own reasons

My worthless 2 cents 

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 1

Ultroman

You deserve a lot more than that, chess. But a lifetime premium subscription would be a great start.

I do notice that the images have greater detail. Titles which were difficult to make out before, are clear now. But it didn't really bother me. You kinda get to know the images, and it is maybe 2-4% of them that benefit noticably from the larger resolution. Most noticeable are the background images. I completely agree with you, that it is no loss that they don't change while on the row-views. That change alone is making me reconsider the HD-version.

Edited by Ultroman

FrostByte

I wouldn't wrack my brain too much about it, just make some tweaks and then leave it to the users to decide SD or HD.   The most important thing should be playback of files, for the most part it does that for me without a problem. 

BTW: I would gladly make another donation so you guys can purchase yourselves a lifetime membership ;)

• Like 1

mcpllabelle

That's a fair shout @@mcpllabelle

We try to support the features available from the sever but I can't pretend we're there yet.

So what's up? Any idea whats happening that is keeping that feature from functioning?

Would really like to see it work! :D:P

If anything that feature should work on TV's and not just Mobile /Web clients.

Cheers!

Ultroman

The most important thing should be playback of files, for the most part it does that for me without a problem. 

Yeah, for the most part. I'm having loads of problems with not being able to fast-forward in several files. With some files it just doesn't react to FF/RW-button presses, and with others it looks like it's doing it, but then it just resumes where I was, but the audio is out of sync. Some files I can't pause at all. It might be, that there is some small problem introduced when the files were encoded, but it doesn't show up in any other players, and not even in the other Emby-clients. I guess the Samsung player is just picky.

SilentAssassin

Its hard to tell from a video of performance as you don't know when a button on the remote was pressed until the app responds to it, but the performance on my H6400's is very similar to @@Ultroman. If anything since 2.1.0a with the change to the highlight it seemed to get a bit worse. Its useable in the most part and I'm not going back to SD. I agree with @chessdragon136 that a 720p backdrop could be OK, especially if it did make a noticeable difference to performance.

• Like 1

CBers

Its hard to tell from a video of performance as you don't know when a button on the remote was pressed

You can hear the button presses in the video.

• Like 1

Ultroman

If anything since 2.1.0a with the change to the highlight it seemed to get a bit worse.

I agree. It's like I can see the CSS being applied in steps. I don't think this new way of highlighting is obvious enough. I really liked the white border. It looked awesome.