Beta - 1080p Samsung Client

cmcg

Ultroman

Isn't the latest version much more fluid on you device?

Sorry, guys. It's still kinda slow on mine. It takes 1,5-2 seconds for it to find and show the background image for the item I've highlighted. And while it's doing that, I can't navigate to another one. If I don't stop for more than about 400ms on an item, I can navigate fine, because it isn't loading new backgrounds until I stop at one.

Also, it really bothers me that it reloads all the images for all the items on the three rows, when I switch one row down. It shouldn't have to reload the two rows it has already loaded.

It looks like I'll be switching back to the SD version for good.

chessdragon136

Sorry, guys. It's still kinda slow on mine. It takes 1,5-2 seconds for it to find and show the background image for the item I've highlighted. And while it's doing that, I can't navigate to another one. If I don't stop for more than about 400ms on an item, I can navigate fine, because it isn't loading new backgrounds until I stop at one.

Also, it really bothers me that it reloads all the images for all the items on the three rows, when I switch one row down. It shouldn't have to reload the two rows it has already loaded.

It looks like I'll be switching back to the SD version for good.

Just to say that I have a H series TV and tomorrow I plan to load the new app fresh and try it for myself. 

If its not as quick as i hope I'll look to see what changes can be made. Caching images is almost impossible but maybe we can render the images down to 720p and upscale on the tv? I don't know. 

• Like 2

Ultroman

In addition, everything is moving really choppily. Things like the fading between background images or opening the left menu. In the SD app, the choppiness is very noticable, but in the HD app, instead of being choppy, it almost skips the fades completely, it's that choppy.

I've disabled everything on my TV, including the virus detection and anything that would run in the background. It seems to have helped in the native menus, but there's no change in Emby.

I have yet to find out if my TV can handle 1000mbps ethernet. If it can, and it works for you guys, then I have to upgrade all my switches to 1000mbps and hope for the best.

I just don't get how a quad-core TV can't handle showing a bit of javascript and images.

chessdragon136

That does sound really weird - I'll report back what my experience is like tomorrow but my D series doesnt sound as bad as yours (was slow but not painful, maybe i was more forgiving) 

I think it is only 100mb

• Like 1

CBers

Any chance of getting this added to the Server Settings page also? Thanks

Why? We don't want an option to change an option already set in the server.

FrostByte

Every setting on that page is something you can change on the Server.  That way you can switch it in the app and not have to go to the server.  Just thought it would fit, but not really necessary I guess

I tend to agree with Frost on this one. I'd like to provide access to those settings in the client.

chessdragon136

The option is the server setting - All the Server Settings are changing the values on the server (so it replicates over all clients) and are not duplicates for this client only. 

• Like 1

Marc Morisse

OK, can it's default be that it matches the server-side setting then?

CBers suggestion would accommodate both points of view:

- User server settings by default (for all clients)

- Still allows Samsung client to have its own specific setting (client specific)

To be honest, didn't check, but this should be the way to go for *any* setting that exist in Samsung client in addition to server settings

(sorry, just found how to quote!)

Edited by Marc Morisse
  • Like 1

chessdragon136

It will match the server side :) Basically it will load whatever the server setting is and use that, all the option will do is to allow you to change it from the client as opposed to having to use the web interface to do it.

FrostByte

CBers suggestion would accommodate both points of view:

- User server settings by default (for all clients)

- Still allows Samsung client to have its own specific setting (client specific)

To be honest, didn't check, but this should be the way to go for *any* setting that exist in Samsung client in addition to server settings

(sorry, just found how to quote!)

I think you guys are misunderstanding what that page does.  Whatever is on the screen on your tv is a mirror of what's on your server.  If you change it on your server, it changes the setting on your tv.  If you change it on the tv then it also changes it on the server.  Having it on that page only makes it easy to change it back and forth without having to get up and change it on your server.

CBers

So what's the point of duplicating the setting if it changes the setting on the server, affecting all other clients ??

In other words, just use the server setting.

Or, have the setting in the app that does NOT change the server side setting.

FrostByte

So you can change it on the fly ;)  Most people like you I assume won't change it often.  In my case I usually have it set not to show already seen movies in latest, but I can see a time when I may want to change that real quick once in awhile if I want to rewatch something.

I guess it's a personal thing, but all movies are still in the ALL list.

I think that's why they're called preferences.

• Like 1

CBers

I think that's why they're called preferences.

Yes, but settings on the TV should only be for overriding the server settings, not changing the server settings.

:)

• Like 1

FrostByte

That page though is for settings which honor your server settings.  If you want a setting which just effects playback on the TV then it should be on the TV or User settings page

Edited by FrostByte

The way that the Server Settings page works has not changed. Go play with it. It just allows people to know what options they have and access them without arse and sofa parting company.

Sorry for asking this noob question... but what is the difference between the 720p and 1080p version? Is it just the GUI resolution? 

FrostByte

Correct.  Currently there is no 720p version (though there is/was talk of it).  Currently there is a SD (540p) and the HD version is 1080p.  When people talk about 1080 version they are just referring to the resolution of the metadata (backdrop, poster, thumb, etc) and icon images you see within the app itself.  Has nothing to do with the playback as that will be the resolution of the file as streamed from the server

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 2

Show missing icon on the home page.

Fixed: Hang when pressing play on missing items on the home page.

Settings page style updated.

Player tools menu style updated.

Fixed: Italic subtitle size set incorrectly.

Fixed a few of your bug reports here and improved some of the UI. I think we'll drop the beta tag. 2.x is no less stable than 1.x.

We'll move 2.x to the stable thread soon, but I'd quite like to still offer the 1.x version for D series users. Does anyone have a webserver with a (reasonably) static IP address that it could live on?

Still looking for a webserver? I've got one with a static IP that I can host things.

• Like 2