Beta - 1080p Samsung Client

cmcg

FrostByte

Doh!!, I see it listed at the bottum of the screen now.  Wasn't in the help page so that's why I asked.

Edit: works nice though.  Missed that function when it was taken away

Edited by FrostByte

CBers

2.1.0d

Had to configure all the settings again with this release. Please can you state this in future releases where applicable.

Still working through the app, so will reply if I find anything awry :)

Marc Morisse

A: I sort of agree but we need to strike a balance and support people's choice of cover art effects. So drawing a box around the image is an idea we need to move away from.

B: 2.1.0d will be much better.

C: E I'm afraid. We'll see what we can do to detect evo kits. It could go in TV settings under "Model Year Override" I suppose.

Just installed and checked 2.1.0d, results and additional comments are:

a. New Selection Effect:

I guess it is impossible to make all happy with one effect. New Dim effect might be preferred for people using Cover Art effects, but old border effect was definitely better for anyone else (well at least me!). Judging by the number of contrasted comments in favor or against the new dim effect, why not making this an option then everybody will be happy? Or if you do not want to have another option or better, to choose perfect option by default:

- If Cover Art used: Dim effect by default

- If Cover Art not used: Border effect by default

b. Performance:

2.1.0d is exactly the same slowness as 2.1.0c (1s to 1.5s delay just to display a full page or posters or even a logo), while I never noticed that problem on 2.0.7. Could this be related to incorrect model detection. Was this or anything else related to model, added between 2.0.7 and 2.1.0? If you have no clue, I will re-install 2.0.7 from Github to compare 100%.

c. Model detection:

I checked the logs and my 55UE7000 with SK-2000 is definitely detected as "E" while it should be "H"

d. Do not run as develop user:

Maybe I missed in instructions since I followed the "H" installation instructions, but I finally found out why the very first time I would run Emby after installation, it would always crash. It just doesn't run if user is "develop". This time, I went back to my standard user before running and all went fine the very first time. Again, I might have missed this in the installation instructions, otherwise it should definitely be added, and for all models, since in my case I have to follow "H" instructions while it will run as "E" model anyway.

e. Server IP selection screen:

So many times I tried connecting to server before typing all IP address and just found out why:

- Standard Samsung I/F: You must press OK to go to next IP address field (xxx.yyy.zzz.www)

- Emby I/F: You must press

key to go to next IP address field

This is confusing and probably why I keep on hitting OK before having completed all fields!

I would definitely suggest to use same standard as Samsung I/F: Highlight current field and use OK to move to next one

f. Crash in Music (Album artist view)

While navigating in Musing Album Artist view, I started to have the old bug that the entire screen shifts up with black bar at the bottom. Except that it totally crashed Emby and my TV, so I had to switch OFF/ON. It is probably because you just redesigned the Music views, so I will wait for general bug fixing. If not, let me know and I will try to give you exact repro steps.

g. Trailers:

I am an Emby donator and have the trailer (or Cinema mode) enabled.

In Samsung Client, some movies display the "Play Trailer" option, some not, and I cannot find a logic in this.

Same movie without trailer in Samsung client, shows a trailer on Web client!

Is this decided by server, or could it be a bug in Samsung Client? What is the logic of showing the "Play trailer" option or not?

Marc

Ultroman

OMG!!!

Enable fast forward and rewind while transcoding.

Local image caching.

Fixed: Transcoded playback not resuming at the correct place.

What kind of magic potion did you guys drink, to make these things work?!?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• Like 2

Marc Morisse

Stupid question, but for the sake of testing the performance issues I am having between 2.0.7 and 2.1.0c or d:

Downloaded 2.0.7 from Github, but how to install on the Samsung TV?

Edited by Marc Morisse

Ultroman

e. Server IP selection screen:

So many times I tried connecting to server before typing all IP address and just found out why:

- Standard Samsung I/F: You must press OK to go to next IP address field (xxx.yyy.zzz.www)

- Emby I/F: You must press

key to go to next IP address field

This is confusing and probably why I keep on hitting OK before having completed all fields!

I would definitely suggest to use same standard as Samsung I/F: Highlight current field and use OK to move to next one

I do the same thing too often. But TBH, the Samsung I/F is doing it wrong. You can't go back, if you typed the wrong number in one of the fields. Then you have to type the rest, and start over.

I'm not sure what I want here...

Edited by Ultroman

Marc Morisse

Other comment on new "Next Category" function (Yellow Key):

This is brilliant, thanks guys, but:

- What is the meaning when using "LATEST" view? It jumped for me from R to S to W to # and then back to R

- In "ALL" view, perfectly jumping from A to B to C ... till Z, but then to go back to the top line where I can choose the view, I had to manually scroll back up through hundreds of movies!!!

Do I miss something, or how about using "D" key to directly jump to the top line where I can choose the view (sorry I do not know the name of that menu)

Marc Morisse

I do the same thing too often. But TBH, the Samsung I/F is doing it wrong. You can't go back, if you typed the wrong number in one of the fields. Then you have to type the rest, and start over.

I'm not sure what I want here...

LOL, could well be, but right or wrong, since Emby cannot correct the Samsung I/F, it would make more sense to me to adopt it and be consistently... wrong ;-)

• Like 1

Ultroman

I almost can't contain myself!

The image caching is working flawlessly :D This is BRILLIANT! Such a smooth experience now.

And both the dimming and the selected-size are spot on! This is fantastic work, guys!

If the FF/RW when transcoding is working as well as those things, then I'm almost all out of wishes!

Small bug I encountered:

Just after installing, and while still on the develop account, I started Emby, and EVERYTHING was transparent...something like 20% visible. Everything but the background.

I exited, went to my real user account, started Emby, and the problem was gone.

Just wanted to let you know.

Other comment on new "Next Category" function (Yellow Key):

This is brilliant, thanks guys, but:

- What is the meaning when using "LATEST" view? It jumped for me from R to S to W to # and then back to R

- In "ALL" view, perfectly jumping from A to B to C ... till Z, but then to go back to the top line where I can choose the view, I had to manually scroll back up through hundreds of movies!!!

Do I miss something, or how about using "D" key to directly jump to the top line where I can choose the view (sorry I do not know the name of that menu)

Indexing needs to be disabled in the Latest view since it is not sorted alphabetically so the movement would be random. Thanks.

Yes, I would like a way to jump back to the top.

Edited by cmcg
  • Like 1

I almost can't contain myself!

If the FF/RW when transcoding is working as well as those things, then I'm almost all out of wishes!

It won't be as instant as with direct play but it should work.

• Like 2

FrostByte

The quickest way I found for now to get back to the top is to just move left to the menu and hit movies again

• Like 1

fluffykiwi

I am absolutely loving this update.

Instead of dimming it now looks like you are highlighting the current selection. Plus it works on first load for default user.

Next Index is so useful. I love the display of the letter with fades.

Caching is working great making everything so smooth AND I had no speed issues previously.

Default Music View and skip Music A-Z thank you. The tiny pause in loading my full Album collection is well worth being straight into my music.

Plus making it optional if your collection is huge... Great idea.

I have about 900 albums and the loading pause without A-Z is a second or less in Album view... :D With about 1500 items it was about 5 seconds, so great that it is optional.

The transcoding fixes. Great work.

Rounded corners on screenshots but not on covers look great.

Any chance of a Latest option within Music views, the same as we have for videos?

It would also be nice if Artist and Album title were both shown at bottom of Album view. If space was an issue, which I don't think it is, I'm not sure Genre needs to be displayed so prominently, although I do like it shown, especially as a splash of coloured text.

Within the Album Artist screens the "Albums by <Artist>" line could possibly be improved my using white text instead of grey. It currently looks very dim compared to rest of screen.

Edited by fluffykiwi
  • Like 2

Had to configure all the settings again with this release. Please can you state this in future releases where applicable.

So just throwing this out there.  Do we really think it is necessary to forceDeleteSettings when a new setting is added or changed?

If an new setting is added, it looks like the app retrieves the default for that setting.  If a setting name is changed, then this should behave just like an added setting (or this could be a handled case if you really wanted to convert the old property to the new name ).  A deleted setting would just take up space in the setting file, but should not affect performance (it could be forcefully removed if really necessary).  I suspect the only case that would need some care would be if a valid property value becomes invalid, but this could easily be checked and handled when read.

There may be a very rare instance where the settings file must be deleted, but I expect that should be rare.  Maybe a change in the file structure may cause this.  I suspect this would be a complex (and rare) case that would not be worth trying to handle.

For 2.1.0.d, I set forceDeleteSettings to false before installing, and it appears to have loaded and runs just fine.  The new settings have picked up valid defaults.

If you decide to go down this path, you may want to consider a 'Reset to defaults' for each setting page just to be nice.

• Like 1

On the E-Series (without an Evolution Kit - if only I could still get my hands on one :angry:), the screen fades (splashscreen, user screen, etc) look really jaggered and not good.  Once or twice I though it had crashed, but realised what was going on.

Unless these can be improved, maybe it would be worth omitting fades for E-Series.

@@SamES My use of the forceDeleteSettings flag has probably been too cautious. I'll try that cut back. Do you have the same performance issue with background transitions? It could be that I can isolate it. Often things are ok if they happen one at a time.

@@fluffykiwi I'm really glad you like it. I'd been desperate to get this release out as I think it's far and away the best yet. Working together with @chessdragon is a real bonus for this project, but merging our code was a bitch! A couple of excellent suggestions at the bottom there. I'll see what I can do.

• Like 2

CBers

As I page down through my 500 movies and 75 TV shows, the pages are taking around 5 seconds to load the images.

Is this expected?

Running on my F8000 TV.

CBers

Do we need Media Folders at the top of the home screen, if it's also in the menu?

Unless they are functionally different.

shorty1483

As I page down through my 500 movies and 75 TV shows, the pages are taking around 5 seconds to load the images.

Is this expected?

Running on my F8000 TV.

On H-Series it's running pretty fast :(

• Like 1

FrostByte

On my H-series it's really fast once you've cached the images.  The first time through it's really not that bad though and what I would expect when streaming a bunch of new HD images all at once.

• Like 1

CBers

On my H-series it's really fast once you've cached the images. The first time through it's really not that bad though and what I would expect when streaming a bunch of new HD images all at once.

It's fast once they're loaded, but the images are reloaded every time you start the app.

Ultroman

Do we need Media Folders at the top of the home screen, if it's also in the menu?

Unless they are functionally different.

I use that shortcut all the time. I don't like having to enter a menu just to get to my folders.

CBers

I use that shortcut all the time. I don't like having to enter a menu just to get to my folders.

Ok then, do we need it in the menu if it's also at the top of the home screen?

• Like 1