Beta - 1080p Samsung Client

cmcg

FrostByte

Well, I think the plugin can actually.  I think there is an option in the plugin to stretch the CA to fit the poster vs the default where the poster is shrunk to fit the CA and then you can have square metro style corners which eliminates the black in the rounded corners (though it loses its BD case look then)  I guess we will just have to see what they come up with.  If they decide to go back to the old white border then I will just try and get the CA to work with it some how or do without the plugin

Ultroman

Couldn't the plugin just make the black corners see-through instead of black? Seems very limiting to force a huge border and black corners.

If that happened, they could be scaled up to poster-size, retaining their bluray case look, and then we could have a white border with rounded edges on it.

Edited by Ultroman

FrostByte

The black might be the app though because the borders look transparent in the webclient.  Even if it were transparent in the app though you would still have a transparent area and then the white border the way it was setup in that pic

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Ultroman

But...if you're saying that CA can produce two different outputs, and the guys are accommodating the one you're using (the smaller ones), does that mean that the big CA cases will get their corners cut off with the current CSS? Because then we are entering some dangerous territory. You can't accommodate three different types of posters, and keep everyone happy. Let alone two types.

Ultroman

The only thing that would look consistent, is the current setup with scaling on the selected item, without CSS-rounding on the corners of elements, and without borders at all. That is, if the transparency in CA-xases can become...well, transparent. Then they would look like cases, and posters would look like posters.

Then maybe the could do an optional transparent white ghost effect background on the selected item, like you suggested. That was a great idea. Only problem is, the transparent parts of CA-cases will have that whiteness instead. But dang it, there shouldn't be huge transparent borders on content-images! (irritated CMS back-end developer here, heheh)

FrostByte

If the black area was filled in with white it really wouldn't matter whether you use normal sized posters, small CA or stretched CA.  The only difference would be the amount of white shown.  Another option I saw mentioned was just a white area underneath.  He might surprise us though and come up with something totally new that knocks our socks off :) 

• Like 2

Ultroman

Another option I saw mentioned was just a white area underneath.

Cool, like turn-based RPGs show which character has his turn :D I think that would work.

He (they) has pulled some aces, that's for sure.

Edited by Ultroman
  • Like 1

MongooseMan

@@MongooseMan - I'm soo sorry i couldn't remember!! Has been driving me mad. But if you could make it available I would really appreciate it - I don't think the code has changed much since then in that regard. 

@@cmcg -> I dont think you can detect the evo kit. What needs to change is that there is a getVersion() method which returns the Smart Hub Version, which I assume increases with the Evo Kit. So basically instead of relying on model number the code should rely on the smart hub version / combination of both. 

No worries, code is here: https://github.com/graeme0811/MediaBrowser.SamsungUnofficial

Specifically these 3 commits:

https://github.com/graeme0811/MediaBrowser.SamsungUnofficial/commit/765411ae8a198f069b7a23df847c6d67b16ee3e6

https://github.com/graeme0811/MediaBrowser.SamsungUnofficial/commit/874c651ba26d3a65a62b7d874f2c1c175a06a98f

https://github.com/graeme0811/MediaBrowser.SamsungUnofficial/commit/9350ecc9b10afe555006f68ed14934bff290206d

Edited by MongooseMan
  • Like 1

CBers

Couldn't the plugin just make the black corners see-through instead of black? Seems very limiting to force a huge border and black corners.

If that happened, they could be scaled up to poster-size, retaining their bluray case look, and then we could have a white border with rounded edges on it.

The black might be the app though because the borders look transparent in the webclient.  Even if it were transparent in the app though you would still have a transparent area and then the white border the way it was setup in that pic

But...if you're saying that CA can produce two different outputs, and the guys are accommodating the one you're using (the smaller ones), does that mean that the big CA cases will get their corners cut off with the current CSS? Because then we are entering some dangerous territory. You can't accommodate three different types of posters, and keep everyone happy. Let alone two types.

In the Emby for Kodi addon, there is an option to disable the Cover Art images, but not sure if that would be an option in this app.

I think if the dimming was either brightened, or removed, and the in-focus item was made bigger, then wouldn't that be enough ??

I like the dimming, but it is too dimmed. If it can't be brightened any more, then remove it.

At the end of the day, we just want to see what we're selecting and play the video.

• Like 1

CBers

Has anyone actually noticed how the items in the Smart Hub are highlighted ??

No-one seems to have an issue with that.

Just a thought.

You're saying we should aim to be "as good as" the SmartHub? I think I'd set the bar slightly higher than that.

• Like 2

CBers

You're saying we should aim to be "as good as" the SmartHub? I think I'd set the bar slightly higher than that.

No, it was just an example of what we all see every day and don't even think about :)

FrostByte

It's so good you should upload it to the Samsung store and sell it.  Oh, wait...  ;)

Everything worked superb for me, the only thing that doesn't, kind of, is subtitles... They will not load on "resume" items or when you skip they break. Play video from start and do not skip they work just fine. Tried turning them on and off during playback but still no joy :-(

Yeah, I had a subtitle issue like that yesterday.

When you play that file does it say Direct Play?

If you have time, can you see if you can replicate the issue with the stable release?

fluffykiwi

Thank you for all the work being done on this, I am loving the progress being made. The 1080p upgrade is awesome.

My ideal navigation would be using dimming only when using the smart remote as a pointer, i.e. when the cursor appears the surrounding covers dim. I do not know if this is possible and it would not be high on my wishlist.

However, I hope using the pointer is implemented as this is the main feature I'd currently most like to see.

For general navigating I actually like the Smart Hub highlighting which doubles the image size, adds a white border and blue background glow.

I think the dimming is just a bit overdone in the app currently, although it does make the current selection REALLY obvious.

We have lovely televisions capable of displaying really lovely clear bright images and now only a tiny portion of the screen is ever displayed optimally. I think it is about 1/40th of the screen for music (using larger icons) and 1/20th for video.

As previously reported when I launch the app there is no dimming, but after I enter a media item then backout, it dims. This bug does makes it really easy to evaluate the dimming effect.

I do agree that without the dimming or border it was difficult to see where you were on screen, even with the current slight size increase. The increase in size would have to be much bigger if it was the only indicator and this may throw up problems with some lower resolution images.

I personally like increasing the size of the current selection as I prefer coverflows to grids generally and would be delighted if it was increased further. I'd try to find higher resolution images.

I thought rounding the corners was a nice touch. I'm currently using it to spot which items need larger images.

Edited by fluffykiwi
  • Like 2

Ultroman

I agree with fluffywiki on all points.

I have to say, the dimming is too much. Maybe the people who like it, have high contrast/brightness settings? For me, it irritates me that I can't make out some of my posters now, because they are dimmed so much.

• Like 3

FrostByte

I like the concept, but agree it's dimmed too much.  If it were dimmed a little lighter then you could make out what the other posters were more easily for browsing.  Hopefully there is a little more play into the setting before you can't tell if it's dimmed at all.

• Like 2

Ultroman

The amount of dim, should only be juuust enough for one to be sure that the selected item is NOT dimmed. Right now, the dimmed items look "disabled" to me.

• Like 3

So less dimming and balance it with a touch more zoom so the eye doesn't get lost. Look for this in the next beta.

• Like 5

This release incorporates some fantastic work from our friend @@chessdragon136 to provide in-session local image caching to speed up browsing and indexing to make it even more fantastic, along with the usual array of fixes and (hopefully) improvements from me.

2.1.0d

Local image caching.
Index feature to jump through the alphabet in long lists.
New user setting: Default Music View.
New user setting: Skip Music A-Z.
Splashscreen fades out.
Smaller user icon in the menu to make room for things to come.
Log viewer made wider to accommodate time stamps.
Item selection: Less dimming, more zooming.
Enable fast forward and rewind while transcoding.
Fixed: Return button had incorrect behaviour when returning to the Album Artist view.
Fixed: Bug in "Enable AAC Transcoding to Dolby".
Fixed: Unselected items not dimming.
Fixed: Playback time stops updating after the last subtitle.
Fixed: Transcoded playback not resuming at the correct place.

• Like 7

FrostByte

2.1.0d

Index feature to jump through the alphabet in long lists.

Is this like the old way where you click a key and it jumps to the first movie of the previous or next letter in the alphabet?  What are the keys assigned to jump forward or back?