3D Playback

n00b42

Is the playback of 3D content supported?

When I try to playback a 3D HTOB  file which is properly named and recognized in the web view (and can be played),

what should happen??

it just plays it as if it were a normal movie (but with the HTOB video)

(the menu etc is not duplicated etc, which prevents automatic 3d recognition i think)

When i manually ask my TV to "assume" HTOB it does not work, as the video is misplaced (because of borders on top and bottom)

Regards

Deathsquirrel

The only client that supports 3D without the use of an external player is the Samsung smart tv app as far as I know

And this client doesn't currently support external players.

• 4 weeks later...
boatguypat

Hi all. So i just got a Sony XBR65X900C (4K, Passive 3D, Android TV). I have installed the Emby app (as well as Kodi with emby add-on). When I run the Emby app, and play a 3D movie (the Martian for example), it IS playing in 3D, however, it is not showing up on the TV as SBS - it appears Emby (or is it the native VLC player?) is performing the mixing of the SBS into the single picture displayed. It definitely results in a 3D picture (quite good BTW). Attached a pic, where you can see the blurriness without glasses on. Interesting also, the TV does not detect a 3D picture - meaning there is no option in the Actions menu for 3D actions (3D actions are apparently only available if a 3D signal is detected. 

So Emby is great with 3D using the Android TV app. Now i have to jump over to the Kodi forum and ask why, when playing a 3D movie in Kodi, which DOES show up in the TV as SBS, the TV does not detect it and will not let me change the display to SBS (no 3D actions in the actions menu). My older Sony 3d TV has a dedicated button for 3d, so you could force it. This new TV does not. 56a118da23cc0_20160121_123604.jpg

boatguypat

Well, seems i jumped the gun on this. It is true that The Martian and Jupiter Ascending play in 3D without needed to set the TV to SBS (as described above). Other movie rips do not (The Walk, Goosebumps).I am attaching media info screen shots - might there be something in the file itself that causes it to display in 3D? They all say Anamorphic = No and Interlaced = No. I do have the setting "Use embedded VLC player for direct streaming" enabled.

UPDATE: so the way I have found to get 3D videos to play correctly in Emby (and Kodi) is to open the default VIDEO app, then use the ACTIONS MENU button to put the display into 3D HSBS mode, then return to Emby (or Kodi) and play the desired 3D video - it will play correctly. It is not rock solid, but seems to work consistently for me. Once i do this all of my 3D videos play correctly. Can others try this and post their findings?

Edited by boatguypat