Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes

Guardian Hope

Guardian Hope

my skin just updated however all my colors are wrong.

highlight color is white as is text color so hard to tell what your selecting. 

That is odd to say the least.

There's a critical (as in completely unusable) issue affecting a significant number of updates. An Emergency Release (3.2.11 / 4.0.01) will be released today.

If that doesn't fix your issues, you can restore the default dark color theme from Skin Settings. Actually, you can customize a lot of colors from there.

• Like 1

Guardian Hope

Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes ("Spring 2016 Update Rollup")

3.2.11 (Dormer) Jarvis / 4.0.01 (Danvers) Krypton

THIS IS A CRITICAL UPDATE!

Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes "Spring 2016 Update Rollup" addresses critical issues with the AZ:FA "Spring 2016 Update." It is recommended that everyone update to this version as soon as possible. It has been distributed to both the repository and the Enterprise CDN for quick availability and will be up on GitHub as soon as possible. The "Spring 2016 Update Rollup" addresses issues affecting non-Windows operating systems during installation as a result of uncompressed textures as well as applies a few additional code fixes. In addition, it makes the Danvers Preview line for Krypton available for the first time via the Emby Repo. Please note that once the release of Krypton hits, you will need to re-download the skin to continue receiving updates.

This is also the first Arctic Zephyr release available for Krypton. Support is experimental!

Available on GitHub

Available in the Emby Beta Repo (Jarvis - "Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes" / Krypton - "Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes (Danvers Preview)"

Changelog:

3.2.10 (3.2.11_bsrelease01) / 4.0.01 (4.0.01_bsrelease02) - "From Ashes Spring 2016 Update Rollup"
Experimental Krypton Support ("Danvers" Build Line - Bluestone 2 - 4.0.01)
Resolves Critical Issue with Textures
Resolves Additional Code Errors
Adds ".danvers" to namespace of Krypton Preview Release
Danvers Released Label is now "Anniversary Edition"
Disables Info Banner Function
Info Banner ("Plot Overlay") Partially Implemented (Feature Currently Not Functional)
NOTICE: Due to GUI Changes, Skin Required Space May Temporarily Increase or Use Temporary Textures
NOTICE: Due to Legacy Code Removal, Certain Functions May Not Operate Correctly
NOTICE: Rotten Tomatoes for Views Will Be Added In 3.2.11/4.0.01 (Feature Disabled Currently)
NOTICE: Due to Info Banner, You May Experience a "Black Glitch" at Video Playback Start

Edited by Guardian Hope

nekromantik

That is odd to say the least.

There's a critical (as in completely unusable) issue affecting a significant number of updates. An Emergency Release (3.2.11 / 4.0.01) will be released today.

If that doesn't fix your issues, you can restore the default dark color theme from Skin Settings. Actually, you can customize a lot of colors from there.

Update fixed the issue!

Thanks

Stevef

Hi. I am new to Kodi and love this skin. However, the episodes to watch count is too large to show when in double figures, so it only shows when the Series is selected and then it scrolls. Is there a way to change the size of the number so it shows?

Also, a minor thing with the latest update - for about 5 seconds the bottom 3rd of the screen flickers. Not a major issue, but just wondered if anyone else seeing it?

Anyway, brilliant skin, thanks for the effort put in to it!

Steve.

Guardian Hope

Danvers Preview (Krypton) Link Updated to proper Link for Enterprise CDN: https://embycdn.northebridge.com/AZFA/danvers/4.0.01/skin.arctic.zephyr.fromashes.danvers-4.0.01.zip

Also available in the Emby Beta Repo as "Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes (Danvers Preview)"

Update fixed the issue!

Thanks

@@nekromantik

Happy to hear! :)

Hi. I am new to Kodi and love this skin. However, the episodes to watch count is too large to show when in double figures, so it only shows when the Series is selected and then it scrolls. Is there a way to change the size of the number so it shows?

Also, a minor thing with the latest update - for about 5 seconds the bottom 3rd of the screen flickers. Not a major issue, but just wondered if anyone else seeing it?

Anyway, brilliant skin, thanks for the effort put in to it!

Steve.

@@Stevef

Significant UX and code changes are going on right now which is why, for example, there was a critical update this morning. However, could you perhaps get a screen grab of the area where the size is too large so I know where to fix it or if it will be implemented beyond the depth it's at now?

The other part is a known issue. That's the Info Banner (others like to call it Plot Overlay but that's not fancy enough :P). The code is disabled in 3.2.11/4.0.01 so it shouldn't be showing it or even trying to show it.

I will be away for the upcoming week. Please continue to report bugs and everything else. I will return once my house purchase is complete.

• Like 1

Stevef

Significant UX and code changes are going on right now which is why, for example, there was a critical update this morning. However, could you perhaps get a screen grab of the area where the size is too large so I know where to fix it or if it will be implemented beyond the depth it's at now?

The other part is a known issue. That's the Info Banner (others like to call it Plot Overlay but that's not fancy enough :P). The code is disabled in 3.2.11/4.0.01 so it shouldn't be showing it or even trying to show it.

Hi. Here's the screenshot:

574014100cedf_screenshot.png

I am talking about the number shown here in blue (although default is magenta). IT shows on all the different episode lists / views and is the number of unwatched episodes. Each line here should show a number, but those with double figures aren't showing. The selected one does she the double figure number, but scrolls through it. I would like to be able to see the unwatched count without having to highlight?

As for the flickering, I have updated to 3.2.11 and it sill flickers - is there somewhere to turn the option for showing the plot on/off perhaps?

Thanks.

Neo3477

Hello,

I have the same Problem with flickering and there is another thing. The discarts under the movie sets are not longer shown in this version.. Sorry for that bad English...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

StealthDefender

@@Guardian Hope

I have a little feature request if its possible and you got time on this. :-)

Is there any way to dissable content by skin with an rating filter? So that 16+content would be hidden and can be reactivated by password or something?

Maybe a “ rating view “ :-)

Greetz Stealth

Guardian Hope

Hi. Here's the screenshot:

574014100cedf_screenshot.png

I am talking about the number shown here in blue (although default is magenta). IT shows on all the different episode lists / views and is the number of unwatched episodes. Each line here should show a number, but those with double figures aren't showing. The selected one does she the double figure number, but scrolls through it. I would like to be able to see the unwatched count without having to highlight?

As for the flickering, I have updated to 3.2.11 and it sill flickers - is there somewhere to turn the option for showing the plot on/off perhaps?

Thanks.

Oh my, I didn't even know those were there. Even now I'm learning something new about the skin I became curator of. I will take a look at the view as my guess is that is where the code for it is located and get that fixed. It looks like it's using a color variable; do you like it blue (or customizable as more skin customization is coming) or would you prefer it to be more in-line with the other font color. At the very least, that font style is completely off from the rest of the skin and will be changed.

Unfortunately, no, there's no option and I'm not entirely certain how the flickering is still occurring. The code that tells the Skin Helper Service to display the Info Banner is commented out so I am going to have to investigate it a little further. It's possible that a few merges may have reconstituted it. I have received reports of some people getting older dev versions.

Hello,

I have the same Problem with flickering and there is another thing. The discarts under the movie sets are not longer shown in this version.. Sorry for that bad English...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

DiscArts should be working fine. Could you provide a log? This is the first report but a lot of things changed with 3.2.11.

@@Guardian Hope

I have a little feature request if its possible and you got time on this. :-)

Is there any way to dissable content by skin with an rating filter? So that 16+content would be hidden and can be reactivated by password or something?

Maybe a “ rating view “ :-)

Greetz Stealth

I'm not even sure if that's possible. I know content can be locked behind a passcode or by profile but a ratings filter to 16+ content (this is an odd number as R and MA are 18 and than PG-13 is 13 but I'm guessing a different country).

I will look into this but I am not entirely certain whether it's possible to do that at the skin level in Kodi.

• Like 1

Stevef

Oh my, I didn't even know those were there. Even now I'm learning something new about the skin I became curator of. I will take a look at the view as my guess is that is where the code for it is located and get that fixed. It looks like it's using a color variable; do you like it blue (or customizable as more skin customization is coming) or would you prefer it to be more in-line with the other font color. At the very least, that font style is completely off from the rest of the skin and will be changed.

Unfortunately, no, there's no option and I'm not entirely certain how the flickering is still occurring. The code that tells the Skin Helper Service to display the Info Banner is commented out so I am going to have to investigate it a little further. It's possible that a few merges may have reconstituted it. I have received reports of some people getting older dev versions.

Thanks, I appreciate it. In fact the default colour is actually magenta, which is even more out of line! There is an option to change it in the advanced colour settings, which is what I did (I think it is classed as the 2nd highlight colour, but can't remember). IT's the same colour as the indicators for watches etc (the eye, flame etc). 

No big issue about the flickering, It is only for a few seconds. 

Thanks for your help.

Guardian Hope
Ahead of the June 18th, 2016 release of the "Summer 2016" Update I have included a changelog of all changes inclusive for both Dormer (Jarvis) and Danvers (Krypton) version of Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes. Please note that 3.2.20 is an LTS (Long Term Support) release with no significant changes planned to be made to the skin until Autumn 2016 (October/November). Minor patches will be made to address bugs as they come up. This is to align AZ:FA with the release of Krypton.

No Raspberry-Pi owner has come forward with any system logs so I can't see why the kernel panics are happening and therefore there is no fix in 3.2.20 nor have I made fixing it a priority for the same exact reason. If someone does come forward, we'll try to determine an appropriate patch.

Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes "Summer 2016 Update"

Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes "Summer 2016 Update" - Released June 18, 2016
Dormer: 3.2.20 / Danvers: 4.0.20

ARCTIC ZEPHYR: FROM ASHES ANNIVERSARY EDITION (DANVERS) IS IN EARLY PREVIEW AND FUNCTIONALITY IS NOT A GUARANTEE. FEEDBACK ON THE DANVERS RELEASES WILL ALLOW FOR A BETTER TRANSITION FROM JARVIS (KODI 16) TO KRYPTON (KODI 17).

The "Summer 2016 Update" to Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes is a Long Term Support (LTS) release built for stability and reliability. It features a number of changes to Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes to enhance the user experience. No major releases are scheduled for Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes until the "Autumn 2016 Update" in October or November. Bugfixes will be made through minor patch releases.

"About From Ashes" has been updated with new credits which were missing in the "Spring 2016 Update"
Info Banner Code Has Been Completely Commented Out for Dormer and Danver Releases
Rotten Tomatoes Has Been Added to the Video Information Screen
Rotten Tomatoes Has Been Added to the "Views"
Fixes to Broken Code Lines During 3rd Gen Color Enhancement Implementation
Danvers ONLY: Adds "DialogConfirm.xml"
New Textures Have Been Added
Unused Textures Have Been Removed
4th Generation Color Enhancer Has Been Added
Ability to change Dialog Menu Background
Ability to change Dialog Menu Text
Ability to change Dialog Disabled Text
Ability to change Dialog Buttons Highlight
Ability to change Hubs Menu Highlight
Ability to change Hubs Text Color Highlight
Ability to change Hubs Widget Highlight Border
Ability to change Hubs Widget Sublabel
Ability to change Side Blade Menu Highlight Color
Implemented new Busy Spinner into all applicable windows
Fixed File Browser not displaying Folder and File Icons properly
Changed "script.toolbox" to "script.skinhelper" for Backup and Restore in Skin Settings.
Added new Color Themes Category in Skin Settings, With Ability to Create and Manage Custom Themes
Added Ability to Select Day/Night Themes
Anniversary View Foundation Added (Currently Disabled)
WARNING: Raspberry-Pi Owners Have Reported boot loops from "Kernel Panics" after using Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes. This can be fixed by manually editing the config file to restore Confluence. There is currently no known resolution to this bug. If you have a system log file, please provide it so that the user experience on the Raspberry-Pi may be fixed.

xbmcnut

@@ezpz - so far I have been unable to replicate your issue. I simply install the (original) pre-requisites and the Kodi Beta Repository and simply click "Install" to install the skin. I have done this on several Windows virtual machines which serve as testing scenarios for the skin before a release is published. I also tested it against OS X 10.11.3 with no issues as well.

I will keep track of reports of it but so far you are the only one to report this issue.

For the record however, if Kodi installs addons in the order that they are listed within addons.xml than the Skin Helper Service would have been next: 

<import addon="service.nextup.notification" version="1.0.15"/>
<import addon="script.skin.helper.service" version="1.0.60"/>

For everyone else: The early-April 2016 update will soon be arriving with a few additions including the return of the info banner upon start of playback (it will appear for 8 seconds), an update to the "About From Ashes" page, and it's looking more and more likely that I will be able to add in the new textures to replace the older icon textures.

Starting with the early-April 2016 release two versions of From Ashes will be made available at every update: the Bluestone "dormer" build for Kodi 16 Jarvis and the Bluestone "danvers" build for Kodi 17 Krypton for those brave enough to actually run Kodi 17.

While this may seem like more work it's actually not. Kodi 16's changes are required for Kodi 17 and Kodi 17 exposes a few new APIs that will help improve the skin. However, all updates will continue on the dormer build line and simply be pushed upstream to danvers. There is absolutely no guarantee that the danvers builds will actually function correctly right now and they don't exist on GitHub publicly yet (it's in a private repository).

P.S. Just in case you're wondering, yes, "Danvers" is a reference to Supergirl because the extent of my comic book knowledge are the Marvel movies and Supergirl:)

Unfortunately I too am experiencing the same issue on two platforms; Kodi (17.0-ALPHA2 Git:20160523-2d51629). Platform: Windows NT x86 32-bit and LibreELEC (Krypton) v7.90.001 ALPHA on a Zotac Zbox ION2. The installation fails at 18% every time on both platforms.

Log http://pastebin.com/WvZ3bqGZ

xbmcnut

Uninstalled Kodi and removed everything, did a complete new install from the link here http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/win32/KodiSetup-20160603-0a4f29e-master.exe and then installed the repository.beta.emby.kodi-1.0.5.zip. Installed AZ from this repository and again the install fails with similar results. Will now try again with Kodi 16 and see what happens.

Log http://pastebin.com/4zQ1SX7G

xbmcnut

OK. Uninstalled Kodi 17 and removed everything and did a clean install of Kodi 16.1 for Windows. Installed the repository.beta.emby.kodi-1.0.5.zip and then AZ from this repository. Again, the install fails with similar results around 16~18% when the NEXTUP SERVICE NOTIFICATION Service is being installed.

Full log here http://pastebin.com/1P5Y0SSR

Would be great to see if I can get this working as I'm loving the look of the skin but so far am unable to try it on either of my two devices.

rak007

I registered recently to provide my inputs. I tried to follow the steps and install this skin but no to avail. I have Kodi Jarvis 16.1 and also installed the emby beta repo and the installation always fails at 18% like some other people have reported. Also I think I have fulfilled the requirements given in the first post (I have Kodi jarvis and repo both installed). Any help to resolve this will be appreciated.

xbmcnut

I registered recently to provide my inputs. I tried to follow the steps and install this skin but no to avail. I have Kodi Jarvis 16.1 and also installed the emby beta repo and the installation always fails at 18% like some other people have reported. Also I think I have fulfilled the requirements given in the first post (I have Kodi jarvis and repo both installed). Any help to resolve this will be appreciated.

Good to know I'm not going mad. :)

Guardian Hope

Unfortunately I too am experiencing the same issue on two platforms; Kodi (17.0-ALPHA2 Git:20160523-2d51629). Platform: Windows NT x86 32-bit and LibreELEC (Krypton) v7.90.001 ALPHA on a Zotac Zbox ION2. The installation fails at 18% every time on both platforms.

Log http://pastebin.com/WvZ3bqGZ

I will review your log later but I should inform you that on the Kodi forums there has been quite a bit of discussion about OSMC, LibreELEC, and OpenELEC getting stuck in a bootloop on the Raspberry-Pi. It only seems to occur on that device so if you're using an Intel NUC or something other than an rPi you should be fine.

From Ashes doesn't install on Kodi 17 because it's missing an XML file specific to Krypton. It will be added in the next update.

To address the two or three other posts you made in regards to Kodi 16.1: there are no known installation issues that effect Kodi 16.1 except on the Raspberry Pi. 

At this time there are many tens-of-thousands of downloads of From Ashes each update just from the Enterprise CDN (it's the only one I can keep track of; I don't know about the repo stats or Git's) and in all that time the issue you face remains something that can't be reproduced. 

The only advice I can give you is the following: install it from the repo or install it from the Enterprise CDN. If neither works, install it the old fashioned way: extract the zip and move "skin.arctic.zephyr.fromashes" (or "skin.arctic.zephyr.fromashes.danvers") folder which comes out of the zip to the Kodi addons folder. Enable it and Kodi will take care of the rest.

If you are attempting to install from GitHub, you have to change the folder name to match one of the above depending on which version you get - otherwise it won't install. This is a limitation of the Skin Helper Service and GitHub as GitHub appends a name to the folder inside the zip.

Please see the above.

xbmcnut

The only advice I can give you is the following: install it from the repo or install it from the Enterprise CDN. If neither works, install it the old fashioned way: extract the zip and move "skin.arctic.zephyr.fromashes" (or "skin.arctic.zephyr.fromashes.danvers") folder which comes out of the zip to the Kodi addons folder. Enable it and Kodi will take care of the rest.

Thanks for the reply. I have again installed a clean version of Kodi 16.1 and downloaded the CDN version this time (note, your link on page one for the Jarvis build is incorrect as you've included the word 'or' at the end). Again, the installs fails right after it installs the NEXTUP SERVICE NOTIFICATION Service. I see no other prerequisites on page one for either Jarvis or Krypton other than the right version and the repo installed (that method does not work either, at least on my PC).

I am not installing on rPi. This system is Windows 10/64 with a 32 bit install of Kodi 16.1. My other install is on a Zotac Zbox running LibreELEC but as that's running Krypton, at least I now understand why that does not work.

Log for Windows install on top of 16.1 here http://pastebin.com/Gq19HKSy

FYI, side loading the downloaded skin.arctic.zephyr.fromashes-3.2.11.zip from the CDN and manually enabling it works.

Edited by xbmcnut

rak007

FYI, side loading the downloaded skin.arctic.zephyr.fromashes-3.2.11.zip from the CDN and manually enabling it works.

Thanks for that piece of information. I will try it this way. Hopefully everything works with this method.

This system is Windows 10/64 with a 32 bit install of Kodi 16.1.

Out of interest my installation issues are also on a Win 10 machine. Perhaps that's the common denominator here?

BarryAmerika

Does anyone know if the info banner that comes up at the start of playback has a setting somewhere that will let me turn it off or set the display time?

Occasionally I get the flickering thing mentioned above which is great because it means it will dissappear after a few seconds but if the info banner actually displays it wont go away unless I stop the video playing and go back to the home screen and then open it again.

It only reappeared an update or two ago.

Guardian Hope

Thanks for the reply. I have again installed a clean version of Kodi 16.1 and downloaded the CDN version this time (note, your link on page one for the Jarvis build is incorrect as you've included the word 'or' at the end). Again, the installs fails right after it installs the NEXTUP SERVICE NOTIFICATION Service. I see no other prerequisites on page one for either Jarvis or Krypton other than the right version and the repo installed (that method does not work either, at least on my PC).

I am not installing on rPi. This system is Windows 10/64 with a 32 bit install of Kodi 16.1. My other install is on a Zotac Zbox running LibreELEC but as that's running Krypton, at least I now understand why that does not work.

Log for Windows install on top of 16.1 here http://pastebin.com/Gq19HKSy

There is one dependency that's not listed here but is on the Kodi Forums as it's part of the Emby Beta Repo by special request: Script.Duration.

See: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=257970

Out of interest my installation issues are also on a Win 10 machine. Perhaps that's the common denominator here?

@@ezpz

Except one issue: the most common system running From Ashes is Windows 10 Pro 64bit with Kodi Jarvis. Following that are Android, TV, Linux, OS X, and then finally miscellaneous other operating systems which aren't considered "major distributions."

I only test Windows 10 Pro 64bit, OS X, and Linux 64bit however the threshold of "acceptability" is "does it run on Windows 10 Pro 64bit and OS X?" which if the answer is "yes" it's good enough for release. It's rare that a bug will pop up that is Linux only and doesn't effect OS X so that's why it's not all three in the testing threshold. 

No one runs 32bit OS' these days so they aren't even bothered to be tested against and a dedicated group on the Kodi forums make sure it runs well on Android.

The only known configuration suffering from a defect is a the Raspberry-Pi running OSMC, LibreElec, or OpenElec as well as a missing XML file in the Krypton version that will be fixed on 6/18.

Does anyone know if the info banner that comes up at the start of playback has a setting somewhere that will let me turn it off or set the display time?

Occasionally I get the flickering thing mentioned above which is great because it means it will dissappear after a few seconds but if the info banner actually displays it wont go away unless I stop the video playing and go back to the home screen and then open it again.

It only reappeared an update or two ago.

@@BarryAmerika

Unfortunately, no. I am still uncertain how some were able to get their hands on the version which contained the info banner code to begin with as it was commented out before the final release package and 3.2.11 most certainly would not have had it. Essentially, the versions with the info banner are the debug versions, no the release versions. However, there was some erroneous commits to GitHub at the 3.2.10 and 3.2.11 releases which may explain how some got a version with the info banner still enabled.

rak007

Ok so as suggested in one of posts above, I did a manual install (downloaded the zip from Github, extracted and got the skins.arctic.......folder, copied into kodi directory after renaming it - removed the end "-master" part) and it worked fine.

But can anyone tell me why the original ZIP I downloaded (not from github) was 105MB or so but the github one is 205MB ? Or I am doing something wrong ?

Edited by rak007

Guardian Hope

Ok so as suggested in one of posts above, I did a manual install (downloaded the zip from Github, extracted and got the skins.arctic.......folder, copied into kodi directory after renaming it - removed the end "-master" part) and it worked fine.

But can anyone tell me why the original ZIP I downloaded (not from github) was 105MB or so but the github one is 205MB ? Or I am doing something wrong ?

@@rak007

The reason GitHub's version has a much larger file size is because it contains the textures uncompressed. Normally, when you browse to /media/ you'll see two files: Textures.xbt and Squares.xbt. In the version downloaded from GitHub, since none of this has been compressed or cleaned up for release, you see everything.

If you would like to save space, the Emby Repo and CDN versions can be sideloaded as well which will net you about 100MB of reclaimed storage. You just take the internal folder which is already appropriately named and copy it over to the Kodi addon's folder.

Raspberry Pi Users (OSMC): We are now in direct contact with the developers of the OSMC Project who weren't aware that the skin was causing a kernel panic on their platform until it was brought to their attention. We are working with them for a resolution. We have not contacted the OpenELEC or LibreELEC distributions yet which also suffer from the same defect.

Do note that since it's a Segmentation Fault in the Linux Dynamic Loader or "ld-linux.so" file that is causing the kernel to panic, it will take a little bit of time to trace down the issue.

The thread may be found at https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/artic-zephyr-from-ashes-skin-sadface-on-reboot/17042/8

• Like 1

StealthDefender

And the flickering issue?

Should i delete the whole installation and reinstal it from the repo? Would this help?

Greetz Stealth