Media starts then stops

Mike2715

Mike2715

I have just purchased the Emby App from Google Play. Installed on a ASUS Zen 10 Tablet. Running Android ver. 5.0.2. I am able to login to the app and view the home page. But when I start to view a movie the app will attempt to start and then just returns to the home page. I am able to select an external player and it works that way. I am also able to connect to the server with the web client and everything works from there. I have no idea where to look next.

Server version:

App. version

2eba9b75-a729-4a2e-a185-10268f9a1fe1.log

server-63586964808.txt

• Like 1

Hi, have you tried the latest version of the app, which is 2.5.63? Are you saying the chrome browser on the very same device works fine?

Mike2715

Yes I am running the latest ver. 2.5.63. And yes Chrome Browser (ver. 47.0.2526.83) on the same device works perfectly. And I wanted to mention that this is happening on two identical tablets. They were bought at the same time.

Mike

Interesting, thanks. We are using libvlc. Maybe for older versions of android we should offer an option to use the native player, then it should perform identical to chrome. 

Interesting, thanks. We are using libvlc. Maybe for older versions of android we should offer an option to use the native player, then it should perform identical to chrome. 

He's on Lollipop...

Ok, my mistake. I may still add that option though. We are also going to update libvlc soon and there's a good chance that will bring more improvements.

Mike2715

I thought Kitkat and Lollipop were the two most widely used Android versions being used. I don't think I would call it an older version.

Mike

Mike2715

Any idea when an update is coming out that fixes this issue? Before you ask I am at the latest ver. Kind of feel I wasted my money to buy the app and have to play my media in other ways. Browser etc.

Mike

chambonito

Same issue here. Native android app plays then stops. Changing bitrate to lowest will let it play but on the same device in same location web client works at full 1080p. An eta for a fix would be good.

I am still trying to discover the cause of this. Since are all reporting a good experience with the native chrome player, i might just add an option to use the native player instead of libvlc.

• 4 months later...
Mike2715

FYI: After the latest Emby Droid update, the player is now working from the problem I was having. Just wanted to let you know.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
pacoquindle

I am having this problem as well. For certain videos they play for about 20 seconds the exit back to previous screen. No log file is prodused for these cases. These videos play in external player (mxplayer) and via roku and chromecast. Not sure if it is significant, but so far, all the videos that fail are .avi files.

Edited by pacoquindle

I am having this problem as well. For certain videos they play for about 20 seconds the exit back to previous screen. No log file is prodused for these cases. These videos play in external player (mxplayer) and via roku and chromecast. Not sure if it is significant, but so far, all the videos that fail are .avi files.

Hi there, 

Can you please provide a log from the android app:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/15638-how-to-report-an-android-problem/

As well as a copy of the media info from the web client? thanks.