FR: Force transcode HEVC

chriskeens

chriskeens

Im having the issue that it won't transcode when I click the box. It just plays it using direct stream.

Im using a vero which is to weak for h265 and I wan't emby to transcode it for me.

It does transcode if I try to play a h265 video on a browser on my computer so I guess it's the emby for kodi plugin thats buggy.

I'm having this same issue. Using 1.1.68 addon in Kodi via a Fire TV Stick... Playback mode is 'addon', play from http is enabled, force transcode is enabled. Media info on the server says codec is HEVC.

however playing the file through Kodi just results in direct streaming rather than transcoding and therefore I get choppy playback.

log attached.

Log.txt

• 2 weeks later...
chriskeens

OK, I'll have a play later today and report back.

EDIT: having tried with both force H265 and HEVC options selected as well as just HEVC on its own, playback of the file is still choppy and the server says it is still direct streaming

Edited by chriskeens
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Boo [emoji17] I forgot to add the force transcode in the direct stream area, my bad. I'll have a new build for you to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

chriskeens

reset the local database... uninstalled emby from kodi. installed the new one. Now only has the option for HEVC and not h265. Playing the same file I have been using each time and it is still stuttering and the server still says direct streaming.

Angelblue05

Thanks! I do not have anything in this format so it's difficult for me to get this right (I really should, because I need to save space! :P).

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Ok, this should work. Both h265 and hevc (as they are detected on the server) will fall under that one setting. It should transcode with the setting enabled. Thanks for your patience :), let me know that it works correctly now!

Angelblue05

What? Then something else must be wrong. Do me a favor, enable the add-on log level set to debug (no Kodi debug), then try to play the item and post that log so I can see where it's going wrong, thanks.

@@Angelblue05, it's 720p/hevc, not 1080p like the option...

Edit:

Also from the logs Product: montoya = Amazon Fire TV Stick...

Edited by Delphi
  • Like 1

chriskeens

@@Angelblue05, it's 720p/hevc, not 1080p like the option...

Edit:

Also from the logs Product: montoya = Amazon Fire TV Stick...

Yes this is correct... it was just me being a little slow and not realising that it had to be 1080p. I have now tested a 1080p HEVC file and it transcodes as expected  :)

Can I now put in a request that we have an option to able to be force transcode 720p HEVC/H265 (or just any quality HEVC/H265)?

Edited by chriskeens
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Ok, whew. There was just no way it wasn't working as expected. So 720p also stutters? I've read from others that it was working fine for them, but 1080p wasn't...

Anyway, I'll add a setting to force transcode 720p/h265/hevc

• Like 1

chriskeens

Does it perform well too? I'm curious. :)

It seems to. Every file I have tried so far has come from the server as expected with 1080p/720p HEVC transcoding (the quality drops to 720p/SD when transcoding but I can live with that). The 1080p/720p x264 files direct stream as wanted. I can't comment on 1080p/720p x265 as I only have HEVC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Johnnygo

When will this change be available in the repository? I'm using version 1.1.62 of this plugin, and kodi tells me it's up-to-date.

When I donwload the zip file, and try to install it, I get a dependencies not met error.