Slow to find chromecasts?

runtimesandbox

runtimesandbox

Do you ever lose control during playback? 

Yes. Since the changes have been reverted it seems to always loose control. Mainly the notification of what is / was playing stays at the top of the device with no way to close it. Tapping on it will then resort back to the chromecast / emby if nothing was playing. Doesn't go back to what was playing but brings up the emby waiting screen.

runtimesandbox

What was the reason that the chromecast fix had to be pulled? I'm really struggling to get it to see any of my chromecasts now  :(

• Like 1

The reason is what you said in post #51. That problem occurs with the change I made. I cannot reproduce it at all after reverting. I still would like to go back to the change I made because it does simplify some things, but it has to wait until i can set aside time to debug a library that was written by someone else.

hmm, i feel like we're all talking about different versions of the client here, possibly with a dash of confusion?  Looking back:

-- 2.5.66 - fixed the cc discovery issue

-- 2.5.69 - retained the cc discovery issue fix and fixed some other stuff(although nothing i noticed personally)

Then i guess the cc discovery fix was removed after sometime after 2.5.69 and still left out all the way up to the current version (2.5.80). 

Just trying to get things sorted a bit.

Edited by markgbe

runtimesandbox

The reason is what you said in post #51. That problem occurs with the change I made. I cannot reproduce it at all after reverting. I still would like to go back to the change I made because it does simplify some things, but it has to wait until i can set aside time to debug a library that was written by someone else.

Hi Luke

Sorry in post #51 I meant after i had updated to the version that reverted the changes made to fix the cc issue. 

I did not have those issue in the versions that the cc was picked up everytime. Hope this clarifies. 

Hi Luke

Sorry in post #51 I meant after i had updated to the version that reverted the changes made to fix the cc issue. 

I did not have those issue in the versions that the cc was picked up everytime. Hope this clarifies. 

Yes when I put up those builds it does get picked up everytime but then there are remote control issues during playback, which seems like messages possibly getting dropped but i haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet.

• 3 weeks later...
dahorn11

Are there any updates on this issue? using the localcast app as an external player is ok for now as a workaround, but would be great to have it working in the emby app itself

Edited by dahorn11
  • Like 1

runtimesandbox

I don't know if Luke has released any further fixes on this issue but the few times I have used it recently they have showed up first time

I have not. I would still like to revisit the change I made last month and see if it can be brought back, just haven't had a chance to do that yet.

runtimesandbox

No problem, there are never enough hours in the day. If you need anything testing when you do get round to it just let us know

iv-tecman

I've just moved from Plex to Emby and I too noticed that chromecast took a while to list in the device list using Emby on Android. I also noticed that the notification area that shows a video being cast has no disconnect option like Plex did. No huge issue as generally emby chromecasting is miles better then Plex - as Emby works better with audio (full 5.1 whereas Plex seems to downmix to 2ch) and the transcoding is much better.

So TBH I wait for the device listing as its worth the wait.. 

AxelAxel3

After searching and struggling for months to get Chromecast to work with Emby (when your kid is crying for a show only on Emby and you can't get it to work, I call it struggling lol) and starting various threads about the issue, i finally found this post. Joined the Beta testing program, downloaded the update, then started reading more and seen reverted it :(. However, if you need someone to test, I to am having the issue and would be more than glad to test it.

But you mentioned the notification bar is loosing the ability to control... That was an issue wayyy back (almost a year ago), way before you posted this fix. I mentioned in a thread I made here.

But seriously I would be more than happy to test anything regarding this issue for you. I've been struggling with it for almost a year now, and since chromecasts are our main way to watch TV, its made Emby kind of useless for us (as painful as it is to say considering I bought an entire server, cisco switch, HDHomeRun, and faster APs just for emby).

dahorn11

After searching and struggling for months to get Chromecast to work with Emby.

There are two ways to get it working for now, you can use the web app in chrome browser and use chromes media player to cast it after it starts playing. Or install localcast, and use it as an external player in the play store app.

There are two ways to get it working for now, you can use the web app in chrome browser and use chromes media player to cast it after it starts playing. Or install localcast, and use it as an external player in the play store app.

True, although if you just cast from the video player and not emby remote control, then you won't necessarily get the best stream for chromecast, which you may or may not care about.

runtimesandbox

When I have the problem with it not detecting the chromecast there a few ways to either get the chromecasts to show up.

First try and disconnect the wifi on your device and reconnect it. Close the app and reopen it and it may show up.

Go in to the settings and force close emby. Open emby up again and they may be there.

Failing the above, restart your device. They tend to show up straight away from a restart.

Hopefully a work around for some of you until luke can look in to it again

iv-tecman

Rebooting my phone is the only way I've found to speed the whole process up.

Tried rebooting chromecast, disconnect wireless, reboot of my phone is a quickest method. Family members all love the quality from Emby Chromecasting, but they don't like how un-reliable it is. So the family for now use Plex - I however love the audio in 5.1 whereas Plex doesn't transcode audio well at all and I don't like the Stutter plex sometimes gives... So I reboot my phone.

Hopefully - someone works out what the issue is and then I can pretty much ditch plex and so emby full timw..  As mention above, kids don't like delays in watching peppa pig or simpsons lol 

Rebooting my phone is the only way I've found to speed the whole process up.

Tried rebooting chromecast, disconnect wireless, reboot of my phone is a quickest method. Family members all love the quality from Emby Chromecasting, but they don't like how un-reliable it is. So the family for now use Plex - I however love the audio in 5.1 whereas Plex doesn't transcode audio well at all and I don't like the Stutter plex sometimes gives... So I reboot my phone.

Hopefully - someone works out what the issue is and then I can pretty much ditch plex and so emby full timw..  As mention above, kids don't like delays in watching peppa pig or simpsons lol 

What you can do as a workaround to stay with Emby is make your Chrome browser on your device is up to date (version 48 +). Mobile chrome on android now supports casting from web apps. The javascript implementation in the web app is much simpler because it's using the google supplied libraries directly. The android app is a little more complex than that. Please note, I am not sure this will on amazon devices, even if chrome is update to date.

iv-tecman

What you can do as a workaround to stay with Emby is make your Chrome browser on your device is up to date (version 48 +). Mobile chrome on android now supports casting from web apps. The javascript implementation in the web app is much simpler because it's using the google supplied libraries directly. The android app is a little more complex than that. Please note, I am not sure this will on amazon devices, even if chrome is update to date.

We use Samsung and HTC Android devices, I'll go install latest Chrome and see how they get on. All I need is to provide a simple method for them to access their shows. Seeing as we are a household that has no other means of media, no live TV in our house, we stopped all Sky / live TV over a year ago and use Now TV or Netflix and also google movies and any movies we owned on DVD  /blu ray or new movies we get go straight into the media server. So , we pretty much depend on reliable media sources.. I don;t mind rebooting but try telling kids and the wife this.. lol 

Edited by iv-tecman

runtimesandbox

Yes the chrome web browser for mobile devices works well just like on desktop and it's easy to cast things straight from it. Worth a shot whilst the app catches up

jamvids

The workaround I use is simply open the app, see what's in the list, if your CC's aren't there, leave the app open and turn the device wifi off and on and they magically appear, or if you have a dual band swap from 2g to 5g or vice versa, it works on both my Sony phones (Z and Z5 premium) and my galaxy tab 4

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I've posted an update to the open beta:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24350-android-open-beta-testing/

Please jump on this if you're not already. This update restores the change I made over a month ago (before reverting). This time I'd like to get this done because this change is for the better, and resolves this issue. So please let's hammer on Chromecast testing. @@Oakington and @@shorty1483 I need your help too.

Please note - this change is related purely to the ability to connect and remote control Chromecast, it's not related to playback performance at all.

• Like 2

runtimesandbox

I've posted an update to the open beta:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24350-android-open-beta-testing/

Please jump on this if you're not already. This update restores the change I made over a month ago (before reverting). This time I'd like to get this done because this change is for the better, and resolves this issue. So please let's hammer on Chromecast testing. @@Oakington and @@shorty1483 I need your help too.

Please note - this change is related purely to the ability to connect and remote control Chromecast, it's not related to playback performance at all.

Fantastic Luke!

Will get testing this right away :)

markgbe

So.. First thing is first, Chromecast in my house are now discoverable. (Yay)

Will report any issues.

Thanks

Edited by markgbe

Thanks. I do know of one pretty obvious issue, so if you guys don't report it then I'll know you're not testing too hard :)