Slow to find chromecasts?

runtimesandbox

runtimesandbox

I'm running the latest stable server Version 3.0.5781.9 and the latest android beta app 2.5.57

When i fist open the App, it seems really slow to find the chromecasts on my home network. It will find any Emby players such as chrome browser or Kodi plugins but not the chromecasts. They do eventually appear but i have to wait 5 mins +

Everything works fine when they are found. Is there a fix for this?

Do you need any logs?

Also, when casting with the Emby app, sometimes the app will loose sync with whats being cast. This would be an issue but there is no way to close emby and get rid of the notification (most other cast capable apps have an (X) in the bottom right of the notification)

jamvids

I have these issues too, my Z5 seems to be the best for finding them, my old xperia Z (which I use in the kitchen) was finding them okay but is hit and miss now, and so is my galaxy tab 4.

On a different subject, I think it has already been reported, when playing music, if you skip a song, it stops the playlist (both 1st gen CC, and CC audio) if left to play it works okay.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

same issue.   i have two chromecasts...one phone found one of the two, the other found none..

Edited by markgbe

runtimesandbox

Glad the issue isn't just me. My android devices do eventually find the Chromecasts, usually have to leave the app running in the background and come back to it a lot later on.

Would any logs etc be any use?

I've got similar issues with android app and chromecast.  Stable server and 2.5.55 android app with a chromecast 2, it finds the chromecasts first time but after that I have to close the app (swipe away in recents) before it will detect any again...

devs must be on vaca.  :)

Another issue i found which is probably related is, my one android in the house that did find my two chromecasts, well it listed 4 instances of each one. 

Hope this is fixed soon, i'd like to give emby a real shot of taking the place of plex in my house.

ice pube

devs must be on vaca.   :)

Another issue i found which is probably related is, my one android in the house that did find my two chromecasts, well it listed 4 instances of each one. 

Hope this is fixed soon, i'd like to give emby a real shot of taking the place of plex in my house.

I would like to totally replace plex too, but this kind of thing is so incredibly frustrating I have given up on the idea for a couple months. 

jamvids

I have just been looking at reviews on the play store for the CC app, all of this is echoed on there, for many other clients as well. Not sure the Emby devs should waste time fixing google hardware/software.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

markgbe

I don't think it's the Chromecast. I use many other castable apps like plex, Netflix, hulu, YouTube, pbs, localcast... the list goes on.

This is the only app I've used that can't find Chromecast in my house.

• Like 1

markgbe

Strange. This is a flat network I'm on. Fresh emby install the other day after months of not using it.

Some info if any of it helps..

Subnet: 192.168.9.0/24

All devices on the same gigabit switch, no routers or any type of natting or firewalls or anything in between.

One Chromecast wireless, one wired with eth adapter

Using latest server ver and latest android ver.

Like I mentioned above, plex and many other apps are fine.

markgbe

Strange. This is a flat network I'm on. Fresh emby install the other day after months of not using it.

Some info if any of it helps..

Subnet: 192.168.9.0/24

All devices on the same gigabit switch, no routers or any type of natting or firewalls or anything in between.

One Chromecast wireless, one wired with eth adapter

Using latest server ver and latest android ver.

Like I mentioned above, plex and many other apps are fine.

runtimesandbox

Hi Luke

This is all that I get when I first open the Emby android app.

5689a3a613e8b_Screenshot_20160103223531.

I have made sure I am on the latest version 2.3.80 of the app. I also restarted the chromecasts to make sure they were up-to-date

Eventually the chromecasts show up like below 

5689a3b7a4dca_Screenshot_20160103223919.

• Like 1

markgbe

On one device, my "select player" menu is empty, just shows "select player".  (Moto x - android 5.1)

On another device for whatever reason, it shoes multiple of each chromecast i have. (nexus 6, android 6.0.1)

On both devices i can open up youtube, plex, or any app and immediately show chromecasts to cast to.

Edited by markgbe
  • Like 1

italianstallion11885

I've got similar issues with android app and chromecast.  Stable server and 2.5.55 android app with a chromecast 2, it finds the chromecasts first time but after that I have to close the app (swipe away in recents) before it will detect any again...

This is exactly what mine is doing. I installed the new version and it was still doing it last night. Anybody else seeing this with the new update still?

markgbe

This is exactly what mine is doing. I installed the new version and it was still doing it last night. Anybody else seeing this with the new update still?

i'm seeing the same issues even with the latest android app update.

if there is anything i can do to help, let me know.  

Edited by markgbe

markgbe

also, just for fun i changed my home network subnet to 192.168.1.0/24 to see if that made any difference and as expected, no change.

runtimesandbox

Got excited when I saw the new chromecast update but alas, still having the same issues.

It does now however find the nearby chromecast (one I'm sat next to) but I don't think that is properly on the network.

Could this be something to do with our internal networks?

Doesn't seem to affect all users... maybe its something to do with also using https?

jamvids

Personally I wouldn't change the subnet from 255.255.255.0 unless you have 250 + devices on your network. Then it would be 255.255.253.0. Can't ever see the need for 250 chromecasts.  :) Or am I missing something? If so educate me.

Edited by jamvids

runtimesandbox

okay to rule out a few other possible potential causes:

• All bar one of my chromecasts are in a room with a wireless router so signal strength should not be an issue.
  • The entire network is gigabit so that also should not be an issue

Looking around on the internet i came across this

Chromecast does not cast blinkbox or BBC iPlayer when used with a BT Home Hub

We're aware of an issue with the BT Home Hub that leads to certain Google Chromecast apps not working, including our blinkbox app, and other apps, like BBC iPlayer. It's because of a setting on your BT Home Hub called Smart Setup, which intercepts the connection between the Chromecast and your app.

To resolve this issue, simply:

1. Go to your BT Home Hub settings menu at http://bthomehub.home, logging in using the password you set, or the one at the bottom of your router.
    2. Go to the Advanced Settings tab.
    3. In the Home Network section, turn off Smart Setup.
    4. Press apply to update the settings, then try to connect again.

If you're still experiencing issues, we'd recommend contacting the BT support team.

now I don't have a BT hub, but perhaps the problem comes from using multiple routers / AP's? I'm just speculating here. I will try and test this out using a normal wifi setup with one modem / router. You would have thought this would affect all the chromecast apps though right?

markgbe

Personally I wouldn't change the subnet from 255.255.255.0 unless you have 250 + devices on your network. Then it would be 255.255.253.0. Can't ever see the need for 250 chromecasts.  :) Or am I missing something? If so educate me.

i should have elaborated i suppose.  What i did just for giggles was change my subnet from what it was (192.168.9.0/24) to (192.168.1.0/24).   Just on the of chance that there was some weird bug with how the emby app search for chromecasts on a lan.  No such luck though.

• Like 1