Transcoding options

Vector

What are the options available in the <TranscodingProfile /> block?

I would like to resize all video above 480p for some of the low end Android devices I have around.

As a side question, what does "isRequired" mean in this block? I think that set to true and the video exceeds the condition then it won;t let you play it, but what does false do? If false lets it through why have the condition at all?

<ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="Width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />

• 3 weeks later...

Good questions. I apologize I don't know the definitive answer, but I'll give you my take on it.

Taken from system profile for Xbox One:
<TranscodingProfile container="ts" type="Video" videoCodec="h264" audioCodec="aac" estimateContentLength="false" enableMpegtsM2TsMode="false" transcodeSeekInfo="Auto" context="Streaming" />

The above says, failing direct play and failing to 'trick' the player into direct play with a response profile, transcode all remaining video files into ts containers using h264 video and aac audio. The other options (estimateContentLength, etc) are almost always as is, except for a few corner cases I cannot recall.

Also from Xbox One profile:
 <CodecProfile type="Video" codec="h264">
      <Conditions>
        <ProfileCondition condition="NotEquals" property="IsAnamorphic" value="true" isRequired="false" />
        <ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="VideoBitDepth" value="8" isRequired="false" />
        <ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="Width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />
        <ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="Height" value="1080" isRequired="true" />
        <ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="VideoLevel" value="41" isRequired="false" />
        <ProfileCondition condition="EqualsAny" property="VideoProfile" value="high|main|baseline|constrained baseline" isRequired="false" />
      </Conditions>
    </CodecProfile>

This has the effect of saying the device has the following limits on the h264 video codec:
IsAnamorphic should not equal true, but it is not required to be present in the encode.
VideoBitDepth should be less than equal to 8, but it is not required to be present in the encode.
etc...