How do i fix episode metadata miss match

kempe

I have problems with metadata for episodes on a couple of shows. Its mostly shows that has a name that is ambiguous with another show or for some other reason got miss matched. I have fixed the metadata for the "root" show but episodes are still identified as if it belongs to whatever the "root" show was identified as before i corrected it.

Examples of shows that dont identify episodes correctly are The Flash, Scandal and Homeland. The flash and scandal was first miss matched because I don't use year in my folder names so that was to be expected (My current way of getting the episodes doesn't support that), cant remember what happend to homeland but it was some weird match for that one.

Anyway I have fixed those shows via the "Identify" option in emby-web but the episodes are still not getting the correct metadata i have tried to remove all *.nfo files but after a new scan its still the same "wrong" info in them. I'll include some screen-shot of The Flash 2014 where the episodes for season 1 are matched as episodes from The Flash 1990?

Is there a way to make the episodes metadata correct?

567faa55ea637_theflashshow.png567faaaf86b9a_theflashseason1.png

Koleckai Silvestri

After you have identified and locked the series data, do a refresh at that level in the metadata editor. It should refresh the episodes as well. If not then you will need to refresh each episode manually.

To do it automatically, you should use the auto-organize feature to add the year when the item is added to Emby.

After you have identified and locked the series data, do a refresh at that level in the metadata editor. It should refresh the episodes as well. If not then you will need to refresh each episode manually.

To do it automatically, you should use the auto-organize feature to add the year when the item is added to Emby.

Is there a way to do that without using the rest of the auto-organize features because I'm already using another tool for auto organization that puts files in /children/show-name, /mine/show-name, /wife/show-name, /following/show-name and /other/show-name based on some trakt lists i have.

Anyway I tried again to update show info from metadata editor, by locking the show and then by just locking certain fields but no luck, for some reason there is a crash when i update the show. Don't know if it got anything to do with failing to match the episodes but i will include a log

http://pastebin.com/5MMBTAnN

Edited by kempe

Koleckai Silvestri

Auto-Organize is all or nothing. The system works best with the year in the series title. 

Curious what happens if both you and your wife watch the same show? Do you have two copies of it?

Auto-Organize is all or nothing. The system works best with the year in the series title. 

Curious what happens if both you and your wife watch the same show? Do you have two copies of it?

No that would be what following or others(shows we see but not regularly every week) would be for

I can not believe that it is this hard to fix a miss-matched show.. I will have to see if i can do anything about my other tools so i get (2014) or whatever added to my folder names or else i will have to use kodi library at home and only use emby when I'm out and about. Maybe should give plex another try but plexBMC was not that good last time i tried it and i dont like that project but we will see... Thanks anyway

No it doesn't. I have tried it multiple times before and i tried it again now. Identify fixes the show so it gets the correct synopsis, air time, name and whatever but the episodes for season 1 is still named after the 90s flash and has the plot of the 90s flash episodes also it fails completely to match episodes in season 2 to anything probably because 90s flash only was one season :). I have not checked the debug log for Identify but i will do it tonight and see if anything jumps out at me

jpimlott

I am having a similar problem with charlie's angels (1976). Episodes that are two parts throws off the episode count number. Season 2 is off by 2 shows. 

IMDB shows as them as one episode but 2 parts.

I wants to add info from the 2011 version of the show as well.

Koleckai Silvestri

The system doesn't use IMDB's database. It gets Episode numbers from thetvdb.org. If you have a video that contains two episodes, you should denote that in the name of the video. I use a format like this"

series_name.SXXEYYEZZ.episode_name(s) - XX is the season number, YY is the first episode,ZZ is the second.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming

Koleckai Silvestri

No it doesn't. I have tried it multiple times before and i tried it again now. Identify fixes the show so it gets the correct synopsis, air time, name and whatever but the episodes for season 1 is still named after the 90s flash and has the plot of the 90s flash episodes also it fails completely to match episodes in season 2 to anything probably because 90s flash only was one season :). I have not checked the debug log for Identify but i will do it tonight and see if anything jumps out at me

After you have manually identified the Series, you have to Refresh it in the Metadata Editor or manually refresh every episode under it. It doesn't happen automatically.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

if you use the identify feature it should auto-correct every episode, so if that's not happening then that needs to be looked into. that's why i asked for his folder structure so that i could test the same example.

if you use the identify feature it should auto-correct every episode, so if that's not happening then that needs to be looked into. that's why i asked for his folder structure so that i could test the same example.

Did not see you asking for folder structure :P but it is like this. (I will keep using flash as an example)

- Video

- Series

- Following

- Arrow

- Bates Motel

- The Flash

- Season 1

- The Flash - S01E02 - Fastest Man Alive - 1080p webdl h264 dd5.1.mkv (Identified as: E2 - Out of Control)

- The Flash - S01E23 - Fast Enough - 1080p webdl h264 dd5.1.mkv (Identified as: not at all, just the same name as the filename with 1080p and everything)

- Season 2

Koleckai Silvestri

If you change the filename for episode 23 to the following does it identify properly?

The Flash - S01E23 - Fast Enough [1080p webdl h264 dd5.1].mkv

-------

Actually scratch that. Your series is identified incorrectly. You're identified with the older Flash series and not the new one.

Old - http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=78650&seasonid=15394&lid=7

New - http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=279121&lid=7

By adding the start year of the series to the Series folder, you can probably prevent this issue. e.g. The Flash (2014)

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

primecut

The show is called The Flash (2014) on tvdb, which is why your episode names are wrong and Episode 23 & season 2 does not get identified, since the original Flash Series only had 22 episodes. 

You can try renaming the series folder to The Flash (2014), in case emby checks this hierarchy, otherwise renaming the episodes toThe Flash (2014) should fix it 100%

Edited by primecut

If you change the filename for episode 23 to the following does it identify properly?

The Flash - S01E23 - Fast Enough [1080p webdl h264 dd5.1].mkv

-------

Actually scratch that. Your series is identified incorrectly. You're identified with the older Flash series and not the new one.

Old - http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=78650&seasonid=15394&lid=7

New - http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=279121&lid=7

By adding the start year of the series to the Series folder, you can probably prevent this issue. e.g. The Flash (2014)

The Show is called The Flash (2014) on tvdb, which is why your episode names are wrong and Episode 23 does not get identified, since the original Flash Series only had 22 episodes

Yes i know that they are identified with the older flash series, I mention that in the first post.

And i know that the new flash is named The Flash (2014) but i think that since I have manually identifed the show as The Flash (2014) via the Identify option in the metadata manager the episodes should also be corrected 

Edited by kempe

Koleckai Silvestri

It can be finicky. I would suspect that the external ID for those episodes is still wrong.

Whenever I have an issue like this, I rename the Series folder with the year, do a complete refresh in the metadata manager and everything is fixed after it goes through its scan. After that, everything for that episode just works.

Yes I believe you, but as I said before that is not a viable option for me right now. Also according to Luke's comment above i shouldn't have to. Thanks anyway

primecut

Sorry just re-read the thread.

It seems like emby treats every episode independently from the parent series metadata when identifying. Since there is no identify button on season/episode level (at least not for me) this makes fixing such errors without renaming the files difficult. Changing the ID in the metadata manager didn't work for me, since it defaulted back to the identified value after refreshing. If that is intended behaviour or not and can be changed is for Luke to say. 

In the meantime what tool are you using to organize your files? 

That's not true. any episode underneath a series folder is assumed to be part of that series. that is why there is no identify function for episodes because you just need to handle it at the series level.

primecut

I just tried to replicate this problem on my machine. Created a new The Flash folder and moved an episode The Flash S01E02 - Fastest Man Alive.mkv into it, identifying it as the 1990 series. After using the identify option to change it to the 2014 version, the season and episode data was refreshed correctly. Sooo no idea why this isn't working for OP :(

Seriously, it worked for you? What platform are you using? I'm using linux(docker), I'm thinking that it might be a platform specific problem. If you are using win or mac i could test what happens on that platform. In the meantime i will try removing flash from the library re-adding it and see if i can make it work.

I'm using flexget for organization, but its the way i use it with search, trakt-list and strip_dates that makes (YEAR) not a viable option. Without strip_dates i sometimes don't get the episode because it can not be found

Edited by kempe

primecut

I'm on Windows 7. Emby Version 3.0.5847.38020 (latest dev). Metadata is completely handled by emby, no nfo files or anything. 

What i just realised looking at your screenshots: Only the episode names and (presumably) synopsis are wrong aren't they? The episode thumbnails, which also come from thetvdb, are correct for the 2014 version.

Is your metadata language set to english or swedish? (googling avsnitt tells me you are swedish I assume?). The TVDB lists the 2014 version of the flash just as "The Flash" for swedish, not The Flash (2014), altough the IDs are the same. Maybe thats messing with the scraping of data
Edited by primecut

I'm using latest stable: Version 3.0.5784.0, with nfo files and i have metadata language set as english and country as US(but yes I'm from sweden)

I tried the same as you (just one episode) still no dice. I also tried to turn off nfo files but it was still created... will look in to that

Update:

I was able to disable nfo files but that did not help either. also to fix metadata for the show i have to remove all information about the show except name in metadata editor and save that before using identify or it wont get updated at all :(

Edited by kempe

NomadCF

I believe I'm seeing the same issue on a new linux (Debian) emby server setup. Although this is *NOT* happening on my windows emby servers. 

** In my case all my servers share the same storage shares. So I would image that if one server correctly identified the EP and saved that data into a nfo (or xml). That the other servers would just use that. But this issue makes me think otherwise. 

post-28869-0-84888200-1452084130_thumb.jpg

post-28869-0-97391900-1452084133_thumb.jpg

I don't think it is a platform specific problem but, rather version-specific for the server.

I had some episodes do this and no amount of refreshing would fix it.  I just refreshed them again now with the dev server and they were fixed.

• Like 1