Editing Collections

Smitty018210
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Smitty018210

Hello, first I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season!

I just have a quick question for everyone. There used to be a quick and easy way to add and remove items from collections in the metadata editor. I was wondering why it was removed. It made it so easy to add and remove items from collections. Using the search function was awesome. Now that I am doing manually it is taking for ever. I know there is an "auto collections plugin" which I've used before, but it keeps adding collections I don't want or adding items to collections I don't want. Is there a chance the metadata editor search function for collections might return? Thanks for the help.

Deathsquirrel

You can do it from the main movie screen now.  Just click the three dots and select add to colection.  No need to go to the metadata editor.

I recommend running the plugin once and then removing it.  That way most collections get created and from then on it's easy to manage manually with no risk of stupid changes that sometimes go live on TMDB messing up your collections.

Smitty018210

@Deathsquirrel

Yeah I'm that's is what I meant by doing manually. The old metadata search function you could for example search for say Batman and it would list all of the movie, tv series, music or ect with Batman in the title and you could add them to your collection. Very quick, very easy. Now, not so much. But thanks for the help.

Edited by Smitty018210

• Solution

This is still there, it's just been blended into the regular search. You can easily search for content and add them to collections using the search and multi-select features.

• Like 2

I don't see how it's not as quick because you can do it anytime from any screen whereas before you had to drill all the way down to the metadata manager.

Smitty018210

I have to guess the issue is on my side, but multi-select doesn't always seem to respond well. Or at all from the times I have tired using thus far. I have tired both Firefox and Chrome, as well as three different mouses. I do a lot of manual editing of metadata so I'm in the editor all the time so it's not like I had to look very hard for it before. I'm glad to have found out this new way because my PC crashed a few months back, and I am slowly trying to put it back together. Thanks again for the help as always Luke. Happy Holidays.

• 1 year later...
funwithmedia

Related to this: How does one perform a multi-select (ie, select multiple movies to then Add to a Collection all at once)? I am using the Emby Server browser interface (Firefox, 50.1.0) and the Windows Desktop Emby Theater interface, and I can't seem to ever select more than one item at a time (or I just end up entering the details screen of a given item).

Latchmor

Related to this: How does one perform a multi-select (ie, select multiple movies to then Add to a Collection all at once)? I am using the Emby Server browser interface (Firefox, 50.1.0) and the Windows Desktop Emby Theater interface, and I can't seem to ever select more than one item at a time (or I just end up entering the details screen of a given item).

Left click and hold then after you select others there's a 3 dot menu top right.

• Like 2

funwithmedia

Oh that's very cool -- thanks!  Looks like this doesn't work yet in Emby Theater, but I can live with that as I'm likely to be on the sever anyway if I'm doing this kind of editing.

Might be nice to have "Select All" / "Unselect All" options in that top right 3 dot menu at some point.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

I just edit the XML files directly. I find it easier than the new multi-select method.

• Like 1

Good day,

As Latchmor said, another steps to do it in difference way, go to a title with left mouse click and hold till you see green banner come out and all the titles on a page been with a selected box (top left) on them, select, then notice on the green banner "x" with number of titles you selcted, go to another page and do the same, the "x" will rise the count, till you done.

Then to the top banner at right, click on the 3 dot and select add to collection, here either new collection or old one.

My best

• Like 1

funwithmedia

Thanks for those suggestions -- very helpful! I have a related thread I'd welcome input on, if any of you have additional thoughts:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43307-transitioning-to-emby-how-to-programmatically-add-many-items-to-collections/

For that thread I suspect I'll have to go the route of editing the collections.xml file (read the thread as to why I'm not using multi-select in that particular case), but I'd love to find an additional way using .NFO files.

• 3 weeks later...
lifespeed

Not to ask a dumb question, but I am new to collections.  Is there a semi-automated way to add collections based on subfolders within the library folder?

funwithmedia

I'm a new user as well, but my impression is that there is a legacy way of doing that (maybe with folders with [boxset] in the name?), but I think it is not recommended (and maybe not supported long-term -- don't quote me on that though). What I have observed in the forum is that the recommended way going forward is to add items to Collections through a Emby interface. If you're using the webapp for Emby Server there's a super-nifty multi-select ability which makes adding multiple items to a Collection pretty painless (unless you are adding a whole bunch, but even then you might be able to filter down to the list of what you're wanting to make it easier to add everything, especially once "Select All" is functionality is added, which is probably coming at some point in the future).

You probably also want to have a look at the Auto-boxsets plugin -- I've not used it myself, but it might get you a long ways to what you're wanting. :)

lifespeed

To be more clear, these subfolders have shorts, clips, home videos, etc that won't reliably be found in online databases, like the Lord of the Rings boxset or Harry Potter.  Ideally I would like to edit or add/subtract files from these folders and have them appear or disappear from the collection just based on the files existence in the folder.  Probably not something Emby can deal with?

Edited by lifespeed

Happy2Play

To be more clear, these subfolders have shorts, clips, home videos, etc that won't reliably be found in online databases, like the Lord of the Rings boxset or Harry Potter.  Ideally I would like to edit or add/subtract files from these folders and have them appear or disappear from the collection just based on the files existence in the folder.  Probably not something Emby can deal with?

Sort of, you can put them in a folder called extras if you want them to be seen.  If you have content in a subfolder you don't want Emby to see you can add a file  ".ignore." and Emby will ignore the contents of that folder.

Edited by Happy2Play

lifespeed

Looks like setting the media type to "home video" works well, no collection required. Just shows the folder name, click to navigate the contents.