Rebuilding my HTPC with Windows 10 or Server... questions?

Shyatic

So I have a Ceton card on a Windows 8.1 Media Center PC. I don't watch recorded TV much any more due to the ability for me to stream from apps (like AMC, Showtime, HBO, etc). I will likely cut the cord entirely when I'm given the ability to do so (and when things like SlingTV and Windows 10 seems like an inevitability soon.

My setup is Roku boxes at every TV, and also an XBox One (which I think we'll see support for soonish). I have a Ceton card that works fine to record through Media Center, but getting less and less use of the Xbox 360 extender now seems that I should look to make a switch, especially since I'd like to get onto Windows 10.

I have tried to watch live TV using ServerWMC without much luck, it's generally kind of spotty and laggy despite having a gigabit connection to every PC. I'm not sure what the reason is, and I'm half tempted to buy a HDHomerun just to make it native to the Emby platform.

So the question is this... what's the best way to migrate my server, if I'm going with Windows 10 and losing the DVR ability? As I said, I don't watch TV often but would like to easily be able to watch CNN or something, especially if I have company over and it is complicated for them to figure out the Xbox set up I have.

Appreciate any advice; I have a reasonably powerful machine so I'm not worried about that, and recording TV is a minor issue since I use most of the apps to cover that need. Should I use my Ceton card and figure out how to make it work? Should I just get an HDHomerun card and make my life easy to integrate with the Emby platform? If I stick with the Ceton, should I use DVBLink, or NextPVR? I'm in the US if that helps anything.

Thanks again for all the help!

AgileHumor

Nothing will be as fast as WMC, and from a feature perspective, not much to gain on Win 10. I'd hold out to Sling TV supported on Roku...and just turn off the WMC. I just don't thing Emby will allow rapid channel changes for a while.

Don't have experience with HD homerun, but pretty sure there will be a lot of lag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Deihmos

I am assuming you are using a cable card since you mentioned CNN. Some channels are copy once and wouldn't work on anything but wmc and the hdhomerun android app. I have tried many different software and nothing works nearly as good as wmc. I am staying with Windows 8.1 just for wmc.

Cnn was copy free for me up to just recently.

Edited by Deihmos

Nothing will be as fast as WMC, and from a feature perspective, not much to gain on Win 10. I'd hold out to Sling TV supported on Roku...and just turn off the WMC. I just don't thing Emby will allow rapid channel changes for a while.

Don't have experience with HD homerun, but pretty sure there will be a lot of lag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sling is supported on Roku, it just doesn't have support for multiple streams at the same time, has lots of lag, etc.. I don't care about "fast channel switching" -- just the ability to watch TV on the occasion I might want to :)