PS4 app

skank

Dizzy49

Hi, it seems to be fine here. Double check that you have an active internet connection and that the ps4 software is fully up to date. Enjoy.

Software is up to date, and Google.com comes up just fine in the PS4 browser.

Hmm, it seems to be fine here. Double check that the url bar says tv.emby.media. Perhaps it's just the wrong address. Thanks !

Dizzy49

Hmm, it seems to be fine here. Double check that the url bar says tv.emby.media. Perhaps it's just the wrong address. Thanks !

It was, I even had it book marked.  I rebooted the PS4 and now it's working.  Looks like it logged me in by default, would be nice if it would ask for the user so my kids could use their own accounts.

Great news. I've pushed an update for Emby Theater on Sony PS4. The Live TV Guide layout issues have been resolved and the guide is now equivalent to what you see on other platforms. Enjoy.

• 2 months later...
vesati

Any update on whether or not there will be a native PS4 app for Emby Theater?

The web version works well enough, but having a native app would really complete the "home theater experience" when using a PS4 to access my Emby instance.

• 5 weeks later...
zigzagtshirt

I can't get this to connect to my server - I believe it's because I'm using a letsencrypt certificate and the PS4 doesn't have the correct CA certificate installed for that to be trusted. Normally the PS4 browser would prompt you to continue past an untrusted certificate, but I believe because the connection is being made in the background using JavaScript that does not happen.

I've done some digging and it seems you can't import certificates into the PS4 certificate store; but to be fair it's not really a topic that shows up much in search results. I'm surprised that this has not been raised by other people as I would imagine most people would be using the default self signed certificate with Emby.

I was about to start a thread on this issue.  Glad I found your post first. 

I tried connecting to my server on a PS4 while at a family member's house.  Tried many times but kept getting the "unable to connect to server" error message.  I am also using a letsencypt certificate.

@@Luke is a fix possible? 

Try http. We have no control over this on the PS4. If using SSL you will need to make sure your SSL cert is something the PS4 will accept.

zigzagtshirt

Try http. We have no control over this on the PS4. If using SSL you will need to make sure your SSL cert is something the PS4 will accept.

Thought so.  Thanks for the reply.

• 1 month later...
Dizzy49

I wanted to report in.

After the update I was able to connect with my PS4 and I haven't had many playback issues.  (It's my son's so he doesn't tell me much, but he complains a lot when something DOESN'T work) :D

I also was able to connect remotely from my friend's PS4 .  Only tried one video, but no playback issues.

• 4 weeks later...
hjason7812

you don't need to do anything server-side. the ps4 dlna media player works well with emby

actually it doesn't, the media play on the ps4  is garbage that the ps4 has and it makes videos out of synce and music has popping and static in it.

It's not emby that is doing it it is in fact the media player on the ps4 that is the culprit.

• 2 months later...

Some new features headed up:

- An expanded set of general playback settings. Specifically, some new settings are available for your enjoyment:

• Quality settings are now broken out into three - home network video quality, internet streaming quality, and internet streaming quality for music

- The "enable next video info" setting is now exposed in Emby Theater.

Have fun.

• 1 month later...

To @@denz and our other international friends, there's a new display setting that will allow you to have a separate datetime format setting from the display language. 

59f623129d036_Untitled.png

Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

You'll notice the movie list and tv list screens have a new 3-dot button. this is the beginnings of a view menu for that screen that will allow you to customize and make it your own. the settings will be saved on the server which means they will work across multiple installations.

For example @@AdrianW, you'll be able to hide the movie titles from under the posters if that's what you prefer.

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
Ingolfius

@@Luke, is there a chance to create a native App for the ps4 like all the other systems. Your website tells that there is a Emby TV App for ps4 available, but thats not the truth. Every ps4 user has to use the internal browser with emby theater to get the emby feeling. Every other system has an native app, but the ps4 with million of users doesn´t get one?

Edited by Ingolfius

It's a possibility for the future. In the meantime what we're offering does work very well. Thanks !

Ingolfius

I don't think so. Ps4-user must buy Emby Theater to use it like on other devices. And its the only device where user Are forced to buy a licence.

Edited by Ingolfius

• 1 month later...

If the interface is laggy it's not because it's a web app, it's due to the fact that app will often load too much data.

That's something we are working on improving and it has nothing to do with what technology the app is built with.

shocker

If the interface is laggy it's not because it's a web app, it's due to the fact that app will often load too much data.

That's something we are working on improving and it has nothing to do with what technology the app is built with.

Oh, cool. Thank you for the feedback!

• 3 weeks later...

Never got emby on PS4 too work.

Will there be an app soon? Like other have?

What happened when you tried it?