Possible to exclude home videos?

lazyboy0172

If you have content that you really don't want to even be visible in Kodi at all, make a separate user account specifically for that content.

For example, I have a 'Kids' emby user which only has access to kids libraries. I have a 'Test' user which only has access to whatever library/content I am currently experimenting with for whatever reason.

For content you want segregated but not omitted, as others said, use the emby addon library shortcuts in your skin rather than the native kodi library shortcuts. I understand that this is not really made clear, though... takes a while to figure that out on your own if you haven't read it anywhere.

• Like 1

xnappo

Agreed.  We really need a better guide on how to do shortcuts for the most popular skins.

It would be easier if it didn't depend on the skin.

CBers

Kodi only knows TV shows and movies, so they are added as movies, but there are tags to separate out the collections. The only issue is that if you look at the Kodi 'All Movies' node, you get all movies... But that doesn't cause any actual problems other than people not knowing how the addon operates.

If Home Videos are set up in Emby as Home Videos, then they shouldn't be added as Movies, unless the user has grouped Home Videos in the Emby Server Movies view.

There needs to be some sort of separation.

xnappo

Sigh. 

Let me try one more time.

Kodi doesn't have any way to do that.  It only knows 'Movies' or 'TV Shows' or 'Music'.  We have to add them as one of those things.

Therefore, if you go into the KODI All Movies node (which you should NOT use to be Emby-like) then you will see all movies.  Native Kodi doesn't know about views, home videos or anything else.

If you go into the EMBY FOR KODI All Movies node, it will be as specified by your views and won't contain 'Home Movies'.

Use the Emby nodes.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

CBers

Sigh.

Sigh.

The Emby for Kodi addon should NOT add Home Videos as Movies, as in Emby Server they should be set up as Content Type = Home Videos.

If someone wants them added as Movies, then they should be set up in Emby Server as Movies.

You cannot assume that just because someone has Home Videos in Emby, that they want them added to Kodi as Movies.

Alternatively, you should ask a question to see if the user wants Home Videos added to Kodi as Movies upon the first sync/database reset.

xnappo

Don't use the Kodi nodes, and you don't have this problem.

The Kodi nodes are WRONG to use, they don't know about any of your Emby view settings.

Don't use them.  They will not reflect your Emby setup in many ways.

If you don't want something synced to the database, don't set it up for that user.

We need to make this clear - because just adding a question regarding 'Home Movies' will then lead to 'Why are my Kids movies showing up in All Movies?' - it is an issue with the addon being used incorrectly, and people just need to know they need to use the Emby nodes.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

CBers

OK @@xnappo, you're getting too technical with Kodi nodes :)

I don't have Home Videos in Emby, but the OP was asking if it was "Possible to exclude home videos?", but it now seems that someone has taken a decision to add Home Videos as Movies to Kodi.

IMHO, I think that's wrong, especially if the user isn't aware of the change and possible consequences.

xnappo

They are labeled as 'Home Movies', you just have to know that in Kodi if you ask for all movies, that includes Home Movies and Hollywood movies.

There are separate pointers we create to have them presented as specified on the server, and those should be used instead of the Kodi 'all movies' link.

If you don't want the user to be able to see them at all, then you just don't add them for that user on the server.

Knowing @@Angelblue05 - an option will probably get added - but if people are using the Kodi 'all movies' link - they are using it wrong and it will not match the server view configuration.

Edited by xnappo

xnappo

Right, and Kodi doesn't have such a content type.

Why would someone set up a Home Videos folder they didn't want to use?  Again, this is just an issue of educating how to use the addon.

The Emby Views in Kodi look just like the Emby Views on the server.  It is just that there is a way to see things in the database outside of the views we create that should not be used.

Edited by xnappo

CBers

So why was it decided to sync them as Movies then ??

Any videos I take on my phone/camera, which you could class as home videos I guess, are stored with my photos in my Photos library and they are accessible via most, if not all, of the Emby clients.

im85288

Fwiw, I also think it should be an opt in feature. The majority of users of Kodi do not change the skin defaults to point at Emby nodes (that's more of an advanced configuration). Have the out of the box functionality work as it used to and allow users who choose to sync their home videos to mess around with Emby nodes etc. It's a nice feature but shouldn't mess with the standard out of the box experience.

xnappo

The Kodi object type is 'Movie' because there is no 'Home Video' object in Kodi.  But there is no 'Kids Movie' object type either.

The Emby for Kodi addon uses tags to give the Emby level of granularity to the objects, and creates a structure matching the Emby Views using these tags.

If the user uses the structure we set up to reflect the Emby server view setup, then it will work as expected.

If they sync the library, but use the native Kodi links, they are using it wrong and what they get will not reflect the server config -  in MANY ways, not just home videos.

Again, adding it as an option is fine, but it is important that we document enough for users understand how it is meant to work too.

Edited by xnappo

Angelblue05

When I was implementing home videos, I was going to do it the plugin way (dynamically load) but I changed my mind - thinking perhaps some users with large library, may also have a lot of content type home videos and dynamically load a large library would probably be really slow (using Home videos for all of their "unsorted" content, as well as personal content). I was against using different approach for what I consider should be part of the video library (I wanted to avoid using plugin approach here, import there...) I thought the whole point of the add-on was to integrate emby into the Kodi database. Maybe I was wrong in taking the import approach...

But honestly, Kodi creates default shortcuts for tvshows and movies. I don't see people complaining their tvshows are bunched up. It's not like it's a foreign concept to point to your Emby shortcuts. They are there for a reason, I even went that extra mile and have playlists automatically created for their Emby user view.... Anyway. Nothing is set in stone at this point, the approach can be changed. I just want what's best in the long run.

If we decide to keep the same approach, then this FR will come into play to "skip" home videos from syncing: https://trello.com/c/3id4kr0k/27-add-option-to-blacklist-not-monitor-specific-views

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Is there a way to make it so when you install a skin from the emby repository (for example, I run Arctic: Zephyr Exploded which I installed from the emby repository) that the skin shortcuts are already set up by default to use the emby shortcuts and not the Kodi nodes? Would probably save some people some headaches. If the skin is being installed from the emby repository, I would assume it was set up to actually work WITH emby from the get go, right?

Angelblue05

Is there a way to make it so when you install a skin from the emby repository (for example, I run Arctic: Zephyr Exploded which I installed from the emby repository) that the skin shortcuts are already set up by default to use the emby shortcuts and not the Kodi nodes? Would probably save some people some headaches. If the skin is being installed from the emby repository, I would assume it was set up to actually work WITH emby from the get go, right?

I would really like to see this happen someday. I've always wanted to set the shortcuts automatically for users. Trust me I've looked for ways...hah :). However, we can't do it from the add-on itself, unless I missed something. It has to be done skin side so the result will vary for sure... Maybe there's something Marcelveldt can do with his script skin helper, however it's entirely up to him and that's even if it can be done...

im85288

No it's not possible, and even if it were not all skins use it (eg the default confluence skin). That's why the default out of the box experience should be as close to Kodi as possible

Angelblue05

If users were to use Kodi only, they would get the same result as it is set right now. Home videos being scraped a basic movie entries. They would have their home videos in their movies. And they'd use the Home videos kodi tag to separate their content  :)

Edited by Angelblue05

jluce50

I'll consider it, however it's really simple to keep your home videos separate from your movies. Just don't use the Kodi shortcut, instead point the home shortcut to use the Emby Movies view.

Sorry, I'm a little late to the party. It's not just the Kodi shortcut, though. There is other functionality, like the "Recommended" widget, that is affected and there's no Emby equivalent. At the end of the day, my opinion is that Kodi simply doesn't play well with home videos (of whatever type ;)) in this context and trying to shoehorn them in negatively impacts the user experience. In most cases I think it makes sense to conform to the limitations of the client, especially when the user experience takes a hit. Sometimes getting too creative with workarounds isn't a good idea.

Was this something that was requested by users? I wonder if it would be worth taking a poll and seeing what users' feelings are about this...

Edited by jluce50

xnappo

@@Angelblue05 - while I have tried to describe how and why this was done - personally I think it would be better implemented like channels (aka like the old add on).  It will be fast enough as home videos have very little metadata.

@@jluce50 - yeah this has been a highly requested feature, so we need to figure out the best way to support it.

Edited by xnappo

jluce50

@@jluce50 - yeah this has been a highly requested feature, so we need to figure out the best way to support it.

Ah, okay. Well I'm all for it then, I just hope there's a way to do it without degrading the experience for those of us who don't want it.

Angelblue05

Well whichever approach, it can be adjusted. If we want the channel approach, then it shall be. :) I'll start to convert it tonight. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Trello card: https://trello.com/c/D2buSEij/192-convert-home-videos-to-channel-approach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...