Should I purchase a "Roku TV"? Does it work well with Emby?

alwayzsonny

alwayzsonny

Hello,

I currently use Emby with my Roku 3 box, AND I LOVE IT ! ! 

I will be needing a new TV soon and am considering buying a TLC Roku TV (a TV with built-in Roku).
[ This one for example ]

I am curious if anyone has any input/info to offer about TVs with built-in Roku (and how well, or concerns of them working with Emby.

I'm hoping it acts as well as my separate Roku3 box.

Any info is appreciated.

Edited by alwayzsonny

legallink

My opinion is I wouldn't.  I'm a roku user and we like the roku on the whole, but I think they will slowly be edged out of the market.  If you switch out tv's often, then maybe it is worth it, but I like to buy a nice tv and keep it for a while.  I'm still running a several year old 1080p plasma and still love it.

Koleckai Silvestri

I would not purchase a Roku television either. They are already old technology and you can't upgrade either component without upgrading both. While it may cost more, purchasing a television and a Roku separately will give you the best benefit and future upgrade potential.

kingstonian

Purchased one of these...http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/insignia-insignia-32-1080p-60hz-led-smart-roku-tv-ns-32dr420ca16-ns-32dr420ca16/10358104.aspx?path=e686ab201bc9000c5f8a7c481965a4a3en02 just a few months ago for the bedroom, I must say we have been very happy with it.

Not so sure I would buy a 50+ screen with the Roku built in, would tend to use one of the boxes for that...

justdrooit

Yeah the TV will usually outlive the media player, or SmartTV functionality. Generally best to buy the best spec'ed (bang for the buck) HDTV you can afford and get a media player separate. I have both Roku and FireTV and if you'd like to know which I prefer while using Emby, it would be the FireTV.

Roku, to its credit, is a more media neutral player, but there is less for Emby to work with as I don't believe it has VLC player.

The Fire TV does tend to push Amazon content on you a bit much, but runs on Android and, as a result, makes it a little easier to get things running on it (particularly sideloading Android apps if you like that sort of thing). Also there's an Android native VLC player which the latest Emby client will use. Now if you get it's little brother instead, the FireTV Stick, you'll need to disable the VLC player. It's a great device as well, I promise, but it just doesn't have quite enough oomph to push somethings natively through VLC.

If you've got the bucks though, get the nVidia Shield. It's probably the most powerful media device for TV available and may even have you pitching your home theater pc out the window.