Joined Libraries: How to Avoid TV Series Duplication?

Tanamur

Tanamur

Windows Server: Version 3.0.5781.8

Hi Forum - 

I have been looking at Settings>Home Page>My Views to solve a "wish list" item that I brought up quite a while ago.

Historically, I have organized my TV Series collections by container format, for example:

TV Series (AVI)

\Series A

\Season 01

\Season 02

TV Series (MKV)

\Series A

\Season 03

\Season 04

When I add both of these folder paths to a library I get a duplication of the series rather than merging/displaying all seasons under the single series.

I thought by selecting TV Series in My Views (Automatically group content from the following folders into views such as Movies, Music and TV:) that this would be negated. Have I misunderstood the setting or is there another way to avoid the duplication other than mixing season container formats under the same "Series A" folder?

Thanks, @Tanamur

Deathsquirrel

All episodes of a show need to be in the same folder structure, preferably broken out by seasons for ease of management on disc.  Separate folders like you have won't work.  You can store them your way and use junction points to make it look like they're in the same folder though that seems tedious to me.

Or use drive-pooling software but that may not even help you in your specific case.

Why on earth do you separate them by file format?

Tanamur

Or use drive-pooling software but that may not even help you in your specific case.

Why on earth do you separate them by file format?

@@ebr - It is a legacy database aspect from previously using extenders (HP x280n) that would not play all containers before moving to streaming devices like Roku and AFTV. I have over 350 series still in AVI format and other ongoing series with seasons in AVI, MKV and MP4 containers. I will look at converting the AVI's to a more current container as time permits. I would rather not mix the seasons under a common series folder at this time.

I am not a database expert in any way but I thought if multiple seasons (in different folders or on different disks) added to a common library also had a common parent (series name) that the seasons would appear under the common parent rather than duplicating that parent (series).  

Vidman

@@ebr - It is a legacy database aspect from previously using extenders (HP x280n) that would not play all containers before moving to streaming devices like Roku and AFTV. I have over 350 series still in AVI format and other ongoing series with seasons in AVI, MKV and MP4 containers. I will look at converting the AVI's to a more current container as time permits. I would rather not mix the seasons under a common series folder at this time.

I am not a database expert in any way but I thought if multiple seasons (in different folders or on different disks) added to a common library also had a common parent (series name) that the seasons would appear under the common parent rather than duplicating that parent (series).

Well you thought wrong:)

Tanamur

Well you thought wrong:)

Well, even with a smiley face on the end, you still come across as having had too many eggnogs.

You might want to read up on this discussion from a couple of years ago suggesting the feature was on the "to be added" list.

Also, there are other products that do manage series/seasons in the way I have described and it is quite beneficial for all of the reasons I have described. 

Deathsquirrel

You can post a feature request in the appropriate forum.  I wouldn't personally expect them to spend time on supporting a one-off organizational structure with a simple fix nut meybe there's tons of pent-up demand and it'll go on the list.

Vidman
Vidman

Well, even with a smiley face on the end, you still come across as having had too many eggnogs.

You might want to read up on this discussion from a couple of years ago suggesting the feature was on the "to be added" list.

Also, there are other products that do manage series/seasons in the way I have described and it is quite beneficial for all of the reasons I have described. 

that discussion is from 1 years ago and does not suggest that it is on the "to be added" list