Custom DLNA profile

amotto11

amotto11

All,

I have 90%of my movie collection in Video_TS folders which contain all of the vob, bup, and ifo files (the other 10% is in MKV, avi, or MP4). They play great on the emby mobile apps, and on the web, but they are not playing on my samsung TV's, the vobs that is. Therefore i think what i have to do is create a custom DLNA profile for my tv's, correct me if im wrong. I tried to do this for my upstairs samsung tv, but i don't even know where to begin, i tried a couple of things, but to no avail. Can someone help me get started setting up a profile that will transcode my video_ts folders/vobs to mkv or another compatible container. Thank you in advance for any guidance you may give me.

the first step before you even worry about profile creation is to lean the exact formats supported by the tv so that we can choose the right transcoding format

amotto11

Luke, Thank you very much for your time. I will start with my upstairs tv and i think if i can get one i may be able to get the other on my own. My upstairs TV model number is UN65JU7100FXZA and the page from the manual is attached so that you may see the video formats, as i am not familiar with this stuff. It looks like all of my formats are playable on my tv, but they are not playing. The TV does not support the app, because it is newer, so i am in the my content portion of the tv. What is interesting is that when viewing the content, all of the pictures of the movie posters are showing up, but almost all of the movies and TV shows are showing up with a title ending in .ts even if the format is .mkv. The only file type showing up other than .ts is .avi. Also, the only file type that i am able to play on the TV is .avi, all other file types (.mkv, and Video_TS/vobs) are saying either "An unexpected error has occurred" or "The file you've selected is not currently supported". This may be something i need to ask samsung about, but in the meantime, is there a way to make all of the movies play in the format that is working of .avi?

Again, thank you for your time and consideration.

post-64637-0-46420500-1450875616_thumb.png

it looks like your tv has very broad support so that's a good thing. you could try modeling after the kodi profile

amotto11

That makes sense, i will try that, but how does Emby recognize that it is my TV asking for the movie? in other words how does emby decide which DLNA profile to use? I see there is a section for Information, but there isn't anything where I would enter my tv's IP or anything. I have read other places to use the HTTP header, but i have no idea what that is or where to find it.

You are going to want to look at your servers log file, which is located "Windows OS" in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\logs

Open it with notepad or better yet Notepad++ and search for: UserAgent:

It should look something like this: UserAgent: XBMC/12.3 Git:20131212-9ed3e58 (Linux; Android; 3.0.8+ armv7l; http://www.xbmc.org)

Usually you would just take the first word of that to use in a DLNA profile XML to identify the device, like so:

<Identification>
    <ModelName>XBMC</ModelName>
    <Headers>
      <HttpHeaderInfo name="User-Agent" value="XBMC" match="Substring" />
    </Headers>
  </Identification>

Luke, Thank you very much for your time. I will start with my upstairs tv and i think if i can get one i may be able to get the other on my own. My upstairs TV model number is UN65JU7100FXZA and the page from the manual is attached so that you may see the video formats, as i am not familiar with this stuff. It looks like all of my formats are playable on my tv, but they are not playing. The TV does not support the app, because it is newer, so i am in the my content portion of the tv. What is interesting is that when viewing the content, all of the pictures of the movie posters are showing up, but almost all of the movies and TV shows are showing up with a title ending in .ts even if the format is .mkv. The only file type showing up other than .ts is .avi. Also, the only file type that i am able to play on the TV is .avi, all other file types (.mkv, and Video_TS/vobs) are saying either "An unexpected error has occurred" or "The file you've selected is not currently supported". This may be something i need to ask samsung about, but in the meantime, is there a way to make all of the movies play in the format that is working of .avi?

Again, thank you for your time and consideration.

I would like to have a look at your progress with the custom profile. I'm trying to work one out for my LG TV as well. 

amotto11

I will be working on this more tomorrow. I will let you know if I get it working jonz.

Vector, do you know where the file is located on ubuntu?

amotto11

Vector,

I have 8 files in /var/lib/emby-server/logs

server-63586622637.txt
server-63586684800.txt
server-63586902336.txt
server-63586906582.txt
transcode-6c5ea33e-a142-4f6f-aa55-61be6f623602.txt
transcode-89c7c1dc-6882-49c2-ba71-fabfefc765bc.txt
transcode-a3d11d91-b7af-4b41-b697-50d71a1e6425.txt
transcode-a7122813-98d6-49a3-8dfb-30bd0e034d35.txt

The only ones that have UserAgent in them are the server files, i am not sure how to identify my tv though. When i do a search for samsung within the first file this comes up: UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.1.1; Samsung-SM-G920A Build/LMY47X; wv)...

I have no idea what this means but it is listed many times in the file. I figured the useragent would be something like UserAgent: Samsung...

Am i looking in the right place?

Vector,

I have 8 files in /var/lib/emby-server/logs

server-63586622637.txt
server-63586684800.txt
server-63586902336.txt
server-63586906582.txt
transcode-6c5ea33e-a142-4f6f-aa55-61be6f623602.txt
transcode-89c7c1dc-6882-49c2-ba71-fabfefc765bc.txt
transcode-a3d11d91-b7af-4b41-b697-50d71a1e6425.txt
transcode-a7122813-98d6-49a3-8dfb-30bd0e034d35.txt

The only ones that have UserAgent in them are the server files, i am not sure how to identify my tv though. When i do a search for samsung within the first file this comes up: UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.1.1; Samsung-SM-G920A Build/LMY47X; wv)...

I have no idea what this means but it is listed many times in the file. I figured the useragent would be something like UserAgent: Samsung...

Am i looking in the right place?

Amotto,

Could you turn on your DLNA log and try to connect to Emby with your TV. Off your DLNA log after that, the user agent of your TV will be in there. 

The user agent SM-G920A is your Samsung S6 phone, not the TV

Happy2Play

All logs are maintained in the same place "emby-server/logs", a new one is created every time you start/restart your server and at midnight every night, and maintained for 3 days.

You can open logs via the dashboard also Help-Logs.

amotto11

does it make a difference that i am not using an emby app on my tv? It is a new tv that the app does not work on. I am going into the my content portion of the tv and can see the emby server and all of the movies. Does this show up in the log. There are so many logs and the only useragent i can find in the logs is my samsung phone which i have the app installed on.

Happy2Play

No the app doesn't make a difference.  I have an old C series and use the play to function.  You could shut down your server delete all the logs in the logs folder then start your server and play something on the tv via dlna then post the log.

amotto11

I don't think i can post the entire log, but here is the part with my tv, let me know if you need any other part.

2015-12-30 19:00:59.5664 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://10.198.47.101:8096/dlna/cb5036b9f37542b3e0abeef6230c1735/description.xml. UserAgent: DLNADOC/1.50 SEC_HHP_[TV] Media Room/1.0 UPnP/1.0

I have been advised by luke to convert all of my movies via makemkv so i don't loose any video or audio quality from the original format, so i am in the process of doing that. My problem now is that it appears the server is transcoding all of the movies besides .avi. What i mean by that is if i go into the movies on my tv, they all are titled with .ts at the end of them, everything except for the 3 movies i have that are .avi, and that is how i got this log, i played one that is ends in .avi. I can only play the .avi movies on the tv currently even though some are in .mkv, they still show up as .ts. I went into the DLNA profile for samsung tv, and a lot of others, and it is showing that the transcoding container is .ts. Does this have anything to do with why my movies in .mkv will not play? Also, for my original question, what do i use as my identifier for my tv, so that i can create a custom DLNA profile.

Thanks for all of your help Happy2Play.

Happy2Play

The current "Samsung Smart TV" profile already uses "SEC_" as a Http Header so your tv should be using that profile provided by the server. 

With out logs it is hard to tell what your issue is.  But my best guess since the default profile is limited to 10mb bit rate that may be your issue.  You need to go to DLNA-Profiles-System Profiles-Samsung Smart TV-Info-Playback Settings

-Adjust max streaming bitrate and hit save.  Go back to profiles and you will see your custom profile click on it and rename it to a name of your choice and hit save.  As suggested you will want to modify it to the specs of your tv.

Or as suggested modify the Kodi profile change the Name and http header (SEC_HHP_) hit save, since it is set to try and direct play everything.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Note if you open your TV's description.xml it should give you identifiers for your TV.

Look for you TVs ip address in your log and you should see a description.xml

Might look like this example.

http://192.168.154.211:52235/dmr/SamsungMRDesc.xml

<friendlyName>My TV</friendlyName>
<manufacturer>Samsung Electronics</manufacturer>
<manufacturerURL>http://www.samsung.com</manufacturerURL>
<modelDescription>Samsung DTV DMR</modelDescription>
<modelName>Samsung DTV DMR</modelName>
<modelNumber>1.0</modelNumber>
<modelURL>http://www.samsung.com</modelURL>
<serialNumber>20081224DMR</serialNumber>

You can get away with using specific identifier and not need a http header.  But http headers make it a lot easier and cover more like devices (default profiles).

Edited by Happy2Play

amotto11

Okay, something interesting has happened. here is what i did...

1.) Created a custom DLNA profile by copying the samsung TV one, renamed it a general name, deleting all transcoding profiles, and adding SEC_HHP to my HTTP header. I don't understand the bit rate, so i left that alone.

2.) Shutdown Emby

3.) Deleted all logs

4.) Started Emby

5.) Enabled DLNA Debugging Log

6.) Played a movie on my tv that is .avi

7.) Tried to play a movie that i know is .mkv, but is labeled .ts

When i opened the log files, i had two of them, one transcoding log and one server log. I can post them if you would like, but can you caution me to remove anything that is sensitive in the logs?

In the server log, i see the useragent as my tv, just as before, but there is no description.xml for my tv, the interesting thing is that there is one for my a/v receiver which is hooked up to my tv, The line that caught my eye was "Info Dlna: No matching device profile found. The default will need to be used.", so as a person who is unfamiliar with this, it looks like emby sees my receiver as the thing wanting the movie instead of my tv, so it is transcoding everything to .ts except for the avi files because of the default dlna profile.

In the transcoding log, i can't make out too much other than it showing it is wanting to play the movie that i selected, but i get an error on my tv that it can't play.

Along with posting my log files when i know what, if anything, i should black out, i will try to create a custom profile for my receiver. My question now is why does it see my receiver as trying to pull the movie instead of my tv? The receiver is hooked up backwards compatible to the tv, by that i mean everything is plugged into the receiver, dvd player, cable box, etc. then the receiver out is plugged into the tv via a backwards compatible port. When i play tv through my cable box it goes into my receiver and the picture is sent to the tv and audio, if the receiver is on, sent to the surround sound. If i play something on the tv, like netflix, it is sent from the tv, to the reciever and out the surround sound, granted the receiver is turned on.

I am sorry for the long post, but i thought the more information the better. Thanks for the help!

amotto11

well i tried to make a custom profile for the receiver by using the kodi and deleting all of the transcoding profiles. Then i renamed a general name and gave it new information using the description.xml from the previous log. Still i am seeing all the movies ending in .ts and they will not play on my tv, even though i know some are in .mkv. I am now officially stumped again.

Edited by amotto11

amotto11

Happy2Play,

Thank you so much for that link. It worked. What i had to do was add _[TV] to my http header, like the person in the post did and it worked. Thank you so much.

The only thing now is i have selected a user in my custom DLNA profile, and in that users settings i have selected to not load subtitles by default, but on my tv there are always subtitles. Do you know why this is, i can turn them off on the tv manually, but they are on by default when i play a movie.

• 11 months later...
elpirate

OK so Im having trouble identifying my Telstra T Box on Emby DLNA so I can avoid transcoding.

Ive read through this thread and others but am struggling to work out how I can successfully identify the device.

I have attached my log. The device is at IP address 192.168.0.3 in the log.

There is descriptions there but I haven had any luck with them.

Can anyone help steer me on the right path as of to how I can identify this device?

My jog is attached and below is a screen shot of what I think is a HTML header that I have created.

Thanks in advance!

584fc379b611b_Capture.jpg

DLNA LOG.txt

Edited by elpirate