Streaming over HTTP safe?

Ronnie N

Ronnie N

Hello guys!

I'm new to Emby but I like the program very much! I have one little problem, can't get the HTTPS function to work: the server doesn't generate a SSL certificate.

But that is not my question today. Because my HTTPS is not working, I no stream via HTTP to locations outside my home network. Normally I don't stream a lot, but now, because of the holidays I do stream a lot.

My question, is it safe to stream over HTTP. Because everyone can watch what I'm streaming would I not be marked for piracy or something? Because I'm up-and-downloading files that are protected by copyright.

thanks in advance,

kind regards,

Ronnie van der Woude

Cerothen

It would not be advised especially since your passwords would not be encrypted when they are passed (I don't know if they are hashed).

If you wanted to get it working you could always follow a guide for using openssl to generate a self signed pfx cert to use with emby.

It would not be advised especially since your passwords would not be encrypted when they are passed (I don't know if they are hashed).

They are.  We never send passwords as clear text.

Ronnie N

Thanks for the replies guys! So it would be wise to use an ssl key? But I still wonder how safe it is. Can they prosecute someone because he is streaming media over HTTP?

mjktg99

Thanks for the replies guys! So it would be wise to use an ssl key? But I still wonder how safe it is. Can they prosecute someone because he is streaming media over HTTP?

If you own the media, you can do what you want with it except share it. If you want to stream it to yourself, there is nothing illegal about that. You would just need to show proof of ownership if the issue ever came up.

Koleckai Silvestri

I personally don't consider HTTP safe for anything remotely confidential. Even with hashed passwords, the protocol itself is insecure by its very nature and it is very easy to spoof point of origin via IP address and other technology.

Depends on the legal jurisdiction and the court precedents used. In California, they would have a hard time prosecuting. They have to prove that the person being prosecuted is the person in the chair watching the stream. This often involves warrants, spyware, and surveillance. All of which is made easier with HTTP. HTTPS is better and VPN is best.

If you own the media, you can do what you want with it except share it. If you want to stream it to yourself, there is nothing illegal about that. You would just need to show proof of ownership if the issue ever came up.

This depends on method of purchase and your jurisdiction as well. It is legal to make a backup of DVD and Bluray discs in the US. It is illegal to break any encryption on said discs to do so. It is also illegal to break DRM encryption schemes. That said law enforcement and MPAA resources are better spent on distributors of copies, not streamers.

• 1 year later...
Mikepearse1

Hi m8 wonder if u can help i have Samsung 43 inch series c5500 class I'm in uk it's a Tizen browser install will embedded work or make it better for watching streams?

chef

I had spoken to an IT guy who wrote firewalls for the Bank of Canada. A seemingly important job as it were.

He mentioned that http could be easily interveened with, read, and sent on, with things like mimicked headers, but changes to info. where as the encrypted https could be safer from that kind of interference.

Edited by chef