Plex person new to MB

midwaybrit

midwaybrit

I read lots of good things about MB and when I saw support for Roku, I thougt now is the time to try. I have used and supported Plex for a few years and have to admit to being a bit scared off by your interface. It seems so different and having used the P word for so long, I am well used to it.

So should I percevere ? Can you give me any tips for getting the Server running at its best for Roku. Do you support playback of mkv files through MB to Roku !

Thanks for your time.

Redshirt

Hi.

Installing MB server on the same machine as Plex is safe. It won't overwrite your metadata and images in Plex. Unless you change the defaults. So there's no risk of losing anything other than your time. So with that being said...

We have a whole section of the forum that contains helpful articles to help new users get set up. That knowledge base is here

The Roku MB3 client favors mp4 media that is encoded with H264/aac (I believe). If your media isn't in the preferred format the client will still play the media but the server will be transcoding it into a format the Roku client asks for. All I can really say is dig in and see for yourself what you think. I think you'll find our development community is very active in the forums.

• Like 1

Assuming your running a Roku with version 5.1 of their software or above, then the MB roku channel will direct play the MKV files. Now that is also assuming the contents of the video are compatible. Meaning they need to be h264 video with AAC, AC3 or DTS audio (the last two are pass through). Now if it doesn't fully match but partially does then the server would only convert the needed part. Like if the video is a match, but the audio isn't compatible with the Roku, we would convert the audio so it is.

... and have to admit to being a bit scared off by your interface. It seems so different and having used the P word for so long, I am well used to it.

Can you be more specific here?  What about the interface is so different?  What makes it seem worse than Plex?

sfnetwork

The big difference with MB solution is everything around the media (metadata, RT review, scene selections, trailers, etc... the list can be long here  ;) )

Of course, MB is still growing (and fast) but there are features/clients that doesn't exist yet in MB but it,s just a question of time.

Also, one VERY COOL and IMPORTANT difference is that MB dev team is really opened on road maps and what they are working on, etc... Plex community is always in the dark for those. So you basically have no idea if a feature will ever see light (ex: local trailer request).

I have never seen a request or idea been ignore here, always gets an answer and explanation...

About the interface, take to time to play in it, you'll see that it's actually more fun and interesting with all those features surrounding the media. (like seeing the actors images, and their BIO, RT review, etc...)

As for the Roku, Roku has its limitations, MB will take the maximum out of it but at some point, there is a limit that MB can't go further (example, UI SDK)

Grant has done a very nice job in the interface, making it fun and nice to navigating even with those limits. And it uses MB features (scene selections, etc...) And it's far from completed so, high hope!

But Plex RARFlix is the exception in Plex, ljunkie (Rarflix dev) isn't officially part of Plex team (and it shows). But there are things he wishes he could do but is limited by Plex PMS (ex: watched indicators). And he is just like the other users, waiting for Plex team, in the dark... He should join us IMO, lol....

I am using both environments very actively so I'm objective here.

sfnetwork

When (or if) Roku will update their UI sdk, it will be interesting seeing what will happen (seeing what was done with existing limitations).

Edited by sfnetwork