Bug: TrueHD playback results in playback error

3psus
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Problem: When trying to play a Movie with a TrueHD (8-chan) track (which the server selects by default if available), playback fails.

Specifics: On Chrome, this results in "Video Error: there was an error playing the video". On iOS (AirPlay or not), playback just hangs and won't play. On Edge browser, just hangs and won't play. I know of at least 2 different movies in my library that have TrueHD audio, and this problem is persistent. I have had this problem on iOS since release but I don't know for the browsers.

I'll attach logs. Is there a way to tell the server not to use TrueHD tracks? This would be useful before this issue gets sorted out.

Not used to reporting bugs yet, tell me if more info is needed :)

server-63586379399.txt

transcode-cb016c43-8309-45a3-b904-5eaf2082e553.txt

• Solution

Hi, welcome. It's not so much a truehd issue. The issue is that transcoding of folder-rip structures is something we consider experimental. It will work with some titles, but not at all with others. Unfortunately the tools we depend on have no direct support for these structures. For the ones that do happen to work, it's been quite an effort just to get them to that point.

• Like 1

Hi Luke, thanks for this fast reply. I understand the situation. Is there a way to tell the server to autoselect another audio track then? I don't having to configure it manually for each movie that has this issue.

Not really unless changing your audio preference in user settings does the trick. Since this bluray has only a single m2ts i do see an opportunity to treat it more like a plain video file, so i'll add that for a future release.

That's good! The issue is actually the worst on chrome since there is almost no time to change the audio preference before the fallback to the error message. On iOS for instance, playback will just stall and you can then change audio setting to resolve the issue. An option to select quality before starting playback could also be helpful.

I also realized that I have a similar problem with my Star Wars collection, in which all movies are in .mkv and have this sole audio track (apart from commentaries in AAC, which are working):

Codec: DCA
Profile: DTS-ES
Layout: 6.1
Channels: 7 ch

I am in the process of trying to replicate this issue with other formats I have in my library, but so far everything else works as expected. I'll attach the new logs.

Edit: The DTS-ES tracks seem to be causing playback errors.

server-63586379399.txt

transcode-365dd02d-e495-4b46-81c2-acd93e2e5f49.txt

Edited by 3psus

that's not the same problem. that is successfully transcoding whereas the folder rip was jjust ffmpeg throwing an error

It is actually the same problem as the original post, but with a .mkv and the audio track I detailed in post #5.

So the problem is, when I hit play: On Chrome, this results in "Video Error: there was an error playing the video". On iOS (AirPlay or not), playback just hangs and won't play.

I see the issue. It's being resolved for the next release of the server and the app. The app will take a couple weeks because itunes is on holiday break right now, i can't even submit a beta. thanks.

• Like 1