MB3 Streaming to Tablets, Phones, Etc

cmcmill2

cmcmill2

For streaming to tablets and phones does it just use your local WIFI through your router with no internet required?  

I have a 250 GB cap on my internet usage so I am curious how streaming movies will affect this; I am assuming not at all and it just uses the browser as an interface but the actual streaming is done via my network.

Sorry for such a basic question; I read various articles but I was still confused.  New to this sort of thing.

Thanks!

It uses whatever connection the device in question is using for internet access.

So, if it is your phone/tablet in your house and you have wifi turned on and it is connected to your local network, then it will use that.  If it is using the cell network, then it will use that.

cmcmill2

Thanks!  So when I am on my home network the actual 1 GB or so that streams for a movie is via my server and has no affect on my overall internet usage.  (i.e. uses part of the 250 GB cap I have)?

Thanks for any clarity.

Thanks!  So when I am on my home network the actual 1 GB or so that streams for a movie is via my server and has no affect on my overall internet usage.  (i.e. uses part of the 250 GB cap I have)?

Thanks for any clarity.

Correct

Assuming that you don't have any ports in your router open, then you can be sure that if you are watching a movie from your server, you are using the internal connectrion.

If you have the ports open in your router to allow external access, then it will depend on what address do you use to connect to the server. If you use your external IP address, then you might consume some of your bandwidth.

cmcmill2

Thanks Pelon.  I will verify the setup on my router.  With 3 kids 250 GB goes pretty quick between Netflix and my daughters obsession with Snapchat and Tumblr.  

Assuming that you don't have any ports in your router open, then you can be sure that if you are watching a movie from your server, you are using the internal connectrion.

If you have the ports open in your router to allow external access, then it will depend on what address do you use to connect to the server. If you use your external IP address, then you might consume some of your bandwidth.

Not if you are connected with the device via WiFi...

dannieboiz

Not if you are connected with the device via WiFi...

So are you saying that even if you're on your LAN wifi and you connect to www.abc.com/8096/ it will still go through your lan? This is not logical because when you use your domain name it would point you to  your public IP there for it would still use your internet data. 

Scott84Z28

So are you saying that even if you're on your LAN wifi and you connect to www.abc.com/8096/ it will still go through your lan? This is not logical because when you use your domain name it would point you to  your public IP there for it would still use your internet data. 

Most phone are setup to use the Wifi connection over your 3G/cellular connection for cost reasons.  It doesn't matter whether it's an internal or external site.  That's the whole point of using Wifi on your phone, so that you don't have to use your expensive data plan.

Most phone are setup to use the Wifi connection over your 3G/cellular connection for cost reasons.  It doesn't matter whether it's an internal or external site.  That's the whole point of using Wifi on your phone, so that you don't have to use your expensive data plan.

Aside from that most routers do not have loop back so if you called your.ddns.com while on you lan it will fail to connect