how many clients

candybar213

candybar213

I am wondering if I need to run two servers in my house when I make the switch to MBT right now my server is running two rokus but soon to add a third and then when I a ready I will be switching my HTPC to MBT. My HTPC is running MB2 at the moment with shark007 of course all of that will go away and the server will be doing all of the trans-coding. If there is a problem I can run a second server on the HTPC that is dedicated to that and leave my existing one for all the roku and possibly phones or the occasional web viewer. The only reason I have not to run two server anyway is for the profiles would not be the same on all machines in the house, if this becomes the only way then I will gladly run two but would like to keep the experience as seemless and true to what the dev team is trying for. It looks really amazing so far my entire family is excited and keeps asking when we are going to switch over. My server is HP p6605f seems to run things fine now.

Yes, that's correct.  It means the MBT player would just pull the video straight from your file system and basically leave the server out of it.  This is how MBC plays items.

candybar213

sorry for my ignorance but does direct play mean the server machine will not have to transcode the video? If so where will this be handled, would be awesome if it was on the MBT machine? Would this make it so an overload on the server would not mess up the MBT at all?

Yes, that's correct.  It means the MBT player would just pull the video straight from your file system and basically leave the server out of it.  This is how MBC plays items.

Does this mean that at this time MBT is transcoding even if it is installed in the same machine as the server? How does MBT handle passthrough audio?

Does this mean that at this time MBT is transcoding even if it is installed in the same machine as the server? How does MBT handle passthrough audio?

I don't believe MBT is transcoding anything at all at the moment. I assume it is just using the streaming direct play url or is accessing the raw file. @@Luke can say for sure.

candybar213

MBT has added streaming from the server for when it's unable to access your media files directly.

so is it still the plan to run it like ebr stated earlier 

and wil MBT do it this way no matter the format (.mkv, .avi, .mp4) and with any codec so the server will be left alone only to display what media is available. 

so is it still the plan to run it like ebr stated earlier 

and wil MBT do it this way no matter the format (.mkv, .avi, .mp4) and with any codec so the server will be left alone only to display what media is available. 

That is exactly what it is doing now. It just directly accesses the file or if it is unable to do that, it will use the stream url to access it directly.