iOS app loses connection to Chromecast on switch from foreground

smalik0

When casting to a Chromecast from the iOS app, the app loses connection to the Chromecast when the app switches from the foreground on the device (eg pressing home button, locking the device). The chromecast is then stuck doing whatever it was doing, and the Emby app can no longer cast to the device, stop whatever is currently playing, or even quit Emby on the Chromecast. The only way to fix this is to cast to the Chromecast from another app to override the broken connection.

• Like 2

Thanks. An update is in review and should be out in the next few days. Please test on that and let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

With the latest update, the app can be reconnected simply by disconnecting and reconnecting to the Chromecast; however, the app still loses connection on switch from foreground.

Ok, unfortunately I can't push public betas right now due to ITunes being on holiday although I can push to the private beta group so that the members of that group can at least start testing the fix there.

• 1 month later...
jscoys

Hi guys,

Seems the bug comes back unfortunately...

Maybe the new way of sending the server to stop Transcoding when we close the app by swiping bottom to up or by un-focuse has a link... Anyway if we get out of the IOS app, we lose the link with the Chrome Cast. We have to "Disconnect" and then Broadcast again to stop the movie on chromecast. Could you have a look on it @@Luke?

Edited by jscoys

richardsonkane75

Chromecast app>Devices>Your device>Bottom of "Device info" page.

Then you reboot your phone that started the movie. The Chromecast keeps on playing, as expected. But once your phone is rebooted, it won't know that it started playing the movie, so it doesn't take control of playback. In fact, at this point, nothing is in control of the playback. I don't think there's a way to stop the playback at all at this point. 

jscoys

Chromecast app>Devices>Your device>Bottom of "Device info" page.

Then you reboot your phone that started the movie. The Chromecast keeps on playing, as expected. But once your phone is rebooted, it won't know that it started playing the movie, so it doesn't take control of playback. In fact, at this point, nothing is in control of the playback. I don't think there's a way to stop the playback at all at this point. 

My English is not perfect, I know... But I never said that I reboot my device. The simple fact to switch with an other app on my Iphone by pressing twice the bottom button is enough to loose the control...

jscoys

Hi,

As you can see on this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_O3UebzWSc, Emby totally loose the connection with Chrome Cast on these situation on IOS :

- Switch between applications

- Go to the home screen (Emby is in the background)

- Close Emby app and relaunch it

Please do something for this (If not already done). I think that there is a link with recent modifications for stopping Transcoding on the server when the app is closed or loose focus...

Thx.

ianawilson

I started using emby early this year (either late Jan or early Feb) and have always had this problem with iOS + Chromecast. As soon as the app goes into the background (including if the phone locks, but I don't switch away from the app), I lose control from the app. This happens whether media is playing or not -- in other words, if media is playing, I lose control of playback, and if no media is playing, the "ready to cast" loop will continue indefinitely, even if I try to play something.

There is no way to get control again except to use emby or any other Chromecast-enabled app and connect to the Chromecast, interrupting the current stream. Using the Disconnect option under the Chromecast menu has no effect either.

If I can be helpful in providing any additional information on this, I would be happy to. This is a feature I would *really* like to see work, as it's preventing me from trying emby as a replacement for my other set-top streaming setup. I was originally recommended to try emby by friends who love this feature, but they use Android, which I understand doesn't have this issue.

rafinha

same issue here :(
I need disconnect and connect again to take control, so no pause or anything else meanwhile :(