Direct Play

Condor_Toronto

Condor_Toronto
I am running the latest Emby Server (Version 3.0.5781.6) on my Samsung TV (Samsung PN64F8500) - the App version is 1.0v (I tried 3-4 different earlier versions as well).

No matter what settings I try, EVERY movie I play through the app is showing 'Direct Steaming' - the quality is very good, so it is not really a big deal, however I wonder whether is this an inherent issue with this app or am I still doing something wrong?

The TV is connected to the LAN with CAT6 cable on a 1GB Cisco switch.
What is important to notice that I do also have Plex Server and the SAME movies ALWAYS 'Direct Play' on Plex.

I have path substitutions configured properly, and I tried every version of a videos - SD, HD (720p, 1080p, 480p), etc. - they always show as  'Direct Streaming'.

So, the big question is - is it possible to do 'Direct Play' on this app? Does anybody managed to make their movies to 'Direct Play'?

Thank you for any help.

Condor_Toronto

Really?

Well, that is good news, but don't you think it would be a good idea to name it 'Direct Play' vs. 'Direct Streaming' - it seems that terms is kind of a standard?

It would also eliminate any user confusion.

BTW- what playback modes are there in the app? 

in Plex there are 4:

- Direct Play

- Direct Streaming

- Transcoding - Audio Only

- Transcoding - Video Only or Both

- Any other?

Thank you for your help.

CBers

they're the same thing we're just giving them different names

No they're not!

Direct Streaming is via the server where it creates a stream, whereas Direct Play is direct from the source.

The Samsung Smart TV's can't directly access the source, so it needs the server to create a stream for it, hence the message.

@@cmcg or @@FrostByte will be able to supply further information, but I guess Plex are fudging it.

• Like 2

FrostByte

According to Plex's definition:

DP: when the container and contents are playable on the device without transcoding

DS: when the media contents of the file are compatible, but only the container needs to be changed.  Video and audio is extracted and put into a compatible container before playing.  Takes little processor time and media contents aren't changed.

According to this definition Emby is Direct Playing all my content.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250387-Streaming-Media-Direct-Play-and-Direct-Stream

Edited by FrostByte

CBers

I thought we had that discussion months back that the Sammy TV's can't direct play due to networking limitations?

Direct Streaming and Direct Play are definitely not the same though.

Directplay = can directly access the file via drive letter or path. If the server crashed, this would keep playing regardless in the client.

Directstream = cannot directly access the file, it has to use http streaming. This is dependent on the server, if it crashes the file wont play completely.

Directstream transcode = will change the container and copy the video and audio streams. Emby needs correct keyframe information in the video stream to do this.

Transcode = change container, and a video or audio stream. Everybody knows this one. :)

Plex calls it directplay when it technically isnt.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 4

Redshirt

That's interesting that Plex's terminology makes it look like they are direct playing more content than they actually are. Makes emby look inferior simply for being honest.

• Like 1

FrostByte

What speechless said is the definition we are going by now.  When chessdragon136 originally wrote the app he was going by Plex's definition, then he said no it's direct streaming and cmcg started changing the wording everywhere in the app to match.  Either way you cut it, Plex isn't doing anything Emby isn't

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 2

Yes that's why we have to adjust because it will create a perception problem. Our direct play and direct stream really are the same thing, just two different ways of delivering the original file. Our terminology is arguably a little raw while other apps use more optimistic-sounding descriptions. In the case of the other apps, direct stream means a container swap without any encoding. We are going to have to adapt just so that we don't end up appearing inferior.

• Like 2

CBers

Direct Play. Works for me.

Unless the Samsung TV can Direct Play, then it should stay as Direct Stream, otherwise we're gonna confuse and mislead people.

shorty1483

Direct Play. Works for me.

Coming from Plex in mid year I also had to learn that Emby is more honest than Plex in giving infos what it's acutally doing.

But I never saw any Direct Playing on my Sammy with the app. Just Direct Streaming due to the file serving over server. When looking into the log, Emby serves the Movie as Stream.mkv to the Sammy. Is there any overview which TV's are capable of real Direct Playing?

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

shorty1483

And when thinking further. What needs to be discussed if it's always streaming if Emby sits between the file and Samsung TV or if Direct Streaming is just when Emby serves hls or another streaming format.

When Emby serves the stream as Stream.mkv with it's original size with no changes to the file itself and no e.g. hls streaming segments, me personally would say that we are talking about Direct Playing in case of Sammy.

Generally I think On Sammy we just have the following scenarios, Direct Play or Video/Audio-Transcoding. No need to invent 10 different geeky types of content presentation like Plex does. Emby stands for simplicity at the end.

This is just my opinion. Perhaps I also missed something in my mind?

Edited by shorty1483

CBers

If the TV can access the source directly, such as MBC does, then it is Direct Playing, otherwise it is Direct Streaming.

If it needs anything converted to allow playback, then it is transcoding.

shorty1483

If the TV can access the source directly, such as MBC does, then it is Direct Playing, otherwise it is Direct Streaming.

If it needs anything converted to allow playback, then it is transcoding.

So we are talking about UNC path e.g.. Is the theory right that no Samsung TV is able to Direct Play? I'm not aware of any Samsung TV that can access files directly without SamyGo or a DLNA/Streaming Server..

Edited by shorty1483

CBers

I think that's correct, hence the stream that is created.

I always thought that in the early days of the app, it was Direct Playing, as I could restart the server without issue, but perhaps it wasn't and I was just fortunate.

CBers

Changed "Direct Stream" to "Direct Play".

But the app doesn't Direct Play, it Streams.

If you've got to change it, just have it say "Direct" and drop Play/Stream.

That's how EBR has it in the Android TV app.