Transcoding contines on server after you stop video on iOS

chrisoldroyd

chrisoldroyd

I have noticed that if I start a video playing on my iPhone 6 Plus then stop it after a few minutes the transcoding doesn't stop on my server it carries on unless I physically kill it using task manager. Is this normal behaviour as it is maxing out my server if I start playing something else. I am running the latest stable version of Emby Server on Windows 10.

I eventually get numerous ffmpeg instances in task manager all using resources.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by chrisoldroyd

I've noticed the same thing. I had to restart Emby to stop these transcode processes. I am running Emby on Windows 7 and using the latest Emby iOS app.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this behavior couple times also. It happened on various clients, not only iOS. When I noticed it, it was after some kind of playback issue happened originaly. I can try to reproduce it if you need more details Luke.

• 2 weeks later...
GhostRider

I have the same issue with iOS app 1.05 and Emby Server Version 3.0.5785.0 running on Windows 7.

I close the iOS app by dragging the app off the top of the screen.

Happy to provide any logs if this will help with fixing this issue.

Edited by GhostRider

Deihmos

Apparently you can't stop the video by closing the app like that. You first have to press that X to stop the video or ffmpeg wouldn't know to stop transcoding.

• Like 1

GhostRider

Apparently you can't stop the video by closing the app like that. You first have to press that X to stop the video or ffmpeg wouldn't know to stop transcoding.

Tried the X method to stop the video. This does stop the server transcoding, a very non iOS way of closing an app though.

GhostRider

Thinking a little more about the X method to stop the video. If I simply drag the app towards the top the iPad device disappears in the media server web home page so the server knows the device has disconnected. I think I can manage to remember to use the X method but other users will struggle with that and once two ffmpeg processes are running the CPU on my server is maxed out and play back suffers. Any chance that there is a way to support closing by dragging the app up on the screen?

GhostRider

A quick test with the original media browser app shows that dragging the app off the top of the screen does stop the ffmpeg process on the server so I guess it is doable in the Emby app.

Deihmos

A quick test with the original media browser app shows that dragging the app off the top of the screen does stop the ffmpeg process on the server so I guess it is doable in the Emby app.

How do you get that app?

Lawrage

Have noticed the same thing recently, wasnt sure which app was responsible as we use a multitude of apps in the house but I had to kill 4 instances of ffmpeg the other day with no clients playing at the time due to my CPU sitting at 100%.

Deihmos

A lot of people probably don't even realize that this happens. I stopped using the app until this can get fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
Deihmos

I still have it too from downloading through iTunes when I bought the original app.

I wish I could test it out. Not being able to stop the transcoding process is just a deal breaker and there is no sync.

Edited by Deihmos

I'm working on fixes for both the browser and the ios app to make sure transcoding is stopped if you stop in alternative ways like just simply closing the browser or the app. I am also looking at what happens when playback fails to start and making sure that transcoding is also getting stopped there.

• Like 1

Alejandrix

Happens to me as well, with the latest beta and the iOS app or chrome. Sometimes even if I press pause and then the x the ffmpeg process won't stop.

GhostRider

I'm working on fixes for both the browser and the ios app to make sure transcoding is stopped if you stop in alternative ways like just simply closing the browser or the app. I am also looking at what happens when playback fails to start and making sure that transcoding is also getting stopped there.

That is great news, thanks Luke.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. i haven't had a chance to put the new 1.09 release on the blog yet but that fix was the main focus.

Deihmos

I still have this issue. If you are viewing a video then minimize then when you return to the emby app ffmpeg starts up even though nothing is playing. Closing the app does not stop it either. When I change the streaming quality it creates another ffmpeg process and leaves one when I close the app. 

Is it possible to add an option for sync for iOS? I can sync to a folder then watch something without transcoding.

Edited by Deihmos