[Docker] New Testing Image

hurricanehrndz

hurricanehrndz

New Docker Image enters testing phase:

There is way too many new things and too much to explain to make a super long post. So I have added to the wiki. An official armv7l is coming we are just waiting for OBS to catch up and build our binaries. Once that is complete we should have an image that is practically the same size.

Snippet from wiki:

After much user feedback we have reworked our Docker images from the ground up. We are now following Docker's best practices for writing a Dockerfile. Our build begins on OBS where we are using openSUSE's Kiwi imaging system for our new base image with ffmpeg and mono pre-installed. The new image weights in just shy of 320 MB, by comparison our Debian base image was about 850 MB. Additionally, we are now using a rolling release distribution. We felt that we needed to be on the cutting edge as much a possible so our new distro of choice is Tumbleweed. Why Tumbleweed, we hope that by using openSUSE's imaging system and distros we can support as many architectures as possible and have full control of every single binary found on the system. This is how we were able to minimize the foot print of the images. Full list of changes follows:

• Custom base image built from SCRATCH.
  • Tubleweed
  • static ffmpeg (smaller footprint)
  • S6-overlay used as our process supervisor (needed for restart and no dependencies)
  • new installation script
  • systemd script included
  • emby-server script included
  • one easy command setup

You can see the size on the docker hub:

https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/emby-server/tags/ 

134 MB 

That's compressed of course.

Please test and report any issues. 

Edited by hurricanehrndz
  • Like 1

Douglas_D

Remove the "  /" at the end of the URL and it should bring it up correctly.

Hurricane, does this test docker container utilize the latest rev of Emby (3.0.5724.6)?  I've been chomping at the bit waiting to test out the new Chrome Transcoding rules. :)

hurricanehrndz

Remove the "  /" at the end of the URL and it should bring it up correctly.

Hurricane, does this test docker container utilize the latest rev of Emby (3.0.5724.6)?  I've been chomping at the bit waiting to test out the new Chrome Transcoding rules. :)

Yes it does. It has the new beta.

Capt.Insano

@@hurricanehrndz

I use your unRAID template.xml for Emby Server, in your opinion is this Emby Container ready for daily driver usage?

Is there a repo with the stable Emby Server (currently 3.0.5781.8) built on this new image base (tumbleweed) or is it just beta versions of Emby?

hurricanehrndz

I will be updating to stable within the next couple of hours. I believe yes that it is ready for daily use. There might be some issue and feature request that users need to submit. Eventually this image will replace the others. Right now we are looking for user feedback in order ensure that we are heading in the right direction. There seems to be no voice from the users whatsoever. So It will be interesting to see how many people complain when this because the default yet they didn't voice their opinion when they had the chance.

Capt.Insano

I look forward to testing it this evening after it is updated to stable (I would like to ensure any issues I may have are not related to changing both the base of the container AND changing to a dev build!!).

Will report back on findings.

Thanks for these updates and improvements hurricane!

agreenfield1

I'm using this version; working fine so far I think.  A couple observations (not sure if they are related to the docker image, or Emby on linux)

- Upgrading the Emby version can't be done from the web page, so no automatic updates I guess?.  This would be easier for me compared to doing a docker pull, deleting the container, and running again.  I suppose it would be possible to update from within the container using zypper.

- New files aren't being picked up until a full scan is run.  I had the same issue on the other docker image, so this is probably an issue with the linux version of Emby?  Files are mounted as an smb share on the docker host, and a subdirectory is passed to the Emby insance.

hurricanehrndz

I'm using this version; working fine so far I think.  A couple observations (not sure if they are related to the docker image, or Emby on linux)

- Upgrading the Emby version can't be done from the web page, so no automatic updates I guess?.  This would be easier for me compared to doing a docker pull, deleting the container, and running again.  I suppose it would be possible to update from within the container using zypper.

- New files aren't being picked up until a full scan is run.  I had the same issue on the other docker image, so this is probably an issue with the linux version of Emby?  Files are mounted as an smb share on the docker host, and a subdirectory is passed to the Emby insance.

Upgrading from the interface has never worked on any linux distributions. I will try and add this feature when I get some time, but I have been fairly busy getting all the packages updated. Scans can be scheduled to run at a certain interval. There use to be a file watcher, but I'm not sure if that is a feature of Emby on linux, too many users were reporting issues. I know there is  way to enable the filewatcher through an xml setting, but I'm not 100% certain how or where. Perhaps, Luke can comment on file watching. 

agreenfield1

Upgrading from the interface has never worked on any linux distributions. I will try and add this feature when I get some time, but I have been fairly busy getting all the packages updated. Scans can be scheduled to run at a certain interval. There use to be a file watcher, but I'm not sure if that is a feature of Emby on linux, too many users were reporting issues. I know there is  way to enable the filewatcher through an xml setting, but I'm not 100% certain how or where. Perhaps, Luke can comment on file watching. 

Ah, thanks for the info.  Before I was running Emby on a server with a bunch of other stuff, so Emby would get updated during my periodic apt-get upgrades.  

I found <EnableLibraryMonitor>Auto</EnableLibraryMonitor> in the config/system.xml file.  Emby didn't like it when I set it to true (gave me the original setup screen).  Not sure this is the one you are referring to.

edit: good answer above

Edited by agreenfield1

agreenfield1

Having a problem now after trying to update (redeploying after a docker pull).  Emby not starting, with this error: "su: user env does not exist".  FYI, I'm trying to run Emby in the 'manual' mode as described in the wiki.

Example (non-working) run command:

docker run -d -p 1900:1900/udp -p 8096:8096 -p 8920:8920 -p 7359:7359/udp -v /home/agreenfield1/docker/emby:/config -v /mnt/Shares:/mnt --name=some-emby4 -e EMBYSERVER_USER=root -e EMBYSERVER_CONFIG=/config --restart=always emby/emby-server:testing

Edited by agreenfield1

ralph09

I get the same issue as agreenfield1 when running the new docker image. It seems that the emby install in the docker image is old (there is an error in the emby-server.sh script that looks for $USER instead of $EMBY_USER and so no user name gets passed to su). Additionally the update script in the docker image doesn't work because it tries to update the packer emby-server-dev instead of just emby-sever. You can manually update the emby-server install by attaching to the running image with a

docker exec -it emby-server /bin/bash

and executing the commands in the update script, i.e.

s6-svc -d /var/run/s6/services/emby-server

zypper ref

zypper up emby-server

s6-svc -u /var/run/s6/services/emby-server

and then exiting the shell.

I also had to update the emby-server script that gets installed on the host because it tries to pull emby/emby-server:latest which doesn't exist. I changed them all to testing to get it to work.

Hope that's helpful

Edited by ralph09

hurricanehrndz

I get the same issue as agreenfield1 when running the new docker image. It seems that the emby install in the docker image is old (there is an error in the emby-server.sh script that looks for $USER instead of $EMBY_USER and so no user name gets passed to su). Additionally the update script in the docker image doesn't work because it tries to update the packer emby-server-dev instead of just emby-sever. You can manually update the emby-server install by attaching to the running image with a

docker exec -it emby-server /bin/bash

and executing the commands in the update script, i.e.

s6-svc -d /var/run/s6/services/emby-server

zypper reg

zypper up emby-server

s6-svc -u /var/run/s6/services/emby-server

and then exiting the shell.

I also had to update the emby-server script that gets installed on the host because it tries to pull emby/emby-server:latest which doesn't exist. I changed them all to testing to get it to work.

Hope that's helpful

Thanks for reporting the issues. I will have a look into soon and report back. Thank  you.

mgworek

I tried using this on unraid by changing the repo. it downloads but errors out when trying to start. I get the following error repeatedly "user env does not exist" 

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
met4lface

Threw in a new ssd cache drive and when i pulled a new image, I ended up with Version 3.0.5817.0. I made sure to not choose dev or beta. Am I missing something? I'm trying to get the latest stable version.

Edited by met4lface

Hi,

Not sure if I am doing this correctly.  The steps I did were:

1)  went to my dockers and chose "stop" for the current emby docker.

2)  clicked on docker repositories and pasted in "https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Build/tree/master/unraid-templates/emby"

3) went back to docker tab and clicked "add container", then "select a template" - "emby" -  "embyserver"

4) it autopopulated in the settings I had from the previous emby server docker (/mnt/cache/appdata/emby for /config, and /mnt for /mnt)

5) clicked save and let it go.

6) started the docker and went to the webgui - and it wants to start from scratch (welcome to Emby, create users, etc)

do I really have to recreate all of my users and custom settings etc?   I thought with the same volume mappings it would find my old configs?

also, why do both the old and new templates point toward

Container Page: https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/emby/embyserver/

this seems to mean they are the same thing ?

thanks for the help,

(btw, I have not deleted my old emby docker yet....just have it "stopped")

I think it is working now - missed something simple.  The new docker defaults for volume mapping was just *almost* the same.  Except it used lowercase emby and I previously had Emby for the appdata/Emby directory.  Fixed the case and it detected my settings.  Sorry for the bother - maybe this helps someone else with this issue in the future.

Edited by chuga
  • Like 1