Change Screensaver on Emby Roku?

hyttam

Again...awesome product all around. I use it on something like 9 devices in 3 countries.

On my Roku's I have installed the Picasa 2 screensaver to show my pictures and that works fine when it runs from the home screen. But when the screensaver starts in Emby it either brings up the emby logo screen saver or the default roku screensaver. How do I change that setting.

Untrue, sorry.

I had already selected Picasa2 in the system settings. It still shows either the roku or emby screensaver when it goes to sleep in the middle of using emby. 

This is true on all 4 of my rokus.

yea in the emby app we've registered a screensaver but we can't control which one the system will choose. so i guess that must be what it does then.

• 3 years later...
sleightahand

Has this still not been corrected?  I have the system set to do a screensaver (power off screen when listening to music) at 1 minute, but in Emby the screensaver never comes on.

This topic is really, really old.   Can you please describe the exact issue you are having?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2019 at 12:30 PM, ebr said:

This topic is really, really old.   Can you please describe the exact issue you are having?

Thanks.

Yes, at least I can tell you what the OP was dealing with.  There's an endless number of screen savers you can choose from on the Roku but when invoked by the Emby app it loads a default Roku logo screensaver regardless of whatever you have set in the Roku settings.   

Interestingly, this happens to me when a video is paused for a specified timeout period or else when the app hangs on trying to buffer the next video.  When the app is at rest, the normal screen saver comes up.

Edited by GregMo

Gilgamesh_48
3 hours ago, GregMo said:

Yes, at least I can tell you what the OP was dealing with.  There's an endless number of screen savers you can choose from on the Roku but when invoked by the Emby app it loads a default Roku logo screensaver regardless of whatever you have set in the Roku settings.   

Interestingly, this happens to me when a video is paused for a specified timeout period or else when the app hangs on trying to buffer the next video.  When the app is at rest, the normal screen saver comes up.

That is normal behavior. The screensaver defaults to the basic Roku screensaver if there is not enough memory available to run the selected screensaver and when a video is paused there is not a lot of free memory. When the app is at rest there is quite a bit of available memory but there is little available in the situations you mention.

Emby has no control over this but rather it is the Roku firmware that is in control.

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

That is normal behavior. The screensaver defaults to the basic Roku screensaver if there is not enough memory available to run the selected screensaver and when a video is paused there is not a lot of free memory. When the app is at rest there is quite a bit of available memory but there is little available in the situations you mention.

Emby has no control over this but rather it is the Roku firmware that is in control.

That makes sense.  It got me wondering how other apps such as Netflix do it and then it dawned on me.  After being paused for a set amount of time, Netflix will return to an idle state and wait.  After another period of inactivity the Roku displays the user selected screensaver.  Maybe Emby should behave in this matter also?