#1 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1378 posts
  • Local time: 12:05 AM
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:02 AM

Last week I worked on all my MKV's to have no internal default or forced subs, just one external srt with the forced subs (thx to @Luke and @ebr for the hint).

When I did some tests today regarding a problem from another user, I noticed a weird Server behaviour using WebClient on Chrome. I hope it's reproducable. 

Scenario:

- Subtitle Setting: Play just forced

56712afbe5f42_SubtitleSetting.png

- MKV with internal subs, all NOT default and NOT forced

- one external sub named after naming convention "<filename>.ger.forced.srt"

Problem:

- Even if the external forced srt exists, ffmpeg starts to do an internal sub extract job parallel to the original transcoding process and ignores the existing external forced sub

- When killing the sub extract ffmpeg processes manually, the Video starts immediately in WebPlayer.

- This bug occurs with video streamcopy and total transcoding on latest Chrome, but not on Firefox.

This happens with every file with internal and external subs. Samples attached for 2 files (Mediainfo, Transcode log). Last week the behaviour was not present and Emby respected the sub setting.

Attached Files

Edited by shorty1483, 17 December 2015 - 04:56 AM.

#2 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1378 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:51 AM

Bug still present in 3.0.5828.29619 on Chrome WebClient.

I'm sure this can be reproduced also with other language settings.

Edited by shorty1483, 17 December 2015 - 04:56 AM.

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137730 posts
  • Local time: 06:05 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

Can't reproduce. No problem found. Perhaps the extraction was cancelled or aborted meaning it never finished so that's why it happened again. Or perhaps you have something deleting files under the server's data folder

#4 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46946 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

Is it possible this is due to the language?

If you look in the media info for the sub for that item, is the code "ger" or is it one of the other possibilities for German?

#5 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1378 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

Is it possible this is due to the language?

If you look in the media info for the sub for that item, is the code "ger" or is it one of the other possibilities for German?

GER is one possibility from the official numbering after ISO-639. Which one for German do I need to choose? https://en.wikipedia...ISO_639-1_codes @Luke Or does Emby recognize them all (de,deu,ger)? I found this thread and from reading, GER should be right (http://emby.media/co...n-audio-tracks/). 

Can't reproduce. No problem found. Perhaps the extraction was cancelled or aborted meaning it never finished so that's why it happened again. Or perhaps you have something deleting files under the server's data folder

All my external subs (one per movie in movie folder) are named <filename>.ger.forced.srt. So they are all recognized as "ger", and "forced" and "external". All internal subs for every file are not default and not forced. They are also correctly shown in Movie Details page in MediaInfo section like in the attached examples. So I expect Emby NOT to start a subtitle extraction job with the above setting, right? For sure I aborted the extraction manually by killing the ffmpeg process, why do I want to let the extraction run, if I already have the forced sub as SRT?

If it would be one or a few items, but I'm talking about all items with internal and external subs that have this problem. The work to reflag all the internal subs, and export the forced to srt was so much work, atm I'm not willing to also delete the internal ones by remuxing 500 files.   :(

Are you using Chrome 48, that's my version but it also happens in Chrome 47. If have to say again, this does not occur in Firefox and Edge.  I swear that everything worked like it should last week. and no, nothing deleted in Emby data. When looking into subtitle folder, I see that the unnecessary sub extractions startet yesterday. Before that date everything worked. No changes in settings.

56730f55b499c_SubtitleFolder.png

Fun fact: I click on Play button, the video does not start (just waiting screen with fanart), I kill subtitle extraction ffmpeg.exe on Server, Video starts immediately, when looking in subtitle setting, the external forced is flagged as active. So why a sub extract job? Did anyone look into the logs? 

Edited by shorty1483, 17 December 2015 - 04:16 PM.

#6 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46946 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:09 PM

In the media info on the detail page, does the internal sub language say "ger" or "de"?

#7 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1378 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:15 PM

In the media info on the detail page, does the internal sub language say "ger" or "de"?

All my external subs (one per movie in movie folder) are named <filename>.ger.forced.srt. So they are all recognized as "ger", and "forced" and "external". All internal subs for every file are not default and not forced. They are also correctly shown in Movie Details page in MediaInfo section like in the attached examples. 

All internal subs are also named "ger".

567318840350e_MediaInfo.png

Edited by shorty1483, 17 December 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#8 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46946 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:23 PM

Okay, then my hunch was wrong.  Thx.

• shorty1483 likes this

#9 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1378 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:55 AM

OK last try... @Luke currently on Dev 3.0.5830.22761, I made some further investigations and came to a scheme in the behaviour of server:

Scenario:

567526e053510_SubSetting.png

- For every file I try, an external SRT marked as <filename>.ger.forced.srt is present. It's also correctly recognized by Emby

- all existing internal subs ar NOT Default and NOT Forced

When playing a mkv in WebPlayer on Chrome:

- dvdsub internal present -> no Sub extraction

- pssub internal present -> no Sub extraction

- ass internal present -> Sub extraction

- srt internal present -> Sub extraction

- when aborting the ffmpeg.exe sub extraction, video starts immediately and the external sub in Movie folder is flagged as currently on

- when restart the same movie, there is no sub extraction due to the file in /data/subtitles (even incomplete because kill process)

I can reproduce this behaviour on Chrome WebClient (not Edge or FF) with every mkv in my library. I can even predict if I need to open RDP to kill sub extraction when looking at Movie MediaInfo before.

This behaviour started with the a Dev Server version after 15.12.. Before there was never any sub in /data/subtitles (shown in the post above). If there was no change in Dev branch, this leads me again to my request: http://emby.media/co...nal-is-present/

The attached zip contains the Server log and 4 folders with the transcode logs and sub extraction logs based on the above explained different subtitle type variations. There must be an explanation why Server calls a sub extraction for srt and ass internal, even when not needed or wanted.

Attached Files

Edited by shorty1483, 20 December 2015 - 05:39 AM.

#10 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1378 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

Still occuring in 3.0.5831.41134.

Edited by shorty1483, 20 December 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#11 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1378 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:26 AM

@Luke

Found a solution to batch disable the internal subs in my mkv's so that Emby does not recognize them. Disadvantage: Since I have to rename the codec-id, the format is lost in future.

Before I will do that, I just wanted to ask if the behaviour of Emby with text based subs I described in the last two posts are worth of examination or if someone will look at the problem. Then I will wait with the internal subtitle killing.

#12 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137730 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

i haven't tested what happens when you manually abort the extraction. That's not something a typical user does so i just haven't put much time into it. The extraction is only when necessary, when the subtitle is going to be used in the video player. There is no extraction for graphic subs like dvd or pgs. Those are always just burned in.

#13 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1378 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:43 PM

i haven't tested what happens when you manually abort the extraction. That's not something a typical user does so i just haven't put much time into it. The extraction is only when necessary, when the subtitle is going to be used in the video player. There is no extraction for graphic subs like dvd or pgs. Those are always just burned in.

That's the problem. The extraction is definitely NOT necessary here, because an external SRT is existing in the Movie directory, as shown in Transcoding log. But Emby does it nevertheless.

I just tested what you said and did not abort the extraction. After extraction, the Movie starts and my external SRT from the movie directory is marked active instead of the just extracted internal subtitle. So the extraction is obviously for nothing. Even if I set the internal subtitles to Undetermined language, Emby extracts the sub, although it's set up just to play german.

56782ced74fce_subs.png

Transcode, where obviously my own forced external SRT is included:

Spoiler

Sub Extraction of the first internal Sub, even when not needed and not flagged forced and/or default:

Spoiler

Attached Files

Edited by shorty1483, 21 December 2015 - 12:49 PM.

#14 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137730 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:47 PM

check your subtitle user settings. external subtitles files are given preference, but language and default flags are given higher preference

#15 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1378 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

check your subtitle user settings. external subtitles files are given preference, but language and default flags are given higher preference

Slowly I'm thinking I'm speaking to a wall.  :wacko:

There is absolutely no default or forced subtitle in all of my mkv's. Sub language is set to german and only play forced in settings. Emby sets my own external forced sub as active, which is right, but nevertheless it extracts an internal sub for no reason,even when the language of the extracted sub is not german. I tested all scenarios. 

If I'm really that dumb I would really appreciate an explanation what I need to choose in settings just to play my files using the external forced sub without the extraction of an internal which is not used in the following playback.

Edited by shorty1483, 21 December 2015 - 01:02 PM.

#16 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1378 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

Solved the problem for myself by now. Just revoked Emby's rights to write into the /data/subtitles folder. Et voila, sub extract ffmpeg instance aborts and video starts with my ext sub. Not elegant, but working.

Sorry to annoy you Luke, but I still think that something's wrong with subtitle processing. Anyway, keep up the awesome work, Emby's a daily companion for me and my family in meantime. :D

Edited by shorty1483, 21 December 2015 - 01:35 PM.

#17 FrostByte OFFLINE  

FrostByte

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 4281 posts
  • LocationThe UP

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

It doesn't fix the problem, but couldn't you just use mkvtoolnix and remove the internal subtitles if you're using the external one?

• shorty1483 likes this

#18 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1378 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

It doesn't fix the problem, but couldn't you just use mkvtoolnix and remove the internal subtitles if you're using the external one?

For around 700 files? Long remuxing process...Additionally I want to keep the internal ones (e.g. full german subs in some movies) just in case. Don't want to remove them completely since this is a Emby specific problem. Other players handle internal subs just fine. I just extracted the forced ones in my native language two weeks ago to eliminate the irritating waiting times until the WebPlayer video starts when ffmpeg extracts the subs (hint by ebr and Luke). Like i said, until last week, the same settings were working without sub extraction. Since 16.12., Emby extracts a sub even it's not supposed to when looking at my environment. But obviously I am the only one with this bug so I guess it's my fault somehow.

Edited by shorty1483, 21 December 2015 - 02:06 PM.

• FrostByte likes this

#19 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137730 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:16 PM

retry on latest dev

• shorty1483 likes this

#20 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1378 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

retry on latest dev

Unnecessary sub extraction still present in 3.0.5833.23808... But thanks for you try.

Attached Files

Edited by shorty1483, 21 December 2015 - 03:01 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Subtitle, Dev, external, internal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users